Applying for the 2yr AEGD in your 3rd year of dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rlow04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with someone who recently (as in June 18th) finished the 2yr AEGD.

He mentioned that when you apply for the 2yr AEGD, you apply in December, and are accepted to start the program 1.5 years later. Usually people think about this during their fourth year of dental school, so they end up 'snowbirding' for a year between graduation and the start of their program. That means they go to Ft. Bragg or Ft. Hood for a year and do general dentistry as a 63A.

Because I've already finished my BOLC, he mentioned that I could apply this Dec 2013 and potentially get accepted to start July 2015, right after I graduate.

MAJ Mower or any 63B, can you confirm this? After this conversation with my friend, I'm heavily leaning toward doing the 2yr AEGD and applying for it this December. Do I apply through MODS or is the application somewhere else?

I guess I should go search around on MODS and figure it out for myself instead of being lazy, but at least this way there will be a thread for people to look at in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got off the phone with someone who recently (as in June 18th) finished the 2yr AEGD.

He mentioned that when you apply for the 2yr AEGD, you apply in December, and are accepted to start the program 1.5 years later. Usually people think about this during their fourth year of dental school, so they end up 'snowbirding' for a year between graduation and the start of their program. That means they go to Ft. Bragg or Ft. Hood for a year and do general dentistry as a 63A.

Because I've already finished my BOLC, he mentioned that I could apply this Dec 2013 and potentially get accepted to start July 2015, right after I graduate.

MAJ Mower or any 63B, can you confirm this? After this conversation with my friend, I'm heavily leaning toward doing the 2yr AEGD and applying for it this December. Do I apply through MODS or is the application somewhere else?

I guess I should go search around on MODS and figure it out for myself instead of being lazy, but at least this way there will be a thread for people to look at in the future.

That's a great question for kmower. My concerns are how you will be able to apply so early before taking your NBDE Part II and find a faculty that can speak of your clinical abilities.

Also another question: does anyone know how you can sign up to do ADT at these bases with residency programs? If it's possible, I would like to visit some programs over break. Thanks!

That's a great question for kmower. My concerns are how you will be able to apply so early before taking your NBDE Part II and find a faculty that can speak of your clinical abilities.

Also another question: does anyone know how you can sign up to do ADT at these bases with residency programs? If it's possible, I would like to visit some programs over break. Thanks!
Ms. Roxanne Flores helps to coordinate the externships at the bases. You generally have to apply for this in the spring. The information is in the HPSP handbook.

If you have completed BOLC you still apply at the same time as everyone else for the 2 yr AEGD (or other specialty). The only difference is that if there is someone who has declined/post poned attendance from the year prior you can be selected to attend immediately following graduation. There is not a special way to apply for this, you will be contacted if they have a spot around Jan/Feb.

Your recruiter at your school helps you to put together and submit your application no later than November of your senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
After talking with multiple 2yr grads on the phone over the past couple of weeks, almost all have recommended NOT doing the 2yr straight out of dental school.

There's so much thrown at you all at once in the 2yr program, and if you're still slower at simple operative you're going to be playing catch-up when you should be learning advanced procedures. Some even suggested doing the 1yr AEGD first, and the one CPT who did both highly recommended it.

After talking with multiple 2yr grads on the phone over the past couple of weeks, almost all have recommended NOT doing the 2yr straight out of dental school.

There's so much thrown at you all at once in the 2yr program, and if you're still slower at simple operative you're going to be playing catch-up when you should be learning advanced procedures. Some even suggested doing the 1yr AEGD first, and the one CPT who did both highly recommended it.

How did you get in contact with 2yr AEGD grads?

How did you get in contact with 2yr AEGD grads?

My friend who originally got me interested in both dentistry and the Army HPSP is stationed at Ft. Bragg. I texted him and asked if he knew anyone. Plus there's a couple of great 63Bs that post here on SDN that can answer your questions right on the forum...

I'm still glad I did it right out of school...but that's my 2 cents.

I'm still glad I did it right out of school...but that's my 2 cents.

I just spoke with MAJ Parrish and he completely agrees with you. Thanks for the connection, he was great to talk with.

When I apply in Dec of 2014, I plan to be open and available if anyone drops out of the June 2015-2017 group. Otherwise I'll be fine with starting in 2016, it will give me a breather year between school and the residency.

I just spoke with MAJ Parrish and he completely agrees with you. Thanks for the connection, he was great to talk with.

When I apply in Dec of 2014, I plan to be open and available if anyone drops out of the June 2015-2017 group. Otherwise I'll be fine with starting in 2016, it will give me a breather year between school and the residency.

When I applied last year for the 2yr-AEGD program, the HQ told me graduating seniors are considered "ineligible" to start right away. So don't count on it, but hope for the best. I also finished BOLC before dental school and had high hopes to start early. Having said, a number of open spots are always available because people either drop or decide not to finish the program.

When I applied last year for the 2yr-AEGD program, the HQ told me graduating seniors are considered "ineligible" to start right away. So don't count on it, but hope for the best. I also finished BOLC before dental school and had high hopes to start early. Having said, a number of open spots are always available because people either drop or decide not to finish the program.

So wait, what'd you end up doing? Did you go to a 2yr program?