Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applying this fall...input desired (stats included)

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by Blacksheep214, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Blacksheep214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    First off, here are my stat's:
    Marine Corps veteran (5 years)
    Community College-
    3.45 GPA
    Student government-1 year
    President of premed club
    Crouch Scholarship for avian behavior recipient
    Shadowed orthopoedic surgery for a semester...it was awesome!!!!
    A.A. transfer studies degree

then I tranferred to UC Berkeley...
    3.1 GPA (only completed 1 semester so far)
    Major is rhetoric

I am taking organic chem. 1 and physics 1 this semester(Spring 2007)...

organic chem. 2 over the summer...

physics 2 and general chem. 2 in the fall and will be finished with my prerequisites.

My main concerns are the following:
    1) UCB's department of chemistry is very visible and considered one of the best in the country. The classes are all premed high school prodigy type folk. This could be seen as good, as I will be very prepared academically. But, my grades are showing the competitive nature. C+ in gen. chem last semester and it's looking similar (probably a B) in organ. chem. 1. Do the admissions boards take this into consideration? I have a friend who completed his prereq's at community college with a relatively respectable GPA and got in. Though I wish GPA was not weighted so heavily in admissions, I can also see why it is almost necessary...would taking the remaining prereq's in community instead of Berkeley be a good idea? My GPA would be significantly higher, but I don't think I'd be as well prepared for pod school. I just REALLY have had my heart set on Podiatry for a couple years and it would be a shame to squander my chances because I decided to take the better education over the better GPA. Any recommendations?

2) I won't be finishing my prereq's until the end of this fall (2007). I'd probably take the MCAT in April. When should I apply?

3) How are my chances at getting in looking?

Any other advice? :D

Thanks a million...wait, thanks ONE BILLION! <pinky to lip>

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nd2az

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    i would say that the most important thing is that you do well on the MCAT. i was accepted to AZpod for fall 2007. i have an average gpa and have recieved a few C's in my undergrad career. i took the MCAT twice, improving significantly the second time around. my grades were not mentioned in the interview, but they did wonder what happened with my first MCAT score.

your experience will be a moajor plus for your resume.

i would stick with berkely. they will know something is up if you go back and forth.

best of luck!

4. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    1) I agree with the other poster. They may ask about tougher classes and your GPA during the interview, but your MCAT will carry the most weight. I go by the principle that the MCAT is the great equalizer. You friend that took classes at a CC same not score as well on the MCAT b/c they were not taught as well.

2) I would apply this fall not this spring. You'll have less scholarship opportunities and less school chooses (some classes are already full). If you MCAT does not turn out great in April, then you can always take it again this fall.

3) I think that you are looking good so far. Just work hard and do well on the MCAT and you'll do fine.

5. funfeet

funfeet Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    From my experience, apply as early as possible. Most schools just want everything finished before matriculation. The man who interviewed me went to my undergrad and knew how difficult the curricullum is. Scholl took it into consideration. Like other posters, do well on MCAT, you'll do fine.

6. Catayst

Catayst Hardest working man in toe business
    7+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Nice Dr. Evil reference.

Finish up at Berkeley, a couple C's means nothing. Grade gunners can sometimes make for lousy doctors, and admissions know that.

What's more important is that you can handle the more difficult curriculum (yes, perhaps a marine might know a little something about difficult schedules) and your passion is in podiatry.

7. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I was thinking about your post this morning. Are you taking the MCAT this April? If not I would suggest moving it up even though you will not be done with all of the pre-reqs. I would suggest studying over the summer or taking a Kaplan. The reason is, many schools will accept you until you have a complete file.

8. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I only know how admissions at my school works.

They use the college rankings by Newsweek. Your GPA is put on a scale based on what tier your college is ranked under. There are 5 tiers (I think).

So unless your school is high on the tier list even though the classes may be tough it will not matter.

The tiers are based on the admissions of the colleges (selectivity) and some other factors like student to faculty ratio... it has nothing to do with how hard the classes actually are.

Everyone knows the UC berkley is a good school.

Stick with it, do your best, apply in the fall.

9. Blacksheep214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This post sure has calmed the nerves. Thanks for the responses.

As far as the MCAT goes, I will be taking the Kaplan course beginning this summer. I'll also be taking 2 classes, one of which being my second semester of organic chem. so I'm not sure how much time that will leave me to study.

