Applying for PT School but had health complications that affected my education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin135

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and I've just graduated from my undergrad and am getting ready to apply to PT schools as well as take the GRE. I did have a rather specific question for my personal experience and how that will translate into my opportunities of getting into schools. I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma, a pituitary tumor earlier last year and was able to get it removed earlier this year. My hormones were all over the place and it had affected basically every aspect of my life. I initially went to UCSB majoring in Biology, but ultimately ended up transferring to a school closer to home, Chapman. I finished UCSB with a GPA of 2.5 which is horrendous but I was able to do decent at Chapman and had a GPA of 3.5. I did retake some of the classes I did not do so well at UCSB at Chapman and ended up getting A's in them. How detrimental would my GPA from UCSB affect my chances of getting in? I have yet to take the GRE and I have about 400 hours of clinical experience.
Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

All your grades from both schools will be used to calculate your GPA. If you retook classes, use both grades to calculate Cumulative GPA. For Pre-requisites, you will calculate 2 different ways depending on whether the school you are applying to will disregard the original grade on the retakes.
Do the math and figure out whether your Cumulative GPA (all grades from both schools) is over 3.00. If it isn't, then you may be eliminated before your application is reviewed. Same with pre-requisites, figure out how the school is going to calculate, and see if you meet the minimum.

How detrimental would my GPA from UCSB affect my chances of getting in? I have yet to take the GRE and I have about 400 hours of clinical experience.
Thank you guys!
As long as you have overall GPA above 3.0, you will get accepted somewhere.
Loma Linda used to look at your last 100-ish units GPA only. Since you are in that area more or less, check out that school. You obviously made a huge progress and made great achievements!