Applying from a foreign medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobe1999

Reaction score
I am currently a 3rd-year medical student in Asia. I was wondering can sb in my situation get into medical school in the US or Canada?
If it is possible what are the requirements?
During my high school years, my GPA was 4 in one of the top schools and I have a 3.8 GPA in med school which is also the best med school in my country. I also have research experience with one publication.

Members don't see this ad.

As an international student you will need to take most (if not all, depending on the school) required courses for matriculation at an English speaking country university. Also, you will need at least three letters of recommendation written in English, to take the MCAT , have volunteer experiences (both in and out of the clinic) , and write killer essays.

It is an uphill battle to get an acceptance , and more so as an international student. Why do you wish to transfer (very few schools even accept transfers, much less from an international one) to or study in the US if you are already (as you said) at the top school of your country?

Reactions: 2 users
agree with the post above.

for you a better option might be to excel in your school, get your MD degree, and come here for residency.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this even a thing? I thought US med schools don't accept applications from students who have previously attended medical school, and that the only path for foreign med students was through residency.

They certainly wont accept any transfer students from a foreign medical student, which I think is what the OP was implying. But there is nothing stopping a student from applying through the normal path. This would mean having the required prereqs and number of US UG college credits. Essentially it would be starting over.
Right, and I thought this policy from UF was typical:
Applicants who have previously matriculated to a medical program are ineligible to apply to UF College of Medicine unless they meet the requirements to apply through the Transfer/Advanced Standing Admissions Policy.

This policy doesn't allow you to start over. Wouldn't tons of FMGs who cannot get a residency here happily start over if given a chance??

Right, and I thought this policy from UF was typical:
Applicants who have previously matriculated to a medical program are ineligible to apply to UF College of Medicine unless they meet the requirements to apply through the Transfer/Advanced Standing Admissions Policy.

This policy doesn't allow you to start over. Wouldn't tons of FMGs who cannot get a residency here happily start over if given a chance??
Typically they don't get residency due to poor USMLE scores and I doubt many wants to go thru the whole thing again.

Typically they don't get residency due to poor USMLE scores and I doubt many wants to go thru the whole thing again.
Of course, no one would want to go through it again. But, if it were an option, and maybe the only option to practice in the US, I'm sure many of them would do it. Kind of a pointless discussion, though, because I'm pretty sure it's not an option.