Applying in 8 months..what to do until then?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayloreve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy SDN!

So right now I am a junior and I will be applying to dental school in June 2013. I know it may seem like a ways away, but I know that day will be here quicker than it seems. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but I just wanted to see what all I can do in that time to prepare.

I have a 4.0 GPA but I have yet to take the DAT :( I studied for it all summer but I panzied out and didn't take it haha. I'm going to try and take it sometime before April definitely. I have over 100 shadowing hours, going to try and get a few more. I'm a lot more involved on campus this year, and trying to get more volunteer hours (because I basically did nothing freshman year).

Besides shadowing & volunteering, is there anything else I should be doing? I'm soooo nervous about the end of this school year, and definitely want to do everything in power to make my application as strong as possible.

Any advice would be appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Work on your personal statement and have it done and ready to go before the cycle opens up. My personal statement was written long before I did my application but it needed a ton of revisions before I was truly happy. Just get lot's of opinions on it before you finalize it.

Stay far away from sdn and you should have a healthy senior year :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy SDN!

So right now I am a junior and I will be applying to dental school in June 2013. I know it may seem like a ways away, but I know that day will be here quicker than it seems. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but I just wanted to see what all I can do in that time to prepare.

I have a 4.0 GPA but I have yet to take the DAT :( I studied for it all summer but I panzied out and didn't take it haha. I'm going to try and take it sometime before April definitely. I have over 100 shadowing hours, going to try and get a few more. I'm a lot more involved on campus this year, and trying to get more volunteer hours (because I basically did nothing freshman year).

Besides shadowing & volunteering, is there anything else I should be doing? I'm soooo nervous about the end of this school year, and definitely want to do everything in power to make my application as strong as possible.

All you should worry NOW is taking the DAT!!! Thats where you should be investing all your free time during the next 8 months

If I were you, I'd start collecting letters for your pre-health committee composite letter. Shadow dentists, take DAT around Jan or Feb, so that you can retake if you're unhappy w your score in April or May. You can't take it back to back. Can't schedule a retake until 90 days after the first time or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I were you, I'd start collecting letters for your pre-health committee composite letter. Shadow dentists, take DAT around Jan or Feb, so that you can retake if you're unhappy w your score in April or May. You can't take it back to back. Can't schedule a retake until 90 days after the first time or something. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct. Gathering LORs would be a flood use of your time, they take longer than you might imagine to get. For my school there is a pre-health interview process as well, look into that and see if you can get the composite letter.

I would worry about the DAT.

Take one step at a time, worry about the DAT, then PS and LORs. I think studying, preparing, and taking the DAT should be your first priority. Get it over with and leave enough time in case you have to take it again. It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem, but it is nice to have a little buffer.

I would start collecting LORs for sure, they can be such a hassle and getting the early would be great. Your school probably has a service to essentially store them for you until your committee letter.

I would also shoot to take the DAT at the end of Winter break, the last day before spring semester starts. I did this, and while it kind of wrecked my break (still had a good time, but did end up studying a lot), it made spring semester and the June application stress free. It was totally worth it in my opinion.

That's silly.

Just repeating what others have said:

DAT affects the whole process at this point. Take it in the spring if you can manage. Lining up letters and your statement is a good task as well. Letters are out of your control and will drive you crazy if they delay your app. I hate seeing statements delay submitting as well. No excuse why those can't be 100% done early. Once DAT is done, research schools well. You don't seem the type to go off GPA/DAT alone though.

Are you LA resident?

That's silly.

Smurf has taken a really long time to put together a thread containing all of the most thorough breakdowns he could find on SDN, ranging from extremely high to average scores. He is suggesting the OP look at these breakdowns, construct a plan for studying, and begin the daunting task of tackling the DAT. I would have LOVED to have gotten my hands on such a list before I started studying; every breakdown has something to offer. What is silly about that? I think what Smurf did was very selfless and certainly not for his benefit; he has already taken the DAT and is in the interview process now.

I don't like sparking arguments, but I have the utmost respect for those who are willing to essentially help their competition in the DAT forum. We all work together over there, and I'd love for any of those kind people to be my dentist! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You still havent taken the DAT!!! better get on it little missy.

