Applying summer of 2018, date confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys im applying the sumer of 2018, so next summer. Im confused about some of the important dates such as when I should have my application done, when the application opens, when the MSAR comes out for that summer etc. does anyone have a thread that outlines this? I looked and either I have bad searching skills or the dates are not up yet. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience with the process this year, AMCAS usually opens about a month before you are able to submit your app. So for this cycle, it opened around May 2nd and then you can submit on June 1st. They don't usually post these dates until its a little closer, so they probably aren't up yet. But, you can assume AMCAS will open the first week of May and submission begins the first week of June!

MSAR updates in April. Usually the changes between years are minor, you can look at the current values to start building a list whenever you want.
AMCAS opens in early May.
AMCAS able to be submitted in early June.
AMCAS first starts transmitted their verified apps to med schools end of June/start of July.

1) Get the MSAR now and then just renew your subscription
2) start using AMCAS® Tools and Tutorials which only changes slightly year to year. It will give you so much information about this complicated process
3) If you havent taken the MCAT, focus on the prep for that
4) See these two charts for actual data from medical schools on what they look for

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf#page=7
see page 3 (pdf p7) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, and Demographic Application Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants to Receive an Interview Invitation and Offer Acceptance (N=127)

** https://www.aamc.org/download/462316/data/2017mcatguide.pdf#page=9
See page 4 (pdf page 9) Table 1. Mean Importance Ratings of Academic, Experiential, Demographic, and Interview Data Used by Admissions Committees for Making Decisions about Which Applicants Receive Interview Invitations and Acceptance Offers (N=130)

5) Lastly here is my summary of overall timeline

AMCAS 2018 Timeline Summary (post count #030)
-AMCAS May 2, 2017, Primary application opens up. Can send formal requests for transcripts from your schools and letter requests to your letter writers.
-AMCAS June 1, 2017, Completed primary applications with all ECs, PS, and course information can be submitted. You enter the verification queue only when both completed primary application and all transcripts have been received.
-AMCAS June 30, 2017, begins transmission verified applications until late June (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September
-Secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.
-Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above.
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day is early. By late or end of September is about normal speed, by end of October is about late.
--After that point you will generally start getting impacted by the number of applications submitted, the finite number of interview slots, and seats given by rolling admissions. This isnt an absolute date nor is it a fixed timeline. It should be used as a guideline

wow this is great. thank you so much for your help