Applying in July or August...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kalyx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a very solid application for medical school with all the pieces in place except for my MCAT. I'm slated to take it June 18th. That date is fast approaching and I'm starting to feel like I may need more time to study (I'm currently taking classes at school).

If I were to push back my test date, I would surely get a better score, but I would not be able to submit my application until August 15th or so. I could still turn in my application and make sure everything else has arrived (letters of rec, transcripts, etc.), so that all I would have to do is send out my MCAT scores on August 15th.

I know it is less advantageous to apply in August than July. But if I were to apply in July (and take the MCAT in June), my MCAT score would probably not be as robust. It could be the difference between getting a 31 or 35.

Do you think it is wise to submit my application in August in favor of a higher MCAT score?

Thanks for your input!

~Kalyx

Members don't see this ad.

It's a tough decision to make. If you score a 35, you probably won't be significantly disadvantaged by applying later, but if you are more mediocre, a lot of the interview spots may already be assigned and your stats won't bring you to adcomm attention until they get to the bottom of the pile of applicants. You can better judge your preparedness if you take some practice tests and see what range you're in to start.