Applying late with 512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magyarzorag

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I recently got a 512 on a FL practice test. I will take the test in late August or early September, and won't know my score until Late September or Early October. I've already got my Personal statements and rec letters and can do secondary essays pretty quickly. A 512 is around the average for schools I would like to attend, and my GPA is BCPM: 3.7978 (Probably can round to 3.80), Core: 3.76, also around the normal for schools I already attend. ECs are all good with extensive research, clinical, and shadowing experience.
***I cannot apply without an MCAT score because not only will I be potentially shelling out a lot of money without knowing my score, but I have a acceptance at another MD school at OutofState Lower Middle Tier MD University (from one of their early admission programs that didn't require MCAT) that I will lose if I apply to MD schools. However, I can always apply to DO schools and not lose that MD admittance.

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got a 512 on a FL practice test. I will take the test in late August or early September, and won't know my score until Late September or Early October. I've already got my Personal statements and rec letters and can do secondary essays pretty quickly. A 512 is around the average for schools I would like to attend, and my GPA is BCPM: 3.7978 (Probably can round to 3.80), Core: 3.76, also around the normal for schools I already attend. ECs are all good with extensive research, clinical, and shadowing experience.
***I cannot apply without an MCAT score because not only will I be potentially shelling out a lot of money without knowing my score, but I have a acceptance at another MD school at OutofState Lower Middle Tier MD University (from one of their early admission programs that didn't require MCAT) that I will lose if I apply to MD schools. However, I can always apply to DO schools and not lose that MD admittance.

If you're not sure, the answer is no (yes it will be late)
How many practice tests have you taken? If you just took this one and its 512, that won't be enough or even if it is, you wont feel confident going into the exam. Applying to med school isn't something you want to repeat (ideally) and so you want to get it right the first time.
Unless you are OK with the possibility that your actual MCAT might be a few points below that, AND your application would be on the late side, then push forth, but like so many other threads on here, late Sept, early October is really putting yourself at a disadvatange, EVEN IF You had a GREAT application/good MCAT etc...

Reactions: 1 user
So you’ve already applied once and gotten an acceptance to a program? Why don’t you want to go there?

Members don't see this ad :)
@renman97

Stupid reason, but a combination of Out of State Tuition and Ugly Weather

Reactions: 1 user
@renman97

Stupid reason, but a combination of Out of State Tuition and Ugly Weather

I would take the acceptance if I were in your shoes...if you were hitting like 520s on your MCAT practice exams then I think maybe it is worth the risk to try and get in to a different school...just my two-cents

Just take your acceptance. You have what most of us want. You shouldn’t have applied to an EDP if you didn’t want to go there. Literally, drop your MCAT stuff and coast until matriculation. Congrats on the acceptance and leave it at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Are you actually accepted? If so, when applying you fall into the dreaded “I have turned down a previous acceptance” category (do search). Not sure about conditional programs, but be sure you can ethically answer the question “no”.

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but I would guess >30% of applicants with your stats do not get an MD acceptance on first application. Bird in the hand.

Depending on when you would matriculate, delaying a year for financial reasons can be counterproductive. If you finish a year earlier, that is one more year of 200k salary to offset increased COA

Reactions: 3 users