applying now or later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice on whether I should apply to med school or not. I was planning on applying this coming June, but I started asking myself if this was a good idea. The problem I have is that I am not 100% sure if I want to be a doctor. At times I feel like I really want to be a doctor, whereas at other times I feel like doing something totally different. So my question is, is if I should apply now even though I am not sure if this is the career I want to pursue in the future? Should I really be sure I want to be a doctor even before I apply to med school?

Also, if I decide to apply, and get accepted but decide not to attend med school, would that same med school be less prone to accept me again if I reapplied the following year?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you should be 100% committed before you begin the application process. The process itself is a hassel and one might not make it through this first step, let alone med school, without total commitment. I don't want to sound "holier than thou" or self righteous, but I've been through the med school appication process 3 times. I think without total dedication, I would have caved in years ago.

I don't believe people are born to be doctors. One can grow into the desire to be one. Read the many medically oriented books about being a doctor and getting into med school. Although they tend to glamourize the profession, they might paint a portrait of what to expect.

There are a lot of ways to make a great living with noble causes with out giving 7 years of your life and going $200,000 in debt.

Good Luck

Be 100% sure first!!!

I remember the time I was applying being very tedious, strenous & expensive. I hate to be a sour apple, but I had just completed my 2nd year of medical school & the workload & stress I have endured these past two years made my undergrad days paradise.....& to think that it doesn't get any easier.

You will have to LOVE medicine wholeheartedly or else you will go crazy.....believe me!!! The love of medicine was my true motivation to survive the first 2 years...otherwise I wouldn't have made it! Good luck to you!!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
MS III