Applying for the second time for the upcoming PTCAS Cycle 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePT27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I am sorry in advance.. this post is long.. BUT

I am creating this thread in hopes that it will not only help others who are in the same position, but bring love, light and encouragement to those who are struggling with this whole DPT program process.

I recently graduated last May(2019) with my Bachelor's of Science in Kinesiology. My senior year I went back and forth with the idea of applying, because I felt like it was rushed, TOO much was going on with my last year during undergrad, I hadn't fully prepared for the GRE and by GRE wasn't everything and a bag of chips. I was literally petrified, because I feared being rejected. So, I applied anyways to two schools and received rejection letters for both. My GRE was horrid and I knew it. From that point on I decided that I'd just try again and better my application. From May to November, I personally struggled with being motivated to do anything PTCAS related. I didn't retake the GRE, but I was retaking a couple courses that I didn't do well in during undergrad and began working as a rehab tech at an outpatient facility. Long story short, a lot went on last year and I made the decision not to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle.

I took the time to self reflect and figure out if PT was what I was truly passionate about and if I could see myself doing that for many years and I can! I will be applying during the 2020-2021 cycle.

My stats:

Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.2
GRE: (Taking in April or May)
pGPA: (changing.. retaking some prereqs currently)
Observation Hours/ Tech/Rehab Aid Hours: 600+ Inpatient, 400+ Outpatient
3 LOR from PTs
Founder of an Organization, Executive Board member of organizations and clubs during undergrad

Any advice or encouragement helps! Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure of requirements any more, but definitely have at least one LOR from a science prof in your case. With a low GPA, schools need proof that you can do the coursework. So if you have a class you've done well in and gotten to know the prof, having them vouch for your work ethic and ability to do well will be important.

Reactions: 1 users
There is nothing wrong with taking a year or two off after undergrad in order to collect yourself and build your application up to meet standards that you know they should be. I graduated May '19 and also didn't apply to make the immediate transition as it would have been a half-ass application missing valuable experience / observation hours I gained during my year gap. It would've been a waste of money and time. Could I have gotten into a program? Maybe somewhere, but not a dream school or where I'd be genuinely happy.

The application process is tedious and often times annoying but it's important you find that motivation to give it your all on each aspect of the application. Each portion of the application that you can make stronger is going to increase the odds of you getting into a program.

In reference to your stats, understand your weak points and where you can play strengths. Your GPA might be a bit low but that can easily be made up with a stellar GRE score, letters of rec and your personal statement / secondary letters for specific universities. Your observation hours look solid too, having experiences within various settings is appealing and gives you more variety when answering interview questions. Your extracurriculars will also be a solid selling point within the interview. If you can sell yourself really well at the interview and have a strong overall application, your GPA shouldn't even be a second thought for the program.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message, it's slow at work and I'm bored.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure of requirements any more, but definitely have at least one LOR from a science prof in your case. With a low GPA, schools need proof that you can do the coursework. So if you have a class you've done well in and gotten to know the prof, having them vouch for your work ethic and ability to do well will be important.

Thank you, I will definitely do that!!!

There is nothing wrong with taking a year or two off after undergrad in order to collect yourself and build your application up to meet standards that you know they should be. I graduated May '19 and also didn't apply to make the immediate transition as it would have been a half-ass application missing valuable experience / observation hours I gained during my year gap. It would've been a waste of money and time. Could I have gotten into a program? Maybe somewhere, but not a dream school or where I'd be genuinely happy.

The application process is tedious and often times annoying but it's important you find that motivation to give it your all on each aspect of the application. Each portion of the application that you can make stronger is going to increase the odds of you getting into a program.

In reference to your stats, understand your weak points and where you can play strengths. Your GPA might be a bit low but that can easily be made up with a stellar GRE score, letters of rec and your personal statement / secondary letters for specific universities. Your observation hours look solid too, having experiences within various settings is appealing and gives you more variety when answering interview questions. Your extracurriculars will also be a solid selling point within the interview. If you can sell yourself really well at the interview and have a strong overall application, your GPA shouldn't even be a second thought for the program.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message, it's slow at work and I'm bored.
Thank you, that's literally what I was thinking.

I really appreciate it. I will message you!

Hi all!

I am creating this thread in hopes that it will not only help others who are in the same position, but bring love, light and encouragement to those who are struggling with this whole DPT program process.

I recently graduated last May(2019) with my Bachelor's of Science in Kinesiology. My senior year I went back and forth with the idea of applying, because I felt like it was rushed, TOO much was going on with my last year during undergrad, I hadn't fully prepared for the GRE and by GRE wasn't everything and a bag of chips. I was literally petrified, because I feared being rejected. So, I applied anyways to two schools and received rejection letters for both. My GRE was horrid and I knew it. From that point on I decided that I'd just try again and better my application. From May to November, I personally struggled with being motivated to do anything PTCAS related. I didn't retake the GRE, but I was retaking a couple courses that I didn't do well in during undergrad and began working as a rehab tech at an outpatient facility. Long story short, a lot went on last year and I made the decision not to apply during the 2019-2020 cycle.

I took the time to self reflect and figure out if PT was what I was truly passionate about and if I could see myself doing that for many years and I can! I will be applying during the 2020-2021 cycle.

My stats:

3 LOR from PTs
Founder of an Organization, Executive Board member of organizations and clubs during undergrad

While I wanted to apply to DPT school, I totally dragged my feet while filling out my apps to my selected schools. Then when I found a school I was truly enthusiastic about, all of a sudden my motivation kicked into high gear and I got everything done very quickly (I'm in my third year now with them!). Nothing wrong with taking some gap time and if you're going through what I did at all, when you feel the click with the school it might revive your mojo :)
And I second what someone else said, try to get a LOR from a professor who can speak to your capability to handle graduate work.
Good luck!

Hi all!

My stats:

3 LOR from PTs

Don't underestimate the importance of a well-written essay that tells a story about you that is unique, and demonstrates qualities that will make you a good future PT student and PT.

It's hard to evaluate your stats since pGPA and GRE are missing which may be deal breakers.

Overall GPA: 3.2 - Check stats of an average student who got accepted last year to schools you are applying to. Some schools are very competitive and their students' average GPA is above 3.5 - do not apply to those schools. Do the same comparison when you get your pGPA and GRE.

Observation Hours/ Tech/Rehab Aid Hours: 600+ Inpatient, 400+ Outpatient. - That is perfect! You do not need anything else. Don/t waste your time to get more observation hours unless school requires 3 settings. If it does require 3 settings, get 20-ish hours somewhere else and be done with it.

3 LOR from PTs. - Make sure the letters are good. If you cannot review them, you may want to contact schools where you applied last year, ask them about their feedback on your application, and ask if your recommendation letters were good enough or should you get them from different people (this is in case you are going to use the same PTs as you did last year).

It's ok to get rejections, improve your application, and re-apply. As long as your stats meet minimal requirements and you are applying to the schools whose average students' stats are close to yours.

Good Luck!

Follow your GUT!!!.
Trust me everything will be will workout. ( sending positive vibes your way)I know its easier said than done. The advice I can give is RESEARCH the schools you're interested in and ALSO visit the campus during open house it goes a long way. Try to hit the school required GRE score, ALSO, some schools do not even require a GRE (look into that).
Overall again, do your RESEARCH, their many programs that I am sure will take you, just have to grind and show them you want it!!

BEST!