Applying IM: LOR from A or B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kape1one

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to IM and worked wirh an amazing attending, but only for one week because they change every week.

On the other hand, my FM clerkship preceptor for 5 weeks told me she would be more than happy to write me a letter.

Or should I ask for both LORs? Does a FM letter look “bad” at all if applying to IM?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask both and then when ERAS opens, assign whichever one you think is the strongest

I'm in IM. I had a great FM letter which was brought up a lot. The content of the letter matters more than the writer

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying to IM and worked wirh an amazing attending, but only for one week because they change every week.

On the other hand, my FM clerkship preceptor for 5 weeks told me she would be more than happy to write me a letter.

Or should I ask for both LORs? Does a FM letter look “bad” at all if applying to IM?

Thanks!!

Taking patient histories, being professional, non-judgemental, thinking 2-3 steps ahead etc is needed in every field so a stronger letter from someone who has worked with you for 5 weeks will likely carry more weight, unless the IM doc is willing to let you write your own letter or seriously stretch the truth