Applying psych with app geared towards another field... is this a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yellow345

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app was very geared towards another specialty but after starting psych I'm thinking I'm going to actually change my mind and psychiatry. My scores are good but I have heard that an app showing interest in psych is very important when applying. How much of a detriment (if at all) will this be towards my application especially with things getting more competitive this past cycle? I am planning on doing one rotation in my originally intended field of interest during early 4th year to potentially rule it out and then 2 psych rotations.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it is hard to say without seeing the app. 2 psych 4th year rotations makes it pretty clear that you have interest. I published and had a job in another field than psych in med school. My mind changed. No interviewers ever asked.

Reactions: 3 users
My app was very geared towards another specialty but after starting psych I'm thinking I'm going to actually change my mind and psychiatry. My scores are good but I have heard that an app showing interest in psych is very important when applying. How much of a detriment (if at all) will this be towards my application especially with things getting more competitive this past cycle? I am planning on doing one rotation in my originally intended field of interest during early 4th year to potentially rule it out and then 2 psych rotations.

Thanks
I started off with plans for another field and did rotations/research in this field earlier in med school. I think being able to discuss how I decided on psych was an important part of my interviews and ultimately served to emphasize my interest. In my experience, programs expect a large chunk of med students to use MS3 as a way to figure out what they actually enjoy and that’s totally reasonable - I’ve never really understood how people go into med school 100% set on a specialty they’ve only shadowed for a few weeks-months.

As long as you’re genuinely interested and that comes across in your application/interviews, you shouldn’t worry too much about that piece.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

If you did a 4th year elective you will be more than fine. Psych is one of the least competitive fields so programs/PDS are just happy to have people....

I applied with a lot of ophtho research and a heme-onc pub. I matched well, you just need to have a really good story for why you switched, because they’ll definitely ask.