I'll be taking my second semester of gen. chem. and physics this fall and will then be finished with the prereq's. Any ideas on when I should take the MCAT? I'm sure I'll have a better idea for how prepared I am after spending some time with the folks at Kaplan, but you may know better than I if reviewing 1000's of questions would better prepare me in lieu of having the actual prereq's finished.

Well, it's about time that I take care of my tired feet. Off to kick back, pour a snifter of gum bleed and scowl at happy couples walking by my place.

10. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I would suggest this fall. I'm not sure when it is offered but I would do it before the 1st semester is over.

11. Blacksheep214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The last date they offer it is September 9th...then I'd have to wait until January. Yikes!!!! Maybe the Kaplan course will boost my confidence before then.

Cheers!

12. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    See how you feel after the Kaplan. But the earlier you apply the better.

13. AlleghenyPOD

AlleghenyPOD 1st Year MD-bound
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey mate,

I am in the same situation with you; I'm currently a junior in Allegheny College in Pennsylvania, which is a small private liberal arts college and our biological sciences program as well as our other natural sciences programs (biochemistry, chemistry, neuroscience, biophysics, physics, neurobiology etc) are distinguished in many of the undergraduate institutions in this country; as well as considering that our pre-health program has maintined a 90% acceptance rate to medical schools or allied health schools for our pre-health/allied health students.

As an Alleghenian, I'm a dual major in Biology(Mircobiology-specialized) and History (French Revolutionary History/Nationalist discourse) and will be finishing up my required senior composition this coming fall and spring semester in the 2007-2008 academic year. However I just want to know if I have a good chance at schools such as Barry University, Temple University, Scholl College etc.

My current science GPA is at : 3.625
    My current overall GPA is at : 3.24
    So far, Ive taken the Kaplan/Mcat class and the highest practice exam score I've recieved was a : 29
    I'm rather scared because I will be taking my MCAT on May 25th and want to hit over 30 at least (I'm goaling for a 33+)

As well as my experiences goes:
    1) Served as a Allegheny Bonner Leader Volunteer on my freshman year and volunteered at the local methodist nursing home
    2) Served as a hospital volunteer back home on the summer of 05, 06
    3) Was a Medical extern with the Family practice physician near my campus on the fall of 07' as well as externed with a pulmonologist in the summer of '06 for about 3 weeks
    4) Currently a medical extern with the local podiatrist near my campus; and seen over 40 patient cases so far (ranged from general bunyon cases, to total nail removal of a diabetic geriatric patient, removal of warts, and observance of actual podiatric surgery)
    6) Assistant researcher for Biology Professor: Limnology-oriented research
    7) Was a Teacher's Assistant for a History class/ independent study based
    8) Did a summer research internship in the Ukraine, which was funded by my college--i did a biological related research on the effects of the Chernobyll incident in the Ukraine and the oncological effects it had on the people in the surrounding district; there have been high pediatric oncological cases as a result of this incident since chernobyll leaked.

14. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    if you want to go to podiatry school or become a DO, you should bet set.

15. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just hope so tho, mate. As of right now I'm still somewhat confused in either pursuing osteopathic medicine (orthopedics-oriented) or podiatry. Both fields are what i'm rather interested in, but im more and more leaning towards podiatry. We'll see tho.

16. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Allegheny has a joint program with PCOM you should check into, if youre interested. Sorry, I've been busy lately with this comp, maybe we can meet up before finals?

17. Blacksheep214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Looks like you are doing very well. Keep up the good work and good luck!

18. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes I know of that, and the college also has a strong link with LECOM (Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine), but from a person who is originally from the Philippines and aquainted with warm/nice weather..living in Allegheny College (northwestern PA) has been an interesting experience if I say so myself..lol. I'd like to stay in warmer and closer to home..say in New Jersey and Philly region. Right now im thinking about applying to several D.O schools and some well known podiatry schools and see what the results are.

19. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks, mate. I wish you the best of luck as well! Looks like we're in the same boat. What schools are you looking into, by the way?

Regards,

20. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Kaplan works wonders, by the way. From my own experience..it raised my scores substantially. Tho I am very strong in the natural sciences (specially, chemistry and biology), the first time i took the diagnostics for the kaplan course..i got an 18 on it. And after 3+ months of the course and hammering everything in your head, I was able to score a 29 on my last practice MCATs. I took the practice exames 5 times and my scores went from [ 18, 20, 24, 26, 29 ].

