Applying this cycle - When to submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying to med school this upcoming cycle. Application submission is soon approaching, and I'm wondering... when should I submit?

I have all my pre-med requirements done except for Physics 2 + lab, which I'll be done with on June 25th. I also won't be taking the MCAT until July 24th, and my committee letter won't be sent in until mid June.. maybe even later.

My GPA isn't stellar (~3.5), but I went to a top 10 school. Other than my MCAT, Physics class, and committee letter, I am ready with everything else and could potentially submit my application the day that it opens.

What do you recommend? Waiting until later in June to submit? Or submitting ASAP?

I am also a non-traditional student working full time in addition to taking classes.. if that makes a difference.

Thanks all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Since you won't have your MCAT score until the end of August, there's no need to submit as soon as possible. However, so that you can ensure that you are verified by the time your MCAT score comes in, try to have your AMCAS submitted by the end of June. If you think your application is 100% ready, go ahead and submit whenever you'd like. But if your essays could still use some improvement, you have some time.

Since you don't know your MCAT, you should submit AMCAS with just one school so that you can enter the verification queue. When you get your MCAT score, you can then add on more schools as you see fit.

I think your MCAT score is what will be holding you back. You won't have one until towards the end of August, so there's no rush to submit. Wait til grades for the Physics classes are posted then submit.... your app will be verified with plenty of time left for the MCAT scores to come out. I second the suggestion to submit to just one school in case the MCAT goes badly, in which case you would probably be well-advised to wait and retake next spring and apply for 2016 entry. You will also want to know your MCAT score to tailor your school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So the advice that you generally hear on this forum - to get the application in ASAP.. does that not apply to me because there are too many missing pieces? Will I be "late" if I submit towards the end of June?

Thanks once again! :)

The physics grade is not an issue, but you won't be complete without the MCAT score. In your situation, there's no point in rushing to get your application in ASAP because your score won't come back until August anyway.

So the advice that you generally hear on this forum - to get the application in ASAP.. does that not apply to me because there are too many missing pieces? Will I be "late" if I submit towards the end of June?

Submission entails a complete application, that is, with your MCAT score. So you can push the submit button whenever you like, but the application will not go out until everything is squared away. That said, it would be a good idea to get everything ready to go ASAP so you can handle any road blocks that may come along, such a transcript verification issues, without unduly delaying your application any longer.

Submission entails a complete application, that is, with your MCAT score. So you can push the submit button whenever you like, but the application will not go out until everything is squared away. That said, it would be a good idea to get everything ready to go ASAP so you can handle any road blocks that may come along, such a transcript verification issues, without unduly delaying your application any longer.

Just to clarify for OP...

When you submit AMCAS and your transcripts are all received, you enter into the verification queue. You do not need your MCAT score or LORs in order to get verified. This process can take up to 6 weeks, or even longer if there's an issue like this past year. The earlier you submit, the shorter the time it takes to get verified.

You will not be considered complete at schools (which is when you can be considered for secondaries and/or interviews) until your MCAT score and LORs are in. Once you submit AMCAS, the school(s) you submitted on AMCAS will see that you are applying to them, even if you haven't taken the MCAT yet. They will wait for the MCAT score to come in before considering your application complete. So while it is not necessary in your case to submit ASAP since you won't get your score until August, you also should not wait around until mid to late summer. Submitting at the end of June will be perfectly fine. I think what DrCharlemagne was referring to was that "early" vs "late" is dependent on when you are complete at schools, not necessarily when you submit your application. An applicant can submit AMCAS day 1 but not have their LORs in until September. At that point, they are no longer an early applicant.

Reactions: 1 users