Applying this summer, help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroAP86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I just joined the forum but have been reading on here for a couple years now.

Here is the deal:
Just graduated from undergrad with:

3.32 Cummulative GPA (last 44 credits: 3.75)

3.27 Science GPA

100 hours of shadowing in ER, Surgery, Cardiology, Primary Care, etc.

1 year of nurse aide experience at nursing home(getting re-certified in the next couple weeks, eventually working again in hospital)

70 hours of volunteer for heart foundation/hospital

Good Recommendation from committee at school as well as some doctors I shadowed

Taking the MCAT in April (1st time taken: 22 (8B/7V/7P, only had a month to study but I will rock it this time)

What are my chances of getting into A medical school in the US? would prefer to stay in IL

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
He has a 3.27 science GPA.

Honestly, your numbers are low to have a reasonable shot at a US MD school. Especially with that 22 MCAT.

I think it would be premature to apply this summer. Plan to spend an additional year on undergraduate coursework, focussing on retakes of your worst grades (helpful for your DO GPA). Take the time to thoroughly prepare for the MCAT - take it this August if you are ready and can devote a substantial amount of time to preparation. You're looking for an MCAT of about 30 to somewhat balance out the GPA.

You should also work on your EC's. You don't mention anything leadership-related. Do you have a chance to take on a leadership role within any of your current volunteer commitments? Also your overall hours are a little slim.

Bottom line: much better to take an extra year to make your application the best it can be than to have to re-apply after a failed application year. Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses guys, I have not had any volunteer leadership roles because I have been too busy working when I am not volunteering or studying for school. I know that leadership is necessary but is it must and have people been accepted without having an leadership experience?

I already graduated from my undergrad so its unlikely that im going to go back and retake classes, i didnt do horrible in any classes, there is only 3 C's on my entire transcript but mostly B's in the first two years. Regardless of me getting into an MD school this year, I am likely going to do an SMP program for the 09-10 school year. Going along with that, I am also going to be doing some more volunteer work with families of sick children and work again as a nurse aide.

The 22 on the MCAT is far below what I know I can get, so its just a matter of having more time to prepare which I do right now since I am not going to school this semester.

I know that my credentials are not up to par with most people applying but all I need is an interview to thoroughly explain why my application is the way it is and how determined I am to become a doctor.

Any more feeback would be much appreciated. Thanks Again!

Last edited:
I appreciate that you want a chance to explain yourself - we all do. And BTW, my grades suck so I know how you feel. However, the reality is that at most schools (all?) automatic cutoffs will screen out applicants with a GPA lower than a certain point. Your personal statement may not even be looked at. :(

You do not need to retake classes at your undergrad institution - any 4-year will do. When you put your grades into the DO application service, you can designate certain courses as re-takes. Since DO replaces your previous grade with the new one, it is easy to see that you can raise your GPA more quickly this way.

If you can get an MCAT score of 34 or higher, some Illinois MD schools might give you a chance, especially if you live south of I-80, and have recent excellent coursework.

thanks again for the feedback, so allopathic schools are kind of a long shot.

How are my chances for a DO school?

For DO schools, I think you'd be competitive with an MCAT of 27.

alright guys I took the MCAT on april 24th, just check the score got a 25M (8 PS, 8 VR, 9 BS)...I am already registered for the july 30th exam, am I competitive for DO still or should I wait till I take the exam on july 30th to submit my application?

the scores of july mcat came back, i got 30R (BS 12, PS 10, 8 VR)

Well done! Now get those DO applications out ASAP. Do you have a physician LOR?