1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying for summer internships without work experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rcd, Dec 20, 2005.

1. rcd

rcd .2K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I'm a sophomore, I have a stellar gpa but not extra-curriculars. And no work experience. Do I just leave the work experience section on internship apps blank?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What do you do all day if you don't work and you don't have EC to list? I would encourage you to get on those, because it will not look so good when you apply if you have nothing to put in that section.

4. Chopianista

Chopianista Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I suggest you get involved in volunteer activities or paid employment asap. Otherwise, you need to write one killer cover letter explaining yourself and your motivation and interest in the internship position.

5. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Well, some people do have lives outside of school.. Although we premedders have to balance out a lot more than a normal student has to..

6. boilerbeast

boilerbeast suPURDUEper
    7+ Year Member

no offense, but i'm sure the "work experience" of a twenty-year-old is probably nothing stellar. The fact that you waitressed, baby-sat, taught swimming, or worked a cash register is probably not going to land you a killer internship. Just apply and say although it's your first job, you're excited about it and are punctual/responsible/reliable.

No worries, apply, write the essays, and rock out at the summer job. Do a good job, get your foot in the door at a hospital/med school, meet some great people, and maybe you'll even come out of it with a publication.
    In the meantime, you might consider having jobs/extracurriculars to help you meet people and learn to manage your time.

7. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    ZING!