Applying only to HBCU Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wise or even pragmatic to apply to only HBCU medical schools? I'm aware that there are 4 HBCU medical schools and my stats are competitive (Cgpa: 3.6+, Sgpa:3.6+, taking MCAT next year) yet I feel I'd be casting a small net. I'd like to apply only to HBCU's because I attended one for undergrad and I feel that my career goals fit with the general mission statements of HBCU medical schools. Does anyone have any insight into this course of action?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it wise or even pragmatic to apply to only HBCU medical schools? I'm aware that there are 4 HBCU medical schools and my stats are competitive (Cgpa: 3.6+, Sgpa:3.6+, taking MCAT next year) yet I feel I'd be casting a small net. I'd like to apply only to HBCU's because I attended one for undergrad and I feel that my career goals fit with the general mission statements of HBCU medical schools. Does anyone have any insight into this course of action?

I definitely think you should broaden the scope when it comes time to apply. I believe that you can receive a good education from non-HBCU schools with similar mission statements (a lot of the ones I applied to had a mission to help an underserved/diverse population). Also, the med school admissions process is unpredictable, to say the least, so applying to 4 schools is very risky. Good luck with everything!

Reactions: 3 users

I thought it was only three: Howard, Meharry, Morehouse?

Members don't see this ad :)
Food for thought: HBCU don't have as much scholarship money as non-HBCUs. With your stats pending a 30+ MCAT you'll a shoe-in for many scholarships at non-HBCUs.

Reactions: 1 users