Applying for summer internships without work experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcd

.2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a sophomore, I have a stellar gpa but not extra-curriculars. And no work experience. Do I just leave the work experience section on internship apps blank?

Members don't see this ad.

rcd said:
Hi, I'm a sophomore, I have a stellar gpa but not extra-curriculars. And no work experience. Do I just leave the work experience section on internship apps blank?

What do you do all day if you don't work and you don't have EC to list? I would encourage you to get on those, because it will not look so good when you apply if you have nothing to put in that section.

rcd said:

I suggest you get involved in volunteer activities or paid employment asap. Otherwise, you need to write one killer cover letter explaining yourself and your motivation and interest in the internship position.

Members don't see this ad :)
fullefect1 said:
What do you do all day if you don't work and you don't have EC to list? I would encourage you to get on those, because it will not look so good when you apply if you have nothing to put in that section.

Well, some people do have lives outside of school.. Although we premedders have to balance out a lot more than a normal student has to..

no offense, but i'm sure the "work experience" of a twenty-year-old is probably nothing stellar. The fact that you waitressed, baby-sat, taught swimming, or worked a cash register is probably not going to land you a killer internship. Just apply and say although it's your first job, you're excited about it and are punctual/responsible/reliable.

No worries, apply, write the essays, and rock out at the summer job. Do a good job, get your foot in the door at a hospital/med school, meet some great people, and maybe you'll even come out of it with a publication.
In the meantime, you might consider having jobs/extracurriculars to help you meet people and learn to manage your time.

AcesHigh said:
Well, some people do have lives outside of school...

ZING!