MD & DO Applying for the Sake of Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is applying for the sake of applying a good thing?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pagingdoctordorian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a currently a college junior with a low GPA who hasn't taken the MCAT yet. I am planning on taking the MCAT sometime in July or August and am getting lots of different advice on what to do.

My family is telling me to apply this year. They think that I might be able to get into some local DO schools. The also think that even if I don't get in, that going through the application/ interviewing experience will be beneficial in preparing me for when I apply later.

My advisors, my unofficial mentor, and my MCAT prep teacher suggested that I apply later so that I have more time to bring up my GPA and add some clinical experience to my resume.

My take on it is that I don't see the point in rushing to apply this year for the "experience" when I can apply next year with a better chance. I also have heard that some schools don't accept re-applicants the next year, so re-applicants possibly have to wait up to 3 years to re-apply to a school.

I am fairly convinced that applying later would be better, but my family is putting pressure on me to do it this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer: no. Apply once with your best application.

Also, I'm guessing your Indian/asian?

No. You probably guessed that because of the family pressure thing but that stereotype is not necessarily true.

What is your experience? Are you a current medical student or a current physician? Or do you work for admissions somewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to apply once, well.
You do that by distinguishing yourself in your chosen field of interest (gpa) and having a single strong MCAT.
Combine this with compelling reasons to interview and you will have success.
Never plan to reapply!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Please get your family memberships in SDN so they can see the damage they're doing to your medical career by giving you really bad advice. That, and grow a spine and tell them "I'll apply when I have the best possible app"

I am a currently a college junior with a low GPA who hasn't taken the MCAT yet. I am planning on taking the MCAT sometime in July or August and am getting lots of different advice on what to do.

My family is telling me to apply this year. They think that I might be able to get into some local DO schools. The also think that even if I don't get in, that going through the application/ interviewing experience will be beneficial in preparing me for when I apply later.

My advisors, my unofficial mentor, and my MCAT prep teacher suggested that I apply later so that I have more time to bring up my GPA and add some clinical experience to my resume.

My take on it is that I don't see the point in rushing to apply this year for the "experience" when I can apply next year with a better chance. I also have heard that some schools don't accept re-applicants the next year, so re-applicants possibly have to wait up to 3 years to re-apply to a school.

I am fairly convinced that applying later would be better, but my family is putting pressure on me to do it this year.

Reactions: 1 users