Applying in June or waiting until August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nphistheman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for allopathic schools too.

Ok so my situation is kinda complicated. I applied last year, got verified, then did a ******* mistake that got me arrested. I was charged with a misdemeanor on drug possession (2 ecstasy pills at a music festival). I decided to drop out of last cycle so I could get this stuff handled.

So currently there is no conviction. I was put in this program where if I complete all of the requirements the case will be dismissed after 18 months. If I drop out I am convicted. I thought it could be dismissed early but the last progress hearing was too early, and the judge said the earliest it could be dismissed is August 18, 2011. She seemed like 90% sure it would be dismissed.

Would it be better to wait till August to apply with this case completely dismissed and lose the advantage of applying early in June. Or apply early in June to get the early advantage and take a hit for having this case still open. If it's not dismissed in August it would definitely be dismssed in February 2012, which would be before medical school starts. In either case I would still probably disclose what happened because it will probably come up in a background check and I have to explain why I dropped out last cycle. I just think it would look a lot better to have the case dismissed before I applied.. but then again it will be dismissed during the application cycle anyway so why not apply in June to get the advantage?

My stats are 29 MCAT 8V 10PS 11Bio and 3.52 overall 3.48 sci from a top 25 school. Pretty good ECs and letters. So I think I'm a fairly competive applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are an okay applicant. Average at DO school is 3.48/27 right now. Average at MD is about a 3.6/32.

I would strongly suggest against applying this cycle. Either you apply with a record or you apply late. Both ways it is a no win for an "ok" applicant.

Is August really that late for osteopathic? And I mean it seems like my numbers are above average for osteopathic. Is it really a no-win for osteopathic if I apply to a lot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is August really that late for osteopathic? And I mean it seems like my numbers are above average for osteopathic. Is it really a no-win for osteopathic if I apply to a lot?

I applied in August... MCAT didn't come in until September. I was plenty successful with the same stats as you. August is FINE

I applied in August... MCAT didn't come in until September. I was plenty successful with the same stats as you. August is FINE

Would you mind specifying what "plenty successful" meant? Other than getting accepted, congrats on that! But like how many interviews, acceptances, top choice schools. Just curious. Thanks!

Would you mind specifying what "plenty successful" meant? Other than getting accepted, congrats on that! But like how many interviews, acceptances, top choice schools. Just curious. Thanks!

I got interviews at 5 out of the 8 do schools I applied to. Attended 2. Was accepted to both. Got into my top choice at osu being out of state. Don't get me wrong, applying early is very beneficial. But people make it seem like you have no shot if you aren't in the first day of June, which just isn't true.