Applying later with more courses vs applying earlier with fewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spriteling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional applicant who will hopefully be applying during the 2014-2015 application cycle. My situation is somewhat unique in the fact that I'm an American citizen and resident, but I did my undergraduate degree (in physics/mathematics) in the United Kingdom. Starting this spring, I'll be taking the required biology/chemistry/organic chemistry courses at a US institution. By mid-July, I will only have completed 2 semesters worth of courses in the US; these should include chemistry II (as I have credits from chem I) and lab, biology I and lab, introduction to microbiology, psychology, sociology, organic I and lab and possibly human biology I. I would be in the process of taking biology II and lab, analytic chemistry, orgo II and lab. Would the benefit of applying in July outweigh the benefit of having more grades on my transcript and sending in my primary in mid-August?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-traditional applicant who will hopefully be applying during the 2014-2015 application cycle. My situation is somewhat unique in the fact that I'm an American citizen and resident, but I did my undergraduate degree (in physics/mathematics) in the United Kingdom. Starting this spring, I'll be taking the required biology/chemistry/organic chemistry courses at a US institution. By mid-July, I will only have completed 2 semesters worth of courses in the US; these should include chemistry II (as I have credits from chem I) and lab, biology I and lab, introduction to microbiology, psychology, sociology, organic I and lab and possibly human biology I. I would be in the process of taking biology II and lab, analytic chemistry, orgo II and lab. Would the benefit of applying in July outweigh the benefit of having more grades on my transcript and sending in my primary in mid-August?

Apply in July. As long as you complete all the prereqs before matriculation, you're good. Submit your app as early as possible.

Thats a lot to tackle in two semesters (if I am understanding the post correctly). For what its worth, I agree the earlier the better, the verification process can be quite lengthy (even though I submitted my own app extremely late). Where are you planning on squeezing in the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll hopefully be taking the MCAT in March or so; the material other than biology is all largely familiar to me, so I'm hoping I'll do passably well in March and won't have to retake it. If I do need to, I will do so in May.

Yes, as long as you have a competitive science GPA (3.5+).

You should apply when you are ready. No sooner, and no later. Of it means waiting one more year so that
you have the best possible app, so be it.

Is there a way to send schools an updated transcript? By the time AMCAS verification is done, I'll have the grades for several more classes. Could I just send a copy of the new transcript to the schools to which I've applied?