Apr 6, 2010
Status
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you can give me some feedback regarding the chances I have in getting into medical school since I'm already in the midst of applying. Thanks a lot!

I graduated from a small liberal arts/all woman's college last May (one of the seven-sisters schools). I was a Neuroscience and Behavior major with a minor in Anthropology. My undergraduate cumulative GPA was a 3.54. My science GPA was a 3.3 and my non-science GPA was a 3.8.

I took the MCAT for the first time this past January and got a 23O. It's a very disappointing score especially for the amount of time I spend studying, but i will be retaking it this May. I was really anxious the first time around and believe that was my major setback for what happened in Jan. My goal is to get somewhere between 30-33.

Extracurricular activities:
In college,
- Volunteered as an EMT-B on college campus for 3 years
- Secretary for Medical Emergency Response Team
- Co-captain for an Indian dance team
- Treasurer for another cultural club
- Tutor & lab assistant for a statistics class

Research experiences:
- Neuroscience research at BU Med
- Neurobio research at Yale Med (scholarship from college)
- Independent research for a semester in college
- unfortunately, no publications...but working on illustrations for my current PI's book and possible abstract submittions after med school application has been submitted

Clinical:
- worked as an admin in med records dpt in high school
- shadowed doctors and nurses in a health clinic for a month (40hrs/wk)
- EMT-B
- TA'ed an EMT-B class

Currently:
- working as a research assistant for a noted surgeon
- on an Indian dance team
- volunteering at a place that provides shelter and food for homeless women

Other facts:
- first generation college graduate
- Chinese (American born)
- family income is below 300% of poverty level

Would appreciate any feedback! Thanks! :)

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Your ECs are great. You look like a very interesting person. Since your GPAs are on the lowish side, your odds of acceptance to an allopathic med school will rest on how strong your MCAT score is (ideally 32+) and whether you have an upward trend in your science classes.

For DO schools, I wouldn't be surprised if you got an acceptance somewhere even with the current MCAT score, but you'd have more choices among the more selective DO schools if it were higher.

If you don't have a steep upward trend in the sciences and you really want to go to an allopathic med school, I'd suggest some postbac classes in upper-level science to raise that BCPM.

CielloStelatto

Non-member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Status
Nobody can really assess your chance of getting in, but I can tell you what stands out to me.

Your academics shouldn't really hold you back from getting in somewhere, though realistically the higher ranked schools would be reaches, due to your sci. gpa. Your volunteer/medical and research experiences should be sufficient, though perhaps it would be a good idea (both for you and for your application) to shaddow a physician outside of a clinic.

As it stands right now, your MCAT score is not fantastic and will make getting an acceptance more difficult, but not impossible. I understand how you would very much like to increase your score to a 30-33, but a 7-10 point increase is very rare and would require a lot of studying and effort. Right now put as much effort as possible into the MCAT and do your best, just be calm on the day of the test, eat a good breakfast and bring a snack that will stick with you. If you raise your score even 3 pts, it will help you out. In that case, make the rest of your application as strong as possible (which you should do anyway), write a great p.s., and shaddow a physician outside of the clinic so you show you have a more broad understanding of your career path.

Also, what is your MCAT subscore breakdown? If you have one very low section, that tends to be frowned upon, so you would want to be sure to bring up that score.

good luck

Apr 6, 2010
Status
If you don't have a steep upward trend in the sciences and you really want to go to an allopathic med school, I'd suggest some postbac classes in upper-level science to raise that BCPM.
I did do better during the second half of college. It was a rough start to college and I got B-'s in both my orgo I and bio I :( I did much better my third and fourth year. Thanks for your feedback!

ziggydoc

Growing a Heart
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Well I will be blunt, with recent trends. (check out the data on AAMC website), it will be very difficult for you to obtain an MD acceptance with your current GPA even if you have a 30 MCAT. However, it is possible if you do score a 30+ on the MCAT with even subscores. It sounds like you are a very interesting person, but the problem with this process is there are way less adcom members reading applications than applicants applying, so you need at least a decent GPA/MCAT to get through screening. Regardless, if you apply broadly, and apply to DO schools as well, you will be a doctor one day. so Good luck!

Apr 6, 2010
Status
Well I will be blunt, with recent trends. (check out the data on AAMC website), it will be very difficult for you to obtain an MD acceptance with your current GPA even if you have a 30 MCAT. However, it is possible if you do score a 30+ on the MCAT with even subscores. It sounds like you are a very interesting person, but the problem with this process is there are way less adcom members reading applications than applicants applying, so you need at least a decent GPA/MCAT to get through screening. Regardless, if you apply broadly, and apply to DO schools as well, you will be a doctor one day. so Good luck!
Thanks!!