Applying Psych with Low Steps - Apply FM backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorian99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M4 at my state school in the Midwest and I'll be applying to psych this year. Only thing is my steps are on the lower end (Step 1 - 206, Step 2 - 228) and my school's advisers say I should consider applying to some family med programs just in case. I saw that the match rate for AMG's who applied only to psych with my stats in the past are still pretty high at ~90%, so I'm not too worried, but should I really apply to family med programs too anyway? I don't have any red flags.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard psych is more about fit than stats. I dont think you need to apply FM as backup if you apply broadly for Psych. I am only an M2 but gunning for an ultra competive specialty.

I'm an M4 at my state school in the Midwest and I'll be applying to psych this year. Only thing is my steps are on the lower end (Step 1 - 206, Step 2 - 228) and my school's advisers say I should consider applying to some family med programs just in case. I saw that the match rate for AMG's who applied only to psych with my stats in the past are still pretty high at ~90%, so I'm not too worried, but should I really apply to family med programs too anyway? I don't have any red flags.
Did the adviser recommend that solely on the basis of step scores, or are there other factors?

Apply to every psych program and do a lot of interviews. You will almost certainly match if there are no other potential issues.