Applying SUPER late...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubberDuckie7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I waited for my August MCAT scores to come out before deciding to apply to schools this year...but now I feel like I have wasted my money after reading many schools fill their class by January and I'm not even complete at half the schools I applied to! Some schools have been 'generously' kind to process my apps quick tho (rejected PRE-SEC from Wake Forest, and placed on "we'll reject you soon" HOLD at SUNY-Upstate) Things are looking pretty grim so far...

Am I pretty much out of the running for most schools by this point? Is anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

RubberDuckie7 said:
I waited for my August MCAT scores to come out before deciding to apply to schools this year...but now I feel like I have wasted my money after reading many schools fill their class by January and I'm not even complete at half the schools I applied to! Some schools have been 'generously' kind to process my apps quick tho (rejected PRE-SEC from Wake Forest, and placed on "we'll reject you soon" HOLD at SUNY-Upstate) Things are looking pretty grim so far...

Am I pretty much out of the running for most schools by this point? Is anyone else in the same boat?

I know you're probably looking for a reassuring voice or a supportive shoulder to commiserate with here but I'm going to be the voice of reason. If you don't have a 3.5 GPA and higher or a 30 + MCAT from the August MCAT, applying this late, you're in a very very bad situation right now. I would evaluate your application seriously and take a good look at your chances. If you're a strong applicant with stats like above listed, you should continue and do your secondaries ASAP and I'm sure you'll get a couple late interviews and hopefully get in late March or get pulled off a waitlist. But if you're a mediocore applicant or borderline with a 3.4/29 and lower, I would reconsider this applying thing right now. You might think most of the costliest parts of the process is over with (secondaries, MCAT, primaries) but you still have to turn in half of the secondaries and interviews will be expensive. Reapply early next cycle if you're marginal/borderline and if you're strong- finish strong and quickly. Good luck.

Freakingzooming said:
I know you're probably looking for a reassuring voice or a supportive shoulder to commiserate with here but I'm going to be the voice of reason. If you don't have a 3.5 GPA and higher or a 30 + MCAT from the August MCAT, applying this late, you're in a very very bad situation right now. I would evaluate your application seriously and take a good look at your chances. If you're a strong applicant with stats like above listed, you should continue and do your secondaries ASAP and I'm sure you'll get a couple late interviews and hopefully get in late March or get pulled off a waitlist. But if you're a mediocore applicant or borderline with a 3.4/29 and lower, I would reconsider this applying thing right now. You might think most of the costliest parts of the process is over with (secondaries, MCAT, primaries) but you still have to turn in half of the secondaries and interviews will be expensive. Reapply early next cycle if you're marginal/borderline and if you're strong- finish strong and quickly. Good luck.

Thanks! I'm gonna take your advice and FINISH STRONG AND QUICKLY!!! My stats are pretty solid, but the feedback I've gotten so far doesn't make me very optimistic, but i guess I'm too far in (already paid for the 20+ secs already sent) to pull out