Applying this Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

98dent20

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

I wanted to post here because lately I have been having a lot of anxiety with June approaching and me feeling like I am so unprepared and I have no chances. I am seeking advice if y’all think I have any chances of getting in. I am not a US Citizen, I moved here going into my Sophomore Year of HS. I have faced a lot of challenges in college (mostly financially). My sophomore year in college was a rough year and you can see that in my grades unfortunately. However, I have a lot of experience in the field and am heavily involved at school. I took a big hit last year between Orgo and Analytical Chemistry with C's. Anyway here is my info:

Date of submission: June 2019
Overall GPA: 3.33 (by the end of next semester hoping to get to 3.41)
Science GPA: 3.16
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.96
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Have not taken it yet, planning on taking the DAT in April.
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended:
Montclair State University, Liberal Arts School
Major: (Switched 3 times) Data Sciences
Minor: Business
Minority? Yes (Syrian)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 at a General Dentist and he has let me assist him sometimes, 50 at an Ortho, 50 at a Prosthodontist
Volunteering Experience: Over 200 hours of volunteering at a Special Needs’ camp, and serving the community of Montclair.
Employment: Resident Assistant at School, Ambassador at school.
Research: I don’t have a total amount of hours but it’s definitely over 100, Bio-Informatics (building a phylogenetic tree for puffins), 1 publication, and 1 presentation.
Other Extracurriculars: President of Greek Life, VP of my Fraternity, 2 Honor Societies, Pre-Dental Society
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s List, Dean of Students-Second Year Award, and 2 honor Societies. Outstanding Freshman/Sophomore Scholarships.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: My dad is also a dentist back home (Don’t know if I should mention that I’m the statement/during interviews).
School list: Rutgers, Tufts, NYU, UConn, Boston, UBuffalo, Temple, IUPUI, Western U. I’m looking to expand my list, but I mainly am looking at where I have family/friends, so I can cut some costs for interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, this might hurt.

You will need a superb DAT score. Average DAT won't get you anywhere. I'd say you will have a chance starting with a 24 or so and even then, for the schools that look more heavily into DAT rather than GPA like NYU.

You said you have a lot of experiences in the field and involved in school, but what I read in your post is on par with what average applicants have, if not less.

Study hard for your DAT. If it doesn't turn out well, consider masters and do well there. In the meantime, do some more volunteering. If DAT score comes below average, take it again. Do not take the exam if you are not fully prepared. Do not apply if you are not fully ready. You do not want to go through studying for DAT again or applying the second time. You are better off taking a gap year, fill it with a ton of things to use in your application, then apply when you are a better applicant. I am talking from my own experience.

I can relate to the financial issues and the burden. Keep trying and don't rush. You will get in eventually, given that you've put in your best effort.

Don't. Rush.

Hey y’all,

I wanted to post here because lately I have been having a lot of anxiety with June approaching and me feeling like I am so unprepared and I have no chances. I am seeking advice if y’all think I have any chances of getting in. I am not a US Citizen, I moved here going into my Sophomore Year of HS. I have faced a lot of challenges in college (mostly financially). My sophomore year in college was a rough year and you can see that in my grades unfortunately. However, I have a lot of experience in the field and am heavily involved at school. I took a big hit last year between Orgo and Analytical Chemistry with C's. Anyway here is my info:

Date of submission: June 2019
Overall GPA: 3.33 (by the end of next semester hoping to get to 3.41)
Science GPA: 3.16
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.96
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Have not taken it yet, planning on taking the DAT in April.
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended:
Montclair State University, Liberal Arts School
Major: (Switched 3 times) Data Sciences
Minor: Business
Minority? Yes (Syrian)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 at a General Dentist and he has let me assist him sometimes, 50 at an Ortho, 50 at a Prosthodontist
Volunteering Experience: Over 200 hours of volunteering at a Special Needs’ camp, and serving the community of Montclair.
Employment: Resident Assistant at School, Ambassador at school.
Research: I don’t have a total amount of hours but it’s definitely over 100, Bio-Informatics (building a phylogenetic tree for puffins), 1 publication, and 1 presentation.
Other Extracurriculars: President of Greek Life, VP of my Fraternity, 2 Honor Societies, Pre-Dental Society
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean’s List, Dean of Students-Second Year Award, and 2 honor Societies. Outstanding Freshman/Sophomore Scholarships.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: My dad is also a dentist back home (Don’t know if I should mention that I’m the statement/during interviews).
School list: Rutgers, Tufts, NYU, UConn, Boston, UBuffalo, Temple, IUPUI, Western U. I’m looking to expand my list, but I mainly am looking at where I have family/friends, so I can cut some costs for interviews.
I am of the understanding that international applicants are under much more scrutiny than citizens, but I’m not sure how you having been a resident since high school factors in. I would reach out to schools to see how you can strengthen your application with that in mind so that you can feel a bit more confident when the time comes.

Definitely do your best in the remainder of your classes to get all A’s, and make sure you are setting aside time to study effectively since you plan to take the DAT in April - presumably with a full course load. Time management is going to be your best friend here because studying like this is stressful and incredibly time-consuming. I would shoot for 21+, but higher is better to allow schools to give you more favorable consideration.

That said, don’t kill yourself to attain all this. Dentistry is not worth suffering mentally. Take breaks to do something enjoyable, and practice self-care regularly.

I agree that you don’t need to rush if you feel that you’re underprepared. There is no shame in taking a gap year or more. In that time you could work, take post-bacc classes, or take on a master’s. That is up to you and your comfort level.

Hope is not lost by any means for you, so keep working hard to show your dedication. If this is your passion, I believe you have the power to achieve it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any chance of applying after you receive citizenship? I'm guessing you'd be eligible for it soon. Also Syrian is not considered a minority unfortunately just fyi. Other then that the ppl who posted above me already covered everything.

Thanks all for your honest and helpful replies. I am going to take my DAT and decide what to do from there honestly. I am taking 12 credits this semester, and they should be relatively "easier" classes for me. So hopefully I will have more time to prepare for the exam.

Any chance of applying after you receive citizenship? I'm guessing you'd be eligible for it soon. Also Syrian is not considered a minority unfortunately just fyi. Other then that the ppl who posted above me already covered everything.

Unfortunately, I won't receive my citizenship for another 2.5 years, so I will be out of college for a year and a half, which means I would not be able to start dental school until Fall 2022.

Thanks all for your honest and helpful replies. I am going to take my DAT and decide what to do from there honestly. I am taking 12 credits this semester, and they should be relatively "easier" classes for me. So hopefully I will have more time to prepare for the exam.

Unfortunately, I won't receive my citizenship for another 2.5 years, so I will be out of college for a year and a half, which means I would not be able to start dental school until Fall 2022.

Good luck on your DAT I had a similar GPA to yours and got accepted with a 21AA and 22TS but since your international you'll probably have to do a lot better. Also make sure you apply as disadvantaged due to your financial hardships and make a killer personal statement!