I highly recommend you taking the KAPLAN course because they guarantee at least an average of 6+ points increase from your original diagnostic score; they teach you how to strategize in the exam and what one thing i found rather helpful was their panick-management tactics.

Blacksheep, you should sign up for this class before you take the MCATs, mate. It will better prepare you for the exams. Thats my advice. Remember, ALWAYS aim high. :thumbup:

21. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey man, didnt you say you're attending OCPM next year? Yet you're pre-dental? What made you change?

Oh yes! Good luck on the composition man! I hope the comp oral goes great for you; if you dont mind me asking what are y ou doing your comp on? I'm guessing your comping with either Dr. Rankin, Dr. Mumme, Dr. Wissinger or Dr. Baros?

See you around campus, mate.

22. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    Hey.. yea I'm going to OCPM next year. I was a gungho predent when I started out. I knew I wanted to work with my hands and specialize in medicine, but I never really knew much about podiatry until I had to utilize the services of one last year. After much consideration, I decided that podiatry would be the best fit for me.
    And... I'm comping with Dr Petasis, which I can tell you more about later if you want.

Anyway- sorry for hijacking this thread, maybe we can meet up during one of the study days, if you still want to.

Best,

23. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The physics professor? I thought you were a biochemistry major? Yea lets have coffee during final-reviews.

Regards,

24. Blacksheep214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I've decided to take chem. and second semester physics this summer. It will be quite a hefty load for the 8 weeks, but I plan on doing some prep. work between now and then. I have 5 weeks off between Spring and Summer and will be a full-time Kaplan zombie. Some time will be spent preparing for the coming classes, but most preparing for the mcat in September.

Oh, and SDN rocks like Twisted Sister. It's good to get some advice from experience.

A.POD-- I plan on applying to all pod schools except the two that require "different" prerequisite coursework. I don't have the time to take biochem. if I want to matriculate for fall '08. I'll be playing a little catch-up with all of you science majors so I better get ahead on my :sleep:

25. Blacksheep214

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are you from Ohio? Not a big sports nut here, but OSU is really handing it to the world of college sports in a broad, flying body tackle kind of way. Hats off to Florida though.

In this corner, hailing from Ottawa, Ohio, Ryyyyyyyyyannnnnnn the catholic honkie turned liberal space-cowboy K. Or, at least I'm in the proper environment to become one. Well, I'm not really sure what a space-cowboy IS, but if there is such a thing...their population is most dense here in Berkeley. Though its great here in most respects, it will be nice to get around some people with an opinion outside of politics again.

Sorry about this rant, by the way, but while I'm at it...when did the word "like" become a necessary transition between any two spoken words? Is it just California?

Whew! Now I can catch some :sleep:'s

26. Makaveliforever

Makaveliforever Feel free to inbox me with any questions
    10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Hey BlackSheep
    First of all, just keep up the good work (keep trying hard). I know how it can be, a few points away from that good grade or whatever. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, and as hard as it is to say, it seems like it is always better to get a better education than it is to get good grades. In the world we live in now, it is all about end results. Since you are already at this schoool, just try to keep up and maintain over a 3.0-3.1. And if the mcat is tough, it may be a good idea to take the gre, many schools accept that. I got in to OCPM (I will begin his fall) b/c I took the DATs and did very well on it. That's just another option. Anyway, goodluck buddy

27. Dr_Feelgood

Dr_Feelgood Guest
    10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    I would check with the schools that you are interested in. The GRE and DAT are going away. A few schools may still accept them, but in my opinion one should ask why? Many organizations have passed resolutions to only accept the MCAT b/c podiatry is not dentistry, a PhD program, optometry, or a pharmacy program. It is a medical program, so you take the Medical College Admission Test.

28. Makaveliforever

Makaveliforever Feel free to inbox me with any questions
    10+ Year Member

Podiatrist
    Each test is unique in its own way. But for the most part, they each test your knowledge on science and reading. Those are probably the most important subjects for an incoming student. I think all the tests should be fair game (except maybe the gre). That's just my opinion..i'm biased probably b/c I took the DAT... but i'm sure many will agree.

29. AlleghenyPOD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're right. GREs and the DATs are being phased out by podiatry schools as Podiatry is an actual medical field (such as allopathy, and osteopathy) unlike Dentistry, Optometry etc.

I did make sure and asked my pre-health advisor and she confirmed it that Podiatry schools are phasing out the GRE/DAT for the MCATs.