Applying late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberrycake

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying late

I just want to vent and ask for advice.

I’m really terrified as I’m seeing many schools are already sending interview invites. COVID made this cycle really unpredictable to me. I’m taking the MCAT on September 4th which I feel is really late even with given circumstances and COVID. I feel I should give up on applying this cycle as I won’t be completed until early to mid October as English is not my first language so writing is not my favorite thing in terms of secondaries.
My sgpa is good for DOs and fall on 10% for almost all the MDs also I’m disadvantaged and CA resident.
From your experience do you think I hold a chance or I’m screwed please be honest

Members don't see this ad.

Have you already submitted a primary? How are your MCAT FLs looking? Consistently in your ideal score range?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already submitted a primary? How are your MCAT FLs looking? Consistently in your ideal score range?
Almost done with primaries. I have done Qpack and SB for 6 time by now I memorized the questions

Timeline wise - being done by early, mid October seems fine to me if ur gpa and mcat are competitive

Applying late

I’m really terrified as I’m seeing many schools are already sending interview invites. COVID made this cycle really unpredictable to me. I’m taking the MCAT on September 4th which I feel is really late even with given circumstances and COVID. I feel I should give up on applying this cycle as I won’t be completed until early to mid October as English is not my first language so writing is not my favorite thing in terms of secondaries.
My sgpa is good for DOs and fall on 10% for almost all the MDs also I’m disadvantaged and CA resident.
From your experience do you think I hold a chance or I’m screwed please be honest

@Goro @Faha, could you please share your thoughts on this post, please? (You both, have been tremendously helpful to me on this platform). My sister is in the same situation and we are trying to decide if she should apply this cycle or wait until next year. Her application was verified on August 14th and the MCAT date is September 4th. Thank you.

Applying late

I understand that you're feeling vunerable right now, we all are.

But step back and take a deep breath.

Patience is a virtue. It's only August. The people getting IIs right now are superstars.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
What are your sGPA and cGPA ? What are your ECs ? Where is your state of residence ?
my sGPA is 3.42 with 4.0 in postbacc science classes anatomy, physiology, genetics, molecular bio, and etc. my overall 3.6. EC i have 4000 hours research, 1392 hours clinical volunteer, 1000 non clinical volunteer. I graduated from a UC in 2017
I have interesting story and PS as I escaped war and death threats ( my family worked with the US army and the terrorists found about it and had to leave ASAP :( I live in CA and never left it before or went to visit any other state and i will definitely apply to other states because I am sick of CA.

thank you so much for your reply

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Applying late

For what it's worth, you're not alone in this boat - I submitted my app last week and it is still waiting for approval...and I'm taking the MCAT 9/3. Less than 2 weeks!
It sounds like you have a really standout story, and facing that kind of strife in your life represents a flavor of resilience and overcoming that most of us (and adcoms) could hardly fathom.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
my sGPA is 3.42 with 4.0 in postbacc science classes anatomy, physiology, genetics, molecular bio, and etc. my overall 3.6. EC i have 4000 hours research, 1392 hours clinical volunteer, 1000 non clinical volunteer. I graduated from a UC in 2017
I have interesting story and PS as I escaped war and death threats ( my family worked with the US army and the terrorists found about it and had to leave ASAP :( I live in CA and never left it before or went to visit any other state and i will definitely apply to other states because I am sick of CA.

thank you so much for your reply
Post your MCAT score here when available in September and I will recommend schools based on your score, GPAs and ECs.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users