• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Applying for postbac during senior year, take MCAT now or later?

sajeunesse

RN -> PreMed
Mar 25, 2020
Boston, MA
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hello everyone,
To make a long story short, I have a low sGPA (~2.4, failed a course, retook it, got a D in another), with a upward trend of 4.0 every year since.
I am going into my senior year, taking [2 English courses, 1 Bio course (this fall)], and [Org II (this winter)] to finish out my prereqs.

I need to decide when to go for a SMP/post-bac program.

1) Would it be prudent to attend Fall 2021 if I graduate from my bachelor's May 2021?
2) Or, should I wait a year and work as a RN after I graduate right away?

Relating to 1) Would it be prudent to begin studying for the MCAT now (end of June/beginning of July) to take it in late September? (as a MCAT score is required for many SMPs). I go back to school in September.
Relating to 2) Or, should I wait and study for the MCAT after graduation in order to apply during the year I work as a RN?

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Don’t take it until you have finished your degree. You only want to take it once so wait until you have finished all of the prereqs. Besides it might expire before you can use it.
As to the SMP or post bacc have you looked at requirements for SMPS? Many require a 3.0 for admittance . If that’s the case you’ll have to take several semesters of upper level science to get your sGPA up to 3.0 before you can start a SMP.
Why are you switching careers? Would it be better to practice nursing for awhile and pursue graduate nursing degrees? It’s going to be very tough to move that 2.4sGPA at this point. Have you figured out how many hours of As you’ll have to take to get to at least a 3.0? I’d suggest looking at DO schools but despite being more forgiving than MD schools your current sGPA is too low. What is your cGPA? And does your sGPA include the F anD and everything else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

sajeunesse

RN -> PreMed
Mar 25, 2020
Boston, MA
Don’t take it until you have finished your degree. You only want to take it once so wait until you have finished all of the prereqs. Besides it might expire before you can use it.
As to the SMP or post bacc have you looked at requirements for SMPS? Many require a 3.0 for admittance . If that’s the case you’ll have to take several semesters of upper level science to get your sGPA up to 3.0 before you can start a SMP.
Why are you switching careers? Would it be better to practice nursing for awhile and pursue graduate nursing degrees? It’s going to be very tough to move that 2.4sGPA at this point. Have you figured out how many hours of As you’ll have to take to get to at least a 3.0? I’d suggest looking at DO schools but despite being more forgiving than MD schools your current sGPA is too low. What is your cGPA? And does your sGPA include the F anD and everything else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for the advice. I've looked at the requirements and (to me, at least), many required at least a C in the prereqs with at least a 3.0 cGPA, which I have (current it is a 3.1). Yes, the D and F is included in the sGPA I provided.

My career switch interest lies in the fact that graduate nursing degrees are not recognized everywhere and are not able to practice in global health settings. I feel that even with a graduate nursing degree, you're still not completely equipped to understand the disease processs and treatment options.

I'm totally open to practicing nursing for a while, but don't really have interest in the NP route. My own mother is a NP so I know very well their role.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

readmypostsMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Alpha Centauri
  1. Medical Student
I wanted to do an smp after senior year with a low gpa. Decided against it.

was an awful idea, and it ending up taking me 5 years after college to get in

My advice it to apply to med school as soon as possible, bearing you’ve got the ECs etc

sajeunesse

RN -> PreMed
Mar 25, 2020
Boston, MA
I wanted to do an smp after senior year with a low gpa. Decided against it.

was an awful idea, and it ending up taking me 5 years after college to get in

My advice it to apply to med school as soon as possible, bearing you’ve got the ECs etc
so are you saying your decision to not do the SMP program was a mistake? That you should've done the program?
I have the ECs, just not the science GPA.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.