Applying for Pharmacist Jobs before being licensed in the state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasil1496

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they have experience applying to pharmacist positions (primarily hospital settings) before being licensed and getting hired and having time to get the license. I’m asking because I’m willing to work anywhere but don’t want to spend time and money on getting multiple licenses and not getting a job. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you attempting this with NO licensure or do you have a license in at least one state?
If the former, you have basically no chance without an inside connection. If the latter, only if they're desperate. Hospitals generally will have plenty of licensed applicants in this job market.

Are you a new grad or someone with working experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you attempting this with NO licensure or do you have a license in at least one state?
If the former, you have basically no chance without an inside connection. If the latter, only if they're desperate. Hospitals generally will have plenty of licensed applicants in this job market.
I am currently licensed in PA.

Highly unlikely they would wait considering most places want inpatient experience or residency. It sounds like you don't have that and still need for them to wait 3-4 months to get licensed on top of that.

Highly unlikely they would wait considering most places want inpatient experience or residency. It sounds like you don't have that and still need for them to wait 3-4 months to get licensed on top of that.
No I’m licensed in PA so it wouldn’t take me that long I’d be able to move faster. I have some experience but I’ve gotten interviews in multiple states for hospital jobs but most end up saying no because they want quick hires and aren’t willing to wait 2-3 weeks.

You can reciprocate in 2-3 weeks? Nice. Not sure why you are asking then. People who interviewed you, told you what is expected. Sounds like spending time and money is necessary.

No I’m licensed in PA so it wouldn’t take me that long I’d be able to move faster. I have some experience but I’ve gotten interviews in multiple states for hospital jobs but most end up saying no because they want quick hires and aren’t willing to wait 2-3 weeks.

Hmm... most hospitals actually do wait 2-3 weeks if they have an ideal candidate they interview, especially if the candidate is already employed and needs to submit their 2 weeks at their current workplace. I really don't see any hospital hiring a new grad especially coming from out of state. It just doesn't seem ideal especially when they have a surplus of experienced pharmacists and residency-trained pharmacists in the market applying to the same job.

You can reciprocate in 2-3 weeks? Nice. Not sure why you are asking then. People who interviewed you, told you what is expected. Sounds like spending time and money is necessary.
That’s an estimate I’d say no longer than a month. I’m asking because I want to hear others experiences with this. No it’s not worth the time and money when it’s unclear if a job offer is certain that’s the point.

Hmm... most hospitals actually do wait 2-3 weeks if they have an ideal candidate they interview, especially if the candidate is already employed and needs to submit their 2 weeks at their current workplace. I really don't see any hospital hiring a new grad especially coming from out of state. It just doesn't seem ideal especially when they have a surplus of experienced pharmacists and residency-trained pharmacists in the market applying to the same job.
Yeah it would probably take me that time up to a month until I test and move and all that. Yeah that’s the unfortunate part but I’m applying anywhere and everywhere including more rural areas trying to bypass areas that more people would apply to. And I’ve had some opportunities just the license thing seems to be the big road block. If you’re persistent and willing to live anywhere you can make it happen just sucks the licensing system isn’t the best.

I don't want to discourage you but if you are hoping to land a hospital pharmacist job straight out of school without any connections or residency, then your unemployment gap will be much longer.

I don't want to discourage you but if you are hoping to land a hospital pharmacist job straight out of school without any connections or residency, then your unemployment gap will be much longer.
That’s okay I’m currently doing an as needed job and have time especially with loan delays. And I’m adamant and have had opportunities like I’ve said just didn’t have license in the states I had interviews. I’ll get there but just take a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was previous licensed in 15 states and I can tell you nothing takes only 2-3 weeks. Not only do you have to apply, you also have to get your ATT for your MPJE. Then you have to schedule your MPJE. There were several times where I had to wait 3 weeks to even take my exam.

Reactions: 1 users
That's why I was surprised. Few times that I added licenses, it took 2-3 months, and it wasn't during pandemic.

I am sure you can land a job and get licensed after. Like you said, it might take time. Bigger question is how many opportunities you might miss by 'saving' $500-1000 per license. I am not advocating to get 10 more licenses but a couple more might show people that you are serious.

Reactions: 1 user
I was previous licensed in 15 states and I can tell you nothing takes only 2-3 weeks. Not only do you have to apply, you also have to get your ATT for your MPJE. Then you have to schedule your MPJE. There were several times where I had to wait 3 weeks to even take my exam.
It can just depends on how long Baird takes to get att. Took me a month max for PA.

That's why I was surprised. Few times that I added licenses, it took 2-3 months, and it wasn't during pandemic.

I am sure you can land a job and get licensed after. Like you said, it might take time. Bigger question is how many opportunities you might miss by 'saving' $500-1000 per license. I am not advocating to get 10 more licenses but a couple more might show people that you are serious.
Have you ever questioned why it takes so long and costs so much?I am licensed in one state and work for a chain.There is a store in the same chain2 miles away in another state.What threat to public safety am I if I want to get some OT in that other store.?

Have you ever questioned why it takes so long and costs so much?I am licensed in one state and work for a chain.There is a store in the same chain2 miles away in another state.What threat to public safety am I if I want to get some OT in that other store.?

That would be illegal to practice in a state you are not licensed in and I'm sure your company knows this. I live in a corner of my state in which three states intersect. I am licensed in all three states. Typically the place of business covers all costs of secondary licenses so that you can legally cover those stores... or at least they should. Licensure fees and MPJE reimbursement are far cheaper than fines levied by the state Board.

The laws related to generics, controlled substances, transferring prescriptions, prescribing authority, OTC sales of C-V, needles, or Sudafed limits can vary dramatically between states, even neighboring states. You not knowing the laws of the neighboring states can create enough problems for your coworkers who will have to clean up your messes to make them hate you forever. As well as expose your employer and you personally to potential lawsuits.

Reactions: 1 user
The laws related to generics, controlled substances, transferring prescriptions, prescribing authority, OTC sales of C-V, needles, or Sudafed limits can vary dramatically between states, even neighboring states. You not knowing the laws of the neighboring states can create enough problems for your coworkers who will have to clean up your messes to make them hate you forever. As well as expose your employer and you personally to potential lawsuits.
You could learn that in a 1 hour CE course at home for 10 dollars.

You could learn that in a 1 hour CE course at home for 10 dollars.
I would love to know where to find such a class. I practiced 23 years in IL, never found any opportunities for law CE. I would have liked to have had one before I took the VA law exam this year too.