Smurf has taken a really long time to put together a thread containing all of the most thorough breakdowns he could find on SDN, ranging from extremely high to average scores. He is suggesting the OP look at these breakdowns, construct a plan for studying, and begin the daunting task of tackling the DAT. I would have LOVED to have gotten my hands on such a list before I started studying; every breakdown has something to offer. What is silly about that? I think what Smurf did was very selfless and certainly not for his benefit; he has already taken the DAT and is in the interview process now.

I don't like sparking arguments, but I have the utmost respect for those who are willing to essentially help their competition in the DAT forum. We all work together over there, and I'd love for any of those kind people to be my dentist! :)

Hey tough guy, back down a little! That's 'silly' as in 'funny' in reference to the format of his 'menu'. Why would you even think someone would think that was useless and stupid? It's obvious what it is. You didn't need to break it down for me. If I though it was stupid, I'd call it useless and stupid. Not even the lowliest and most negative of users would think that. It's not even logical. Of course it's a good thing. And if I were such a terrible person and non-contributor (and apparently dentist), why would I continue by responding to the OP? Don't use that tone with me ever again.

Jeffity,

I'm not trying to be a tough guy; I'm just standing up for someone I respect. Silly, as I know it, means "ridiculously foolish" or insinuates having a lack of common sense. Funny and silly are not synonymous. (And yes, I did just check a thesaurus to make sure I'm not crazy. :))

Your post count shows that you are obviously a contributing member, and I merely commented that I really appreciate all of the people who participate in the DAT forum because they have all been incredibly nice to me. By complimenting others, I wasn't attacking anyone else. Maybe your comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful, but I felt like Smurf was being belittled. I respect his contributions far too much not to stand up for him... I'm just that sort of a person. I completely agree that it would make no sense for someone to call his "menu" absurd, but in my world, calling something "silly" so bluntly and without further explanation carries some very negative connotations.

As you meant no disrespect, I also meant no disrespect--I did, however, sense that there must have been a clear disconnect between what Smurf posted and how you interpreted it. One of the greatest problems for any online communications is that written text can so easily be misconstrued.

To your final tone comment--are you a moderator? I've yet to see anyone say something quite so condescending, which is saying a lot. I just keep finding more and more instances of individuals being unnecessarily cheeky, and I don't know what there is to gain from such actions. I am also an adult and unless you are truly my superior, I find that to be quite an odd thing to say in the context of asking me to "back down." I think it is pretty clearly meant to incite future argument, and once again, what is to be gained from that? I find new reasons on a daily basis to leave these forums, which is a shame because I feel like I have something to contribute and have helped numerous people with their DAT prep. I've been disrespected many times, and I've seen others disrespected time and time again. My natural tendency, especially when it comes to others being wrongly disrespected, is to swoop in and and help; this caring, however, gets me in situations like this. I do think this will be my last post. My DAT days are over and sadly, I've been convinced that I wouldn't like to be a part of a community where such negativity abounds. (Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone! Some of you are exceptionally awesome and I have greatly enjoyed working with you.)

Oh! And, most importantly, to the OP:
Your plan sounds almost exactly like mine, except I did end up taking the DAT this summer. I did not feel ready for it AT ALL when I went in to take it, but it worked out well. The honest truth is that I would have NEVER felt ready for it, and I sense you may be a lot like me! I'd agree with the above posters that it would be a good idea to take it over winter break. You don't want to lose all of the stuff you've learned so far! Keep shadowing, and maybe the dentist you shadow will also let you volunteer a little bit, too. :) I'm also having to make up for my previous lack of my involvement right now, and I'm kicking myself for it! Oh well, it's best to learn from our mistakes! Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
1. Restudy and take the DAT.
2. Get LoRs
3. Shadow different specialties
4. Volunteer when possible
5. Write personal statement
6. Figure out which schools you want to apply to, and how many
7. Get ready to spend a ton of money

Jeffity,

I'm not trying to be a tough guy; I'm just standing up for someone I respect. Silly, as I know it, means "ridiculously foolish" or insinuates having a lack of common sense. Funny and silly are not synonymous. (And yes, I did just check a thesaurus to make sure I'm not crazy. :))

