Applying for the University of Toronto

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfishaha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for the University of Toronto in 2009 and I just got my PCAT score. Since this is the first year of U of T pharmacy requiring PCAT, they don't know what the cut-offs are for each session. I got a verbal score of 65% :( with a composite of 98% :D , and my writing is 3/3 :(. I really don't know if I should retake due to my low verbal and writing score, so I am just wondering if anyone here is applying for U of T in 2009 as well and is willing to share their PCAT score? I would just want to get a sense as to what the cut-offs might be for verbal and writing.

Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in applying to U of T pharm but is the PCAT a lot harder than the UTPAT? and what did you use to study? in canada there's not a lot of PCAT prep courses this is why I'm not sure how to study for it or even if I should apply this year

if you have any sites, books or prep courses to suggest do tell, thanks in advance :D

Hey airbornemedic, PCAT is totally different from UTPAT.....It tests you a lot of Science and English knowledge whereas UTPAT is just an EQ/IQ test....
I used the Kaplan book for bio and chem and the MCAT Examcrackers for organic chem...I didn't study verbal/RC, and that is probably why I didn't do well on verbal....I didn't really study math either, but I guess it helps to brush up on your knowledge on calculus.....

Hope it helps~~Good luck....

I'm also applying to UofT and I have yet to write my PCAT. I'm writing it January 24th, 2009 (which is the last recognizable day for UofT).

Do you have any advice when studying for the PCAT or any advice as to the actual PCAT experience, itself?

I hear time is a factor for the Quantitative reasoning section. Did this apply to you?

-gzahalan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually in the same situation. I got 69% in Verbal (I have no idea how because I consider myself pretty good at English), and over 80% on everything else. My composite was 88%, not bad, but I don't know how good it is compared to all the other applicants. Did you try calling them?

Regarding the advice for PCAT prep, please refer to my 2nd post in this thread. I didn't put a lot of time studying PCAT, since I got a lot of other things going on at the same time. But I think Kaplan definitely is very helpful for me.
Time is a factor for Quan for sure, since I couldn't manage to finish all the questions....So try to practice it as much as you can.....

I emailed them. They basically told me they haven't decided on the cut-offs and so couldn't give me a definite answer (as I expected :(). I emailed them again about when they might be able to decide....and I haven't got back from them....Maybe you could try contact them again?:D

I'm actually in the same situation. I got 69% in Verbal (I have no idea how because I consider myself pretty good at English), and over 80% on everything else. My composite was 88%, not bad, but I don't know how good it is compared to all the other applicants. Did you try calling them?

BTW, are you gonna retake the PCAT? What did u get for your writing if you don't mind my asking?

I am applying for the University of Toronto in 2009 and I just got my PCAT score. Since this is the first year of U of T pharmacy requiring PCAT, they don't know what the cut-offs are for each session. I got a verbal score of 65% :( with a composite of 98% :D , and my writing is 3/3 :(. I really don't know if I should retake due to my low verbal and writing score, so I am just wondering if anyone here is applying for U of T in 2009 as well and is willing to share their PCAT score? I would just want to get a sense as to what the cut-offs might be for verbal and writing.

Thank you so much!!!

Hi! Can you please tell me which book did u use to study for Bio and Chem? Thanks a lot!!!

Hi! Can you please tell me which book did u use to study for Bio and Chem? Thanks a lot!!!

I would suggest Kaplan book (which I bought), athough I must warn you studying out of your high school biology and chemistry notes is probably just about as effective (if you took high school in ontario that is, I don't know the provincial curriculum out in BC or the praries etc).

Just to warn you, I found Kaplan to be pretty good for Biol study, but kind of lacking in the Chem section. The organic part is... pretty much nonexistant in there so you should review that in something else.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much!!!

With any luck, they will just look at the composite (UBC only considers the composite score). Good luck!

With any luck, they will just look at the composite (UBC only considers the composite score). Good luck!
Hi UBCmicrobi,don't you mind sharing your stats ?I am applying for UBC.I am a non-traditional student,do you see any mature student in your class?:confused:
B.A gpa 3.7(but it's not relevant to pharmacy)
Major Bio gpa 3.2
pharmacy experience(volunteer tech) 3 months
Pcat ,in Jan09

Hi UBCmicrobi,don't you mind sharing your stats ?I am applying for UBC.I am a non-traditional student,do you see any mature student in your class?:confused:
B.A gpa 3.7(but it's not relevant to pharmacy)
Major Bio gpa 3.2
pharmacy experience(volunteer tech) 3 months
Pcat ,in Jan09

There are definitely a handful of mature/non-traditional students in my year, including myself. Sorry, can't help you with stats.

