Applying for Psych several years out of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS II who will be entering the Navy following graduation. For personal reasons I'm planning to take a transitional, IM, or psych intern year (Navy medical students only apply for a pgy-1 position as seniors) and will follow that with four years of service as a flight surgeon or general medical officer, which will pay back my entire obligation to the Navy before residency. If I applied for a psychiatry residency at that point, would psychiatry residencies view my military service a positive, or would the time out of medical school be a liability? Could this atypical path open doors that otherwise might not be open (i.e. a top ranked residency program)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on the interview trail right now, and every program I've been to (only applied to 5) has had at least one non-traditional resident. Several converts from family or IM, and one end-of-career cardiologist. I don't think you'll have any trouble, and in fact, I think it will be viewed as an asset to have that experience.

you mean finished cardiology? why do they want psych? and why convert from IM and FP to psych?

the IM and FP people changed in hopes of having more time with their families, but I'm not sure about the cardiologist.