Applying for PGY2 spot in gen surg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prelim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing a preliminary year in gen surg. How do I go about finding open pgy2 spots or finding which programs are looking for pgy2s.

Members don't see this ad.

go to yahoo search engine and type

surgery residency vacancy then you are going to be directed to an AMA website with current vacancies.

There is a website for the APDS (I think that's their acronym). It's the American Program Directors in Surgery, or something like that. They have a list for postions that are open as well as applicants looking for positions. Check it out....

Ok, I just found the link...

http://www.apds.org/

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boots, wonna discuss with me?

prelim said:
I am doing a preliminary year in gen surg. How do I go about finding open pgy2 spots or finding which programs are looking for pgy2s.

The apds site has some ads... I think that if you have a strong app, good inservice scores etc... you couuld catch on somewhere.

But I think that a good way to go about transitioning from the prelim track to the categorical track is to A. take a prelim spot at a larger program that has some flux of residents going into and out of the lab, B. work your ass off and prepare well for your inservice exam, and then C. express interest early on to your PD about becoming a categorical resident.

If you do well, you have a reasonbably good chance of getting offerred a spot at the program where you are. And if that program has no available spots, a sympathetic PD may choose to go to bat for you at another program.

I think that it's getting harder to get these categorical spots, but pgy-2 spots do open up seemingly more than other levels... probably because most people who are going to leave, leave after the first year thereby vacating their pgy-2 slot, whereas fewer people leave after the pgy-2 year.

We have a few prelims at my program who are doing exactly as I described above. There is one guy that has a weak app on paper (low step scores, average grades), but is just a total stud intern. I would be very surprised if he is not a categorical resident next year.

Good luck.

Celiac Plexus said:
The apds site has some ads... I think that if you have a strong app, good inservice scores etc... you couuld catch on somewhere.
QUOTE]

What you mean a strong application, is step scores are not high it is already not strong I guess right? Do you count Step 3 to inservice exams?

vent said:
Celiac Plexus said:
QUOTE]

What you mean a strong application, is step scores are not high it is already not strong I guess right? Do you count Step 3 to inservice exams?

Hi there,
Inservice refers to ABSITE or the American Board of Surgery In-Training exam. USMLE Step 3 is a given.
njbmd