Hey.

I'm also applying to UofT 2009. It was my first time writing the PCAT and this was my score:

Verbal: 89
Biology: 96
Reading: 89
Quant: 75
Chemistry: 93
Composite: 94

Writing: 3/3

And my GPA is 3.50 or so....

And for people applying, I my best advice is to do well in the course when you take it the first time around (like in bio and chem). I pretty much didnt even need to study those. The Kaplan book is good for general chem and bio tho if you need it. That and you have to practice math for speed. I also suggest taking the PCAT after you've taken anatomy and physiology and organic chem. Good uck!

Hey.

I'm also applying to UofT 2009. It was my first time writing the PCAT and this was my score:

Verbal: 89
Reading: 89
Quant: 75
Chemistry: 93

Writing: 3/3

And my GPA is 3.50 or so....

And for people applying, I my best advice is to do well in the course when you take it the first time around (like in bio and chem). I pretty much didnt even need to study those. The Kaplan book is good for general chem and bio tho if you need it. That and you have to practice math for speed. I also suggest taking the PCAT after you've taken anatomy and physiology and organic chem. Good uck!

Your composite score is amazing compared to mine. Did you take any prep course in Canada while you were preparing for the test?
Also, how long did it take you to study for it? Did you take the regular school classes while you were studying for the PCAT?

Hi, I'm applying to U of T for the 2009 cycle as well.

Don't bother retaking the PCAT just yet. Only PCATs written before and including Jan 2009 are included for the 2009 admission cycle so just wait until they release the minimums they're looking for in each section.

I think your scores are probably fine. I've talked to a few people applying to U of T and the 3/3 seems to be the "standard" essay score. I have no clue about the 65% in Verbal.

Your composite score is amazing compared to mine. Did you take any prep course in Canada while you were preparing for the test?
Also, how long did it take you to study for it? Did you take the regular school classes while you were studying for the PCAT?

Hey.

I took he PCAT in January while I was in my second semester of second year uni, so yes I had classes, but I pretty much just skipped lecture everyday to study (I'm doing fine in those courses right now btw). And... I was foolish so I started studying after my Christmas break which gave me 3 weeks. I studied NONSTOP ALL DAY EVERDAY mostly for the math, all by myself. I did not take any prep course. Honestly I think it is a waste of money.

I wrote the PCAT in the second term of my first year, and I go to Western. I applied to UofT for September 2009. Here are my scores:
Verbal: 69
Biology: 85
Reading: 57
Quantitative: 97
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 91
Writing: 3.0/3.0

I am happy with my composite, but should I be worried with the Verbal and Reading scores?

Thanks!

U of T may enforce their minimum requirements quite strictly. At one point, the UTPAT could deny your admission despite having a substantial cGPA. Although, this year, the faculty of pharmacy clearly stated that cGPA will be weighted more heavily than PCAT performance. I'm sure the minimum requirement still applies though.

I wrote the PCAT in the second term of my first year, and I go to Western. I applied to UofT for September 2009. Here are my scores:

I am happy with my composite, but should I be worried with the Verbal and Reading scores?

Thanks!
Don't be worried about it, most schools make exceptions a lot of times. Most concentrate on the Bio, Chem, and Quant sections more. Plus IMO you don't have a reason to be worried with a 91 composite.

Thanks!

yea i'm on the same boat pretty much with:
Verbal: 55
Reading: 63
Quantitative: 98

oh well i guess there's nothing we can really do except wait patiently until June

Hey,

On the University of Toronto Pharmacy website, under the FAQ section, it states: "It is anticipated that the Faculty will establish minimum score requirements for the writing subtests and may also establish minimum requirements for one or more of the multiple-choice test sections". This may mean that the reading and verbal section won't be considered, or their minimum standards may not be too high.

I hope this helps :)

Hi mikebob

where does it say that cGPA will be weighted more heavily than PCAT performance??...please let me know...thanks

Yesterday 05:45 PM mikebob U of T may enforce their minimum requirements quite strictly. At one point, the UTPAT could deny your admission despite having a substantial cGPA. Although, this year, the faculty of pharmacy clearly stated that cGPA will be weighted more heavily than PCAT performance. I'm sure the minimum requirement still applies though.