Your post count shows that you are obviously a contributing member, and I merely commented that I really appreciate all of the people who participate in the DAT forum because they have all been incredibly nice to me. By complimenting others, I wasn't attacking anyone else. Maybe your comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful--and I realize you have greater pull in these forums than I do--but I felt like Smurf was being belittled. I respect his contributions far too much not to stand up for him... I'm just that sort of a person. I completely agree that it would make no sense for someone to call his "menu" absurd, but in my world, calling something "silly" so bluntly and without further explanation carries some very negative connotations.

As you meant no disrespect, I also meant no disrespect--I did, however, sense that there must have been a clear disconnect between what Smurf posted and how you interpreted it. One of the greatest problems for any online communications is that written text can so easily be misconstrued.

Oh! And, most importantly, to the OP:
Your plan sounds almost exactly like mine, except I did end up taking the DAT this summer. I did not feel ready for it AT ALL when I went in to take it, but it worked out well. The honest truth is that I would have NEVER felt ready for it, and I sense you may be a lot like me! I'd agree with the above posters that it would be a good idea to take it over winter break. You don't want to lose all of the stuff you've learned so far! Keep shadowing, and maybe the dentist you shadow will also let you volunteer a little bit, too. :) I'm also having to make up for my previous lack of my involvement right now, and I'm kicking myself for it! Oh well, it's best to learn from our mistakes! Best of luck to you! And, since we seem to have quite similar stats/plans, let me know if you need any help at all with DAT stuff! :D

I think this is "silly" too, unless we are clicking on the wrong link
La DATélisse
This is a joke or what? Let's be realistic here, the OP is asking for advice on what to do next and is ridiculous that a person like you with such Amazing scores is arguing for a nonsense menu....lol..By arguing like this we are showing how immature WE in the pre-dental forum can be..Just show YOUR breakdown of study for DAT to the OP, that will help more, don't you think?

Hey tough guy, back down a little! That's 'silly' as in 'funny' in reference to the format of his 'menu'. Why would you even think someone would think that was useless and stupid? It's obvious what it is. You didn't need to break it down for me. If I though it was stupid, I'd call it useless and stupid. Not even the lowliest and most negative of users would think that. It's not even logical. Of course it's a good thing. And if I were such a terrible person and non-contributor (and apparently dentist), why would I continue by responding to the OP? Don't use that tone with me ever again.

:laugh:...its like I am talking to my son.

Many people have already said it, but start an Interfolio account and collect your LORS. They do, indeed, take a while to obtain. Many professors just have too much on their plates in addition to writing their students LORS.

Working on your personal statement is also a great idea. I started mine a few months back and have been doing revisions ever since.

Finally, and obviously, study for the DAT. If you're in school full time, devote as much of your winter and thanksgiving breaks to DAT study. I would imagine it's difficult to maintain both a full academic load AND study for the DAT at the same time.

Howdy SDN!

tayloreve,

The DAT is a VERY IMPORTANT component to any dental school application process.

La DATélisse was created especially for you and other prospective DAT takers. After taking the DAT and rereading many breakdowns, did I feel obligated to create such a thread. Some of the breakdowns listed on the menu were the very same ones I used to plan my 'attack.' Only certain breakdown(the ones I would look at if I were to hypothetically retake the test) are selected to be on the menu. I honestly wished there were detailed breakdowns for the AA <19, except those are almost impossible to find, and that's why you don't see any on the menu, hopefully, just yet.

To be honest, I personally felt the DAT was not hard at all.
-If you make a realistic study plan and stick to it, it could be done in no time.

-Make sure to simulate the entire testing experience prior to taking the actual test. I could have done far better on the RC and QR had I done this. I remembered by the time I reached RC I was completely exhausted. The 15 minute break is just not enough.

-Also when preparing for the DAT, just focus on yourself and not about what others make.

-On the day of your test, walk into the it with a big smile:) and most likely you'll leave with a giant smile:D. Trust me, this was exactly what I did and it works not only on the test but at interviews and anywhere else in life.

Good Luck.