Applying for September with a January Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazykitten

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a dilemma which I would much appreciate any help with.

I applied and was accepted to St George's and managed to defer my application till starting this January. I did that so I could finish my Master's degree (Undergrad cGPA 3.59, MCAT 513, Canadian student at University of Toronto).

This summer I applied very broadly to both US MD and DO schools, applied to Australia and am getting ready to send off applications for Canada (first choice but tough) and Ireland.

St George's is naturally my last choice, and I was hoping that I would know before January whether or not I'll have other options. However so far I only have one II from a DO school in Arizona.

My question is, what should I do about St George's?

Would going in January hurt my chances of getting into other schools for September 2019? I can't exactly ask schools if they mind that already said yes to the Caribbean. Especially if I'm taking interviews in the new year and trying to keep it a secret that I'm already in medical school overseas. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Also, would anyone have any ideas about what SGU may say if I tell them that I'm withdrawing and then reapply for September 2019, like I probably should have done all along?

Thanks for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, what should I do about St George's?

Would going in January hurt my chances of getting into other schools for September 2019? I can't exactly ask schools if they mind that already said yes to the Caribbean. Especially if I'm taking interviews in the new year and trying to keep it a secret that I'm already in medical school overseas. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Also, would anyone have any ideas about what SGU may say if I tell them that I'm withdrawing and then reapply for September 2019, like I probably should have done all along?

Thanks for any replies!
1. You can always get into the caribbean. There is no need to feel pressure in that regard.
2. Someone who has already matriculated is not considered an active candidate at any reputable school.
3.They don't care when you start, though they will pressure you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Start thinking about SGU if you're still hellbent on being a doctor after like 3 failed app cycles. If you just relax chance has it you'll get into a real school.

Reactions: 1 user
1. You can always get into the caribbean. There is no need to feel pressure in that regard.
2. Someone who has already matriculated is not considered an active candidate at any reputable school.
3.They don't care when you start, though they will pressure you.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, the more I looked into it, the worse of an option I realised it was.

Have you heard of cases similar to this? Because I'm not sure how to get information about whether or not they will let me defer again or accept me again, seeing as they might think I'm trying to screw them over.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, the more I looked into it, the worse of an option I realised it was.

Have you heard of cases similar to this? Because I'm not sure how to get information about whether or not they will let me defer again or accept me again, seeing as they might think I'm trying to screw them over.
They will be glad to accept you (as long as you can pay) and you can always get into any of the other Caribbean schools.

Hi I’m looking to apply for the 5-6 year program in Ireland and applied to almost all the schools plus one dental school. My average is around 86-87. What are my chances of getting in and what happens about residency? I could care less about coming to Canada but is there a good chance to get a residency in the US, EU, Australia and places like that?

Hi I’m looking to apply for the 5-6 year program in Ireland and applied to almost all the schools plus one dental school. My average is around 86-87. What are my chances of getting in and what happens about residency? I could care less about coming to Canada but is there a good chance to get a residency in the US, EU, Australia and places like that?
You need your own thread. This one is for OP...
Try here: UK & Ireland