Applying through VSAS during time off for research?

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by medstuffs, 05.17.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. medstuffs

medstuffs

Medical Student
    Hi everyone, wasn't sure how to phrase the title exactly but basically my situation is this: I was planning to take some time off between 3rd and 4th year to do research and possibly pursue an MBA (school says it would require an official leave of absence and I'd be re-admitted when I return), but what I failed to realize was that a student has to be actively enrolled in school to apply through VSAS for away rotations during 4th year. I've heard of other students taking a year for research between years 3 & 4, how did those who did this find away rotations during 4th year? Can provide more details about my situation if anyone wants them.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. WaylonS

WaylonS 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your school reinstates you in VSAS in the winter before you start fourth year. You don't have to be enrolled to apply through VSAS, however, you do have to be enrolled for when you do the away rotation.

4. medstuffs

medstuffs

Medical Student
    Thank you for the quick response. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is the difference between re-instatement and re-enrollment? The school has already said I will be marked as taking a 'leave of absence' and VSAS website mentions that a student must be enrolled in school to use its services.. It sounded like I had to be enrolled to apply through VSAS not just during time of away rotations?

5. medstuffs

medstuffs

Medical Student
    Hey there, just wanted to update people about my situation. I spoke extensively with people at my school.. Had to go through a few people to get a straight forward response. I've been told since I'm not at a "research" school, any student wishing to take time off before 4th yr for research will be taking a leave of absence and have to re-apply for admission again (with guaranteed acceptance of course) to finish coursework their last year.

For me this would mean not being able to use VSAS services until I'm re-enrolled mid July, and would have to try to secure away rotations outside VSAS for the most part it looks like. What are people's experiences applying for away rotations outside of VSAS? Is it significantly harder? Will I have a hard time being accepted if I have to explain that I'm currently in a 'leave of absence' even if it's for research?

Thanks for the input!

6. WaylonS

WaylonS 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, your med school really hates their students. Find out who your school's VSAS coordinator is, and ask him/her directly if they will allow you to register for VSAS next spring.

The most difficult thing about applying to schools that don't use VSAS is that oftentimes you need to track down an admin from your school to sign or stamp your application. If you'll be in the same city as your med school, its not too difficult, but if you aren't, it can be a pain in the butt

DermViser likes this.
  7. medstuffs

medstuffs

Medical Student
    I have spoken with our VSAS coordinator, everyone has told me the same thing so it is what it is I guess. If the most difficult part of applying outside of VSAS is inconvenience then I can handle that. I was more worried about how difficult it would be securing away rotations in general without VSAS.

Would still love to hear people's experiences that had to apply for away rotations this way. Thanks!

About the ads