applying June 1st vs. June 21st?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hono

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I have a couple of questions about MCAT/applying this cycle and would really appreciate some advice, as I have heard lots of conflicting opinions about this...

1. I'm deciding which MCAT date to do - May 1 or May 21. I'm trying to raise my practice scores by a few points, so I moved the MCAT date from the 1st to the 21st. But does it significantly help to submit your application on June 1 vs. 3 weeks later? As in, would it be equivalent to a couple points extra on the MCAT?

2. If you submit your application on June 1 but your MCAT score isnt sent in until June 21, does it still give you an advantage of applying early?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd apply June 1st without the MCAT score... what you can do is submit your application to only one school June 1st (if you're concerned that your MCAT possibly won't be up to par) and then add the rest of the schools once you get your MCAT; you won't have to be re-verified for the schools you add.

The main thing about applying is you want to get verified as early as possible because that's what takes the longest.

With this said, applying June 21st would still be pretty early and I don't think it would put you at a significant disadvantage. However, if you have everything ready to go on June 1st, apply then because you won't be getting secondaries until the end of June or early July anyway... it won't put you at a disadvantage to not have your MCAT when applying June 1st and you'll get verified much faster.

I agree with above. Sometimes it can take two weeks to verify your application (mostly transcript verification), so submit by June 1 and make sure your transcripts are sent.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply June 1st without the MCAT score... what you can do is submit your application to only one school June 1st (if you're concerned that your MCAT possibly won't be up to par) and then add the rest of the schools once you get your MCAT; you won't have to be re-verified for the schools you add.
I also recommend this strategy. It may take only a few days to verify the first week of June. By the end of June it takes 2-3 weeks.

yep these posts are right on. You will at least have an idea how you did anyway.

I took the MCAT in June and didn't submit the AMCAS application until after I got my MCAT scores in July, and it did not hurt me at all in this cycle. It may have actually helped, because my GPA was a little lower than average but my MCAT score kicked butt. I think it's more important to get your secondaries in as early as possible, which you should still be able to do even if you submit the AMCAS in late June. I don't know if this is universally true, but a member of an admissions committee told me that in June/July, they are still trying to fill the class that is about to start med school and they don't really start looking at the new applicants until late July or early August.

I think June is still early. There's probably a more noticeable diff between applying June, vs July or especially Aug.

First time I applied, I did that. I waited to submit until after I got my MCAT score (I took a May 15th MCAT, I think). Then, it only took 2 days for me to be verified. The same application two years later would've taken a couple weeks to be verified. But, if you have a quick turn-around with your secondaries, it shouldn't make a difference one way or the other.