Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

applying this year or waiting

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mdboy, Jun 8, 2002.

1. mdboy

mdboy Junior Member

Hi All,
    I got a 27. 7V,10PS,10BS. I am definitely going to retake the test in August. Should I applying this year with these scores and tell them that I am also taking the test in August or should I wait and apply a year late. The only thing is that I don't know how much am I going to improve, so I would be applying without knowing my score. I will also have 3.7 from a top 25 school. I heard about a lot of people not getting because they apply late.

thanks for your help

2. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would apply without a doubt, you can submit you application as soon as they start accepting them and retake the mcat in august.

3. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would apply now but prepare to retake the MCAT in August.

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, send AMCAS out now so it can be processed and ready the minute your August scores are sent. And it's also somewhat possible you'll get sent some secondaries while you're waiting. Your MCAT score, while a retake is advised, isn't bad enough to hint that you can't do a good deal better (at least a 3 point increase).

5. mdboy

mdboy Junior Member

Thanks a lot for your help.
    If you guys were in my shoes, how would you prepare again? I took Kaplan but didn't finish all their material. Some people say do the verbal from other tests like LSAT and GMAT. Should I take a course or study on my own? If I do study what should I get (PR,Berkeley or something else). As for applying now, would they hold my application until the MCAT scores for August is available or would I get secondaries based on these scores? I know some schools just give out secondaries for money.

6. medname

medname Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey-

I applied this past year and took the april and august MCAT's. I might have gotten in with the 27 that I had, but I decided to retake it and ended up getting a 31. The first time around I studied the test and kind of lacked in restudying the material. The second time around, I outlined all of the Kaplan book. I learn by writing.. Might not have been the best way.. I would say KNOW the material and the test will come to you. For the verbal, practice, practice, practice, on any test you can get your hands on. Also I think it helps to do some reading especially if you are not an avid reader. One thing that helped for me is to make sure I pace myself and not get behind. Allow for a given amt of time to read and then a given amount to do the q's. Underline important things as you go.

I think I finally submitted my AMCAS in the end of sept. Do it as soon as you can. I think I got secondaries before they got the scores on my august test. But then they will wait to see what you got on the second MCAT. But, just for your info, the AMCAS people were really screwed up last year with the new system and everything was behind. It probably helped me a little because I was a little behind in applying. I still got into medical schools. But, the ones that I had the most success was the ones that did not accept on a rolling admission. For example, they would accept so many each month by looking on the months interviewees and those preceding. You need to get your app in asap for those rolling admissions that fill up fast!!!!