Applying from Canadian schools (undergrad) to U.S. medical schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompi90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about transferring to some schools in Canada (either McGill or U Toronto) because I am very unhappy at my current institution with the level of academics offered, ec's available, caliber of some students, and because I keep having issues with some people here that prevent me from focusing on my work.
I would be applying to get admission for my junior year, to clarify.

When I was looking at uni's that had good bio programs, and research oppertunities, these caught my eye. However since they are obviously in Canada, this brings up a few questions.

1. should i transfer and are my reasons valid for doing so?
2. if i apply from a Canadian school, will that hurt my chances of getting into a U.S. medical school?

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think if you go to a canadian school but are a US resident, there will be any hinderence. Go where you think you will succeed.

Be forewarned though. Canadian schools are notorious for destroying GPAs. They don't believe in giving As (or Bs)

I am thinking about transferring to some schools in Canada (either McGill or U Toronto) because I am very unhappy at my current institution with the level of academics offered, ec's available, caliber of some students, and because I keep having issues with some people here that prevent me from focusing on my work.
I would be applying to get admission for my junior year, to clarify.

When I was looking at uni's that had good bio programs, and research oppertunities, these caught my eye. However since they are obviously in Canada, this brings up a few questions.

1. should i transfer and are my reasons valid for doing so?
2. if i apply from a Canadian school, will that hurt my chances of getting into a U.S. medical school?

thanks in advance.

Don't go to Toronto unless you want to get lost in the mix of 50,000 undergrad students ... and grading at any Canadian school is COMPLETELY different than American schools. Buyer beware.

I currently go to McMaster and while the grading may seem unfair AMCAS tends to favour some schools (i.e for me an 'A' = 85-89=3.9 but in AMCAS, an 'A' = 4.0). It would be wise to check out www.premed101.com/forums and view the US thread. I'm also a US citizen in Canada but I'm applying to the US for medical school. However, from what I've been told, you will likely find less opportunity for faculty interaction and some experiences at a school in Canada vs. US. PM if you have questions about schools in Canada (specifically Ontario), and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers