Applying out of a 7yr BS/MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsindec

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
error

Members don't see this ad.

hsindec,

I had two friends apply out of a 7-yr. BA/MD program. They had guaranteed acceptances to the med school (Northwestern) but decided to see if they could get into better schools in California (where they are residents). Neither of them could get in anywhere, although both had excellent GPAs and MCATs. One applied after his second year for admission after third year, and the other stayed an extra year of undergrad to apply his fourth year. I think that the other med schools are probably thinking that if someone already has an acceptance, it would be pointless to offer him/her another one. In this case, I think having an acceptance already hurts you.

You also have to consider the cost of applying out of the program; the MCAT itself costs $180, not to mention the $1400 for the Kaplan/Princeton courses (if you want them). The application costs for me right now will be about $2000.

I have a sister who is applying to college next year and I'm encouraging her to apply to BA/MD programs. Even if it might not be Harvard Med, it's still medical school and you still have a guarantee to be a doctor. A lot of us applying right now don't have that peace of mind. You guys have a good thing going on, and if I were you I wouldn't apply out.

Getting into any accelerated medical program is an achievement in itself. In fact most of the students who are accepted to these combined programs turn down ivy league and ivy league caliber schools. A conditional acceptance into medical school relieves so much stress. Most students who take the program don't understand how lucky they are until they're pre-med friends at JHU are under torture and stressed out to the maximum. A 'better' medical school?! Any medical school is amazing in the US. You can graduate from the worst medical school and still do whatever you want. I know tons of doctors who graduated from 'not the best' med. schools who went to decent residencies, good fellowships, and amazing jobs. I also know graduates from 'top' med. schools who are working side by side international med. school grads and 'not top' med. school grads. Go kick ass at wherever you are and you're fine. The UMDNJ is good and there is no point to take the MCAT which takes a lot of time to prepare for and is not an easy exam and then get reccommendations, fill out applications, essays, attend interviews, etc. It's really not worth it. I know a friend who went to Columbia undergrad and JHU medical and another kid that went through the Rutgers med. program. The kid from the Rutgers program graduated at the top of his med. class and is now at JHU residency whereas the JHU med. student didn't make it to the JHU residency. You can do any specialty coming out of any med. schools if you do well on the boards and have good grades. You won't appreciate the program now. You'll think that you're underestimating yourself going to not an ivy undergrad/med. school, but in 2 yrs you'll be happy you took this path and in ten yrs when med. schools all over, you'll see how your coworkers come from a range of med. schools around the world. There is no such thing as prestige or rank in the medical field. A good doctor is someone who learns and applies and you'll find the same med. curriculum at all the med. schools.

Some really good combined med. programs that I recommend for people interested in applying to them:

Brown PLME (offers a broad liberal arts undergrad curriculum), NW HPME, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst Physician Scientist Program (most research oriented med. program in the nation), Rice/Baylor, UCLA, UMiami HPME. These are some of the most unique med. programs that you can check out.