Applying MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspirinPlease

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure I want to pursue an MD/MBA. I wanted some advice on the approach. Many ppl have said to first get accepted to the medical school and then worry about getting into business school during your first year. I'm worried that if I am fortunate enough to get into a top tier school, will the business application simply be a formality given I perform respectably on the GMATs?

In otherwords, apply straight up to both the MD and the MBA to schools like Harvard, UPenn, Duke, UCLA, UMich or..... get into the med school first because the business program is easier to get in once your a medical student there?

Does anyone have any experience with these programs or advice? Greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If anything, I hear that most don't even enter their MBA year until after third year, when you can pass off your clerkship year as your work experience (since many schools require work experience and may also increase your chances of getting scholarship aid)

I think in most schools you apply to your MBA in third year. Also, I've heard it was extremely difficult to get into the programs where you have to apply separately to each at the same time. The expected prereqs for each are dichotomous (school and volunteering vs 3 years at a firm).

I'm applying to my school's MBA in 2 months and I just finished second year/step1. BTW, the business school app is and isn't a formality once you're in. The demand is usually small so the chances are extremely high. On the other hand, if you say something stupid like I just want an MBA because or it will help me in private practice, kiss your butt goodbye. Think of it as the "I want to help people" BS you had to spout and change it to "I want to make money." You just have to play the game.

Oh BTW, I have heard of lots of people that go to med school, then take a sabbatical after third year to do a 2yr MBA at some other school like Harvard/Stanford/Penn. It opens up more opportunities but costs you an extra year. I think if I got into one, I'd just bite the bullet and take the extra year.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD admissions are much more stringent than business admissions--worry about the former first and foremost. Just check the numbers for confirmation of that.

I think flindophile raises valid points. It was at least partially based on them that I decided to postpone doing an MBA myself.

As StevenRF states, I as well know someone who is taking time off to attend MBA school at another institution.

Thanks for all your comments. Everyone, seriously. I must sound like a total neophyte but I thought long and hard about it.

I'm completing a internship at a top consulting firm this summer. I'm interested in bringing health care products to market where understanding the clinical and business side will be critical. I'm also a Bacc/MD student (rice and baylor) but want to look at schools with a stronger business program. I wanted to know which programs let you in basically "auto" cause you're a med student and which ones you really should apply straight up before going. The extra year is important to me...I just want to get started.

Yale
Columbia
Harvard
Mich
Upenn
UCLA

These are the schools I'm looking at. Does anyone which school in particular make it difficult for a current MD to enter the MBA program? Thanks again!

based on your stated career goals, it seems you would be better served by working as an analyst at a firm for two years, and then going to a top business school with a good healthcare program (harvard, wharton, etc.)

if you don't intend to practice, don't bother with an MD