Applying in september, is that too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisboy85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what you think of my situation.

Here's the run down

Overall GPA: roughly 3.83
Sci GPA: 3.7 (but I have B- in one physics and one of bio)
MCAT 2006: 7VR 10PS 10BS WS-R =27R

I'm planning to rewrite my MCAT on Aug 16th, and I'm aiming (hopefully) to get around a 35. Now, my thoughts are - I'll wait until Mid-September when the scores are released, and if I do get 34 or higher, I'll send in my primary application. Would this be too late? Any advices?

Right now I'm thinking of applying to some of the private schools in the east coast (NYU, Columbia, etc.) although I am open to other suggestions.

Thank you everyone. Much appreciate it! :D:D

Members don't see this ad.

You will be supremely disadvantaged. How are your EC's?

Especially at competitive schools like NYU and Columbia...

Members don't see this ad :)
You're pushing it quite a bit. If it were me, I'd submit AMCAS now (assuming you've got everything complete) and indicate on secondaries that you're expecting new MCAT scores. You're getting a little late now, so waiting another month really is not a good plan. You have to consider it's going to take at least another month to get the AMCAS verified.

Your GPA's are solid, so if you do well on the MCAT like you expect and have good EC's and LOR's you should be OK.

Don't waste your money, just apply next cycle. Also, assuming you're going to get a 35 isn't a very good bet, that's 90-95% percentile depending on the administration.

You can't necessarily bank on a 34+ MCAT. Furthermore, there is no reason that you can't get in with an MCAT less than 34. I did. I have no idea what the rest of your application looks like, but I can tell you that, in my own experience, waiting too long to submit an application can be a major blow. If I were you, I'd submit my AMCAS ASAP, indicate on the application that you are re-taking the MCAT, and start cranking out the secondaries as soon as they come.

That's only my opinion, but I think it's silly to put off applying based on numbers that don't exist yet, especially when there's no guarantee that you'll do better the second time around.

One more thing - NYU and Columbia are great "reach" schools, but I'd also apply to some mid- or lower-tier schools as well. Especially if you are planning to apply later. It's good to set high standards for yourself, but a healthy dose of reality never hurt anyone, either. Turn in the AMCAS now, retake the MCAT, apply to a broad range of schools, and be ecstatic if you get your 34+, but don't be disappointed if you don't.

Presuming that you'll rewrite and earn a 35 is a pretty bold statement - have you reached 34-35 on practice tests before? Anyway, if you break 30, you will be much better off than you are now, though a 27 is not the end of the world.

I agree with what other have said; its getting late in the cycle and it might be in your best interest to submit now, because it will take a while to get your amcas verified, and you can always state on the amcas (I think there's a box you can check off?) that you are retaking the MCAT.. I suppose you could mention it somewhere on most secondaries as well.

Assuming that your ECs back you up, if you break 30 on the MCAT you will be in good shape if you submit sooner rather than later.

good luck

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies!:D

To answer some of the questions:
EC wise, I was involved in a number of clubs in school. This summer, I'm doing research in dept. of surgery. I have about 100 hrs of hospital volunteering.

In response to the practice marks - I've been doing a number of AAMC tests in preparation for my upcoming exam, averaging around a 34, although my last one (that I wrote yesterday), I got a 37. So at this point, I'm hopeful *crossing my fingers*. But as you guys have mentioned, I can't be certain to get the 34+ until my scores come out.

My concern is, if I were to submit my App. now, could the schools reject me on the basis of my previous poor mcat score? Also, would it just be a waste of money if I apply to high end schools if my score turns out badly?

Also, I have been wondering about this, does AMCAS allow you to add school later after you've submitted the application?

Thank you very much for your replies! I will take your advices and try to send in the applications as soon as I'm done with my mcat. I will also try to diversify them as well :)

Definitely on the slow side but you can make up lost time by starting work on the secondaries now so that once you're verified and the secondaries come in you can turn them in right away