Applying for vet school & masters at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in undergrad right now with a 2.9 GPA, I'm taking a gap year to retake classes and take more upper level sciences. But I was curious if I could apply for vet school & a masters at the same time. I'd like to get a masters as a backup plan but I also don't want to spend too much time on it. My hope was if I don't get into vet school on my first try, at least I may have a masters to do during the year of re-applying as I plan to do a 1-year masters. Does this make me look like I don't know what I want or can this be a good idea? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm in undergrad right now with a 2.9 GPA, I'm taking a gap year to retake classes and take more upper level sciences. But I was curious if I could apply for vet school & a masters at the same time. I'd like to get a masters as a backup plan but I also don't want to spend too much time on it. My hope was if I don't get into vet school on my first try, at least I may have a masters to do during the year of re-applying as I plan to do a 1-year masters. Does this make me look like I don't know what I want or can this be a good idea? Thank you!
I say go for it! When it looked like I wasn’t getting into vet school I started applying to MPH programs. I don’t think it will make you look bad, especially since the admissions for each school won’t know that you are also applying to other graduate programs.

I say go for it! When it looked like I wasn’t getting into vet school I started applying to MPH programs. I don’t think it will make you look bad, especially since the admissions for each school won’t know that you are also applying to other graduate programs.
I think the thing I was mainly worried about is most of the vet schools I want to apply to also have the 1 year masters I'd like to do as well. So I would be worried about them seeing both applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the thing I was mainly worried about is most of the vet schools I want to apply to also have the 1 year masters I'd like to do as well. So I would be worried about them seeing both applications.
Ah, I see. I’m not entirely sure about that then, but I wouldn’t think they would hold it against you!

What’s your science and last 45 GPAs? And your experience hours? You may not need a masters...

What’s your science and last 45 GPAs? And your experience hours? You may not need a masters...
Well my plan is to have a last 45 of 3.8-4.0 with my gap year of classes while raising my sciGPA which is about 3.0 roughly.