Applying for pediatric residency - how much clinical exposure is competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangepopsicle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello current D3, rising D4 here. If I am able to do a few externships before PASS applications are due in the fall, would that be enough for a pedo residency program to take my interest in applying their program seriously? Or will they only see me as being competitive if I have more pediatric clinical experience under my belt before even attempting to apply?

Having just recently realized I liked doing dental work on children I am trying to increase my exposure level to pediatric dentistry to show programs I am serious about doing pedo. I am more than willing to do as many externships and shadowing as I can once this covid-19 quarantine is over but it is looking like there won't be much time left in between PASS applications being due and when dental clinics are allowed to re-open and function normally again. Would i be much better off applying for a GPR with a known pediatric focus and reapplying? Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well firstly, I wouldn't refer to it as a pedo residency. Unless you want ian opportunity to introduce yourself to all the neighbors in your local community and to keep your lights turned off on Halloween

Well firstly, I wouldn't refer to it as a pedo residency. Unless you want ian opportunity to introduce yourself to all the neighbors in your local community and to keep your lights turned off on Halloween
Pedo = Pedodontist. This is the common reference to the pediatric dentistry specialty. Pronounced “pee-doe.”

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pedo = Pedodontist. This is the common reference to the pediatric dentistry specialty. Pronounced “pee-doe.”

giphy (17).gif

anyone have an answer to my question? any insight would be really appreciated on how much minimum pediatric exposure is required to be seen as competitive for pediatric residencies these days

Also if I decide to apply for a 1 year GPR with a heavy pediatric focus instead of pediatric residency for PASS this year, wouldn't it kind of put me in the same position again the following year when I start the GPR? I would need to immediately submit PASS applications again right after starting the GPR since most of them start in june or july of the following year which doesn't seem like much of an advantage to me for the second cycle of applying. Does that mean you would have to prepare everything this current application cycle to be ready for the following years pedo residency apps? Does being actively accepted and working in a reputable GPR program during the next cycle give you a significant boost or would you have to finish the program and try reapplying the following year? Can anyone who did a 1 year GPR and got into a pedo residency right after elaborate?