Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

applying senior year? please help me decide

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by mkhulkar, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mkhulkar

Pre-Medical
    I wanted to know if applying my senior year is a good option for me? I'm currently a junior student with 3.8 GPA. I started out at a community college and transferred to GWU with 3.9, that's where I took all of my sciences except Physics 2. Now I'm enrolled in the Pharmacogenomics Program in which u don't decide which classes to take. My next year in this program I will be taking classes with the 1st year pharm school students, so it will be hard. Students that have graduated from that program say that the GPA will drastically go down the senior year! :( Although my grades were good on all of the basic sciences, I'm very weak in them and I'm not ready to take MCAT this May, plus I haven't taken general Physics 2 and haven't done anything for my ECs yet. I was planning to study for the MCAT, do my ECs and still maintain a good GPA this coming semester but I think it will be impossible! Do you think I should apply my senior year?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you apply then, you need to get on the clinical volunteering now.

I would take the extra year and get a strong app.

4. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Absolutely wait. Your case is a no-brainer.

And get started on ECs immediately.

What is this program? Why are you in it? Is this a degree program, or some fancy major? Any way to use the credits you already have and get a different major?

5. mkhulkar

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your advices!!!

It's a 2 year joint program with Shenandoah University School of Pharmacy, so graduates of the program can apply and go to Shenandoah University PharmD program as second year pharm students because next year we will basically have the first year classes of P1s. It's a fancy degree but I really like it and I thought it would more interesting to go through it. Some of the classes that I took last semester

molecular biology
    psychosocial aspects of health and illness
    pathophysiology
    biostats
    intro to pharmacology and toxicology.

This semester I will be taking

principles of molecular medicine
    basics of clinical research
    management of health science services
    ethics for health professionals
    genome based medicine and pharmacology
    molecular techniques for pharmacogenomics

So by the end of the program I will have BSHS in Pharmacogenomics. You suggest that I apply next year, or take a year off after my senior year and then apply? :confused:

Thanks again

6. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Apply next year, after your senior year, assuming you have all the ECs you need...

Good luck.

7. mkhulkar

Pre-Medical
    Thanks a lot! that's what I will be doing now :)