Applying on 2004-2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay since this forum is filled with 2003-2004 applicants.
Who is applying on 2004-2005?

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually just about to start this same thread when I saw this. I am going to be applying this June. I have Ochem II and Physics II left, apply this summer, take the rest of next year to finish my undergrad. I've narrowed it down to about 8 or 9 schools.

I too am applying this Spring for Fall 2005 ! Will take DAT in June, finishing Orgo II Spring 2004, self - studying for DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is everyone planning on applying to?

i am also applying this spring/summer. I will be taking orgoII and phys II also. I am applying to east coast and midwest schools.

abina81

My plan is:

Now: study for DAT
April: take DAT
May: Submit applications
June-August: Write dissertation & nothing else (yes, I'm still in grad school; argh!)
September: re-take DAT to boost scores
Sept-Dec: hopefully start getting invited for interviews
December: start getting acceptances & (more likely) rejections

I'm in TX, so I'll be applying to those 3 schools (Baylor, Houston, San Antonio), but I'm not yet sure whether I'll apply to any others b/c I don't think I can afford to travel out of state for interviews.

It's good to see there are others out there in the same situation :) Keep postin'!

Why are you planning to fail? Don't plan to retake the Dat - do it right the first time

My plan:

Now through June: Concentrate on school (Winter and Spring Quarters) and "start" on my app (letters and personal statement)
May or early June: Submit app
July-August: Study for the DAT
August: Classes

thats about it...

good luck everyone!

Originally posted by DrRob
Why are you planning to fail? Don't plan to retake the Dat - do it right the first time
I attribute what (limited) success I've had to preparing for (and sometimes assuming) the worst case scenarios. That way, the probability of running into a nasty surprise decreases quite a bit.

Also, I know I'm going to be snowed with coursework starting this week, so I know I won't have as much time as I'd like for preparing for the DAT. My background is in literature and the physical sciences, so whereas the QR and RC sections will probably be a breeze for me, the GC and OC sections could provide quite a challenge, and the BIO section will likely slaughter me no matter how much I memorize.

Then again, I'm kindof a perfectionist, so to me "slaughter" means "get below 20 on that section" which, if it happened, probably wouldn't keep me out of dent school entirely.

And also: have you noticed that "slaughter" is "laughter" with an "s"? :D

Hmm... might have to put that in my sig file...

Originally posted by trypmo
Then again, I'm kindof a perfectionist, so to me "slaughter" means "get below 20 on that section" which, if it happened, probably wouldn't keep me out of dent school entirely.
...I hope you're getting this out of your system now. Keep that attitude up, and see how miserable dental school makes you.

Originally posted by aphistis
...I hope you're getting this out of your system now. Keep that attitude up, and see how miserable dental school makes you.
Good point ... I guess I'm most worried about getting in, after which I'll just have to find a way to stay afloat, but if I don't get in then there's no chance of even getting to try!

I guess I'm hoping it'll be kinda like grad school in that respect. Get into the program (crucial), and then persevere (difficult but not impossible).

I hope that there are more people who will apply in the next cycle.

Originally posted by blankguy
I hope that there are more people who will apply in the next cycle.

Don't worry, new SDNers will start rolling in during the late spring/early summer--about the same time that the lurkers will decided to register and post.

Soon it'll be all new applicants around here.

I am going to apply this summer for the Fall 2005 cycle. Hopefully taking the DAT in April. I need to get off this fourm and go study. Thanx for all the info!!! you guys are a lot of help. Take it easy. And good luck everyone!!!

I'm also on the list for the next application cycle. Finally my turn after reading SDN for over 2 years! My plan is to worry about classes now and study for DAT June/July, take it in August. And of course have my application in by early June(minus DAT scores).

I'm planning on applying for the next cycle too. I have all of my prereqs done, except for the last quarter of Physics. I'll finish Biochem and Microbio by the end of the year. My plan is currently

now-June: School, focus on GPA, getting LoRs, do more volunteering.
March/April: Work on personal statement
June/July: Study DAT
July/maybe August: Take DAT
June: Apply to schools (my top five are currently UoP, BU, Tufts, NYU, UW, UoP being #1 and the rest in no particular order) Will probably apply to about 10 schools.
Autumn: Interviews, please!

I need major help here, I don't know when exactly to start applying. A little bit of info about me, this is my first semester at VCU I'm a transfer student. I have finished all my pre reqs with the exception of Orgo I and II, I'm taking organic I this semester. When should I start thinking about applying, I was hoping to do it next year since I'll be a senior then. What sort of time table should I be working toward? I need help please:(

I'm applying this june as well. I feel behind though, because i have yet to get any letters of rec. Also adding to my stress is the fact that I'm gonna try to retake the dat, maybe this july. Right now I don't know how I'm gonna find time to study for it since I'm knee-deep in coursework.
But I'm for this app cycle to start, BRING ON DA PAIN! :laugh:

I am applying this coming cycle also. I have already graduated so for me I am studying for the DAT, which I will take in May, while working on the personal statement. That way in June so I will be ready to do those apps. I think that it is a good thing to take the DAT before submitting your app so that you know which schools you should be applying to.

Well anyway, nice to meet all of you guys, I am sure that we will all be chatting frequently on SDN.

I also have my degree but have to finish physics. My physics will be over in June but I want to take the DAT prior to or around June to get apps in quick. I was wondering if I should study between my other classes and take the DAT or wait till my classes are finished? Well, its great to finally talk about my own admission, since I have been reading all yours for the last year and a half. Good luck to all you 2003's and and appreciated all the information that you supplied. Gavin, I promise to stop "lurking" from now on. Good luck 2004/05's

B

I'm applying 2004-2005. I'm done with everything just have to finish my personal statement and go through my university's in-house interview process. I made a list of schools I'm applying to and it's already reached 10 which concerns me. Oh well :)

Cheers,
Marshall