Applying for tech job in hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clee18

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to apply for a Pharmacy tech position at my local hospital, and while I was searching through the jobs on the hospital's website, I noticed abbreviations after the tech position such as "IP", "I" "II" "IV" and others. Does anyone know what they mean? Does it have something to do with levels.. like you can't apply for a Pharmacy Tech II unless you're already a Pharmacy Tech I? I appreciate any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I work at hospital right now and for us the only requirements to be a tech are that you must have a license from the state board. But if you want to work in the IV room you must pass the CPHT ?? exam ...

Yeah those are probably the different levels of techs in the hospital. I know that before I got my job at the hospital everyone started at as tech I. I was hired as a Tech II since everyone at that time had to be trained in the IV room. I would definitely get in contact with the supervisor to double check though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have found from personal experience the best way to get into a hospital position as a future pharmacy student is to talk with the director of pharmacy or the supervisor. They are usually very willing to help out future students, whereas if you just turn in an application they don't really know who you are.
Also, you can check and see if your state has a state affliate of ASHP (like ours in Kentucky is KSHP). Sometimes the affliates will host a job exchange type of thing on their websites.

If you have any more questions about getting a job in a hosptial, you can feel free to PM me. I worked in a hospital for 2 years and now I am in the process of applying for a different hospital!

The fastest way to get a job at a hospital pharmacy is to get to know the supervisor or someone who knows the supervisor.

How does one get to know a supervisor?
Connections!

What if I don't have any connections?
Create your own connections through volunteering and internships

Sign up for next hospital volunteer orientation and ask to be placed in pharmacy department. This will get you in the door "literally" and find yourself standing right next to the pharmacy supervisor.

good luck!