Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying out of a med program?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Alipotato, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Alipotato

Alipotato Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am in a highly prestigious 8-year program but I am not sure if i want to stay in it for 8 years. Have any of you left a med program?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

what kind of med program are you in?

3. Alipotato

Alipotato Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

plme

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Is this the MSTP (MD-PhD) program?

5. Alipotato

Alipotato Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

no. it's plme (ba/md)

6. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You BA/MD folks do not have to go through all the things that the rest of us do when it comes to applying to medical school. I don't get it, 8 years is the same thing as going through 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school, which is what the rest of us are willing to do in order to become doctors.

All you folks who come out of high school and get into these "prestigious" 8-year programs, are just not ready to commit themselves to something as big as med school, and now I hear of someone who wants to get out???!!!!

You probably do not even have to take the MCAT do you? And if you do, you could get away with a poor score, like a 20 right, and still move on to the medical portion right? You don't have to go through the AMCAS application process, do you? You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on applications and interviews do you? People like you make me sick because you don't know how good you have it. :mad:

I know people who dropped themselves out of a program like this because they were too immature to realize what they got themselves into, and it looks like you may be the same.

You probably started this thread to get someone to bash you, and I am the one who is willing to step up to the plate and bash you because a little whiner like you deserves it.

7. galen

galen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Why mash alipotato,the OP, for asking a question? He/she didnt invent the BA/MD program. Maybe it is an unfair, unwise idea to admit ppl from HS but it's not his fault. BTW- Isnt this the same type of program that our fellow SDNer, Dr Kevin40 is in? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. lady bug

7+ Year Member

Yup, the plastic/reconstructive surgeon that I shadow was in a 6 year BA/MD program and said that he scored somewhere in the teens on the MCAT :eek: and moved on to med school, because the MCAT scores just didn't matter once he was in that program. He's a phenomenal surgeon BTW.... I'd trust him with my life. That goes to show how the MCAT has no correlation to how good of a physician someone can possibly become. Just another big hurdle for us to get through! :mad:

9. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, he's in the USC one. I think USC requires that you get at least the national average or something.

Isn't the Northwestern program 6 years?

10. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dude, chill. There are other reasons to drop out of a program like this besides being "immature," as you phrase it. Maybe Alipotato is just sick of the 65 (or however many) kids in the program and want to go somewhere else. Or maybe Alipotato hates Providence. Whatever the reason, you're jumping to conclusions without really having any knowledge.

It sounds like you're the one whining. Why the need to be so inflammatory?

11. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OK, I am jumping to conclusions, I did not have to bash Alipotato, and I was whining, but I just find it a little frustrating, thats all.

As for the MCAT thing, I don't think that a person's score on this has any bearing on how good a physician will be, my gripe is that people in these programs don't have to study for it as hard as regular applicants, thats all. My younger sister, who is not a good standardized test taker, just took the August MCAT. She has an incredible GPA, and she studied 8 hours a day for 4 months, while taking PR, and she was only able to get a score in the low 20's. She's going to be an incredible physician one day, but its a shame that she has to most likely reapply because her scores are low, and she has already invested the money into her applications this year.

I'm not the best of test takers either and I only have a 29R on the MCAT. I have spent the $$$ to apply to 32 schools, the rest of my application is solid, I have been invited to one interview so far, and have gotten no rejections as of yet with my applications being complete since early Sep. But some of you may know that I am a reapplicant, applying for a second time after not being able to get off 2 waitlists last year.

Its a frustrating process, as most of you would agree, and I jumped all over this person because of my frustration, and I apologize to Alipotato if I offended you in any way. I would like to hear the rest of your story if your willing to post it.