RxPlacebo

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm going to be applying to pharmacy school for fall of 08'. When I apply I'm going to go all out and apply to about 20 schools to increase my chances of admission. Like most people, I will need financial assistance and have to file the FASFA.
My question is if you are applying to about 20 schools all of which have drastically different tuitions how do you document that on your FASFA.
If anyone has any information please let me know.

Also, I was thinking I would apply to law school (which I also have an interest in) in Fall of 08' too. I wonder how that would be handled alongside the pharmacy school applications on the FASFA as well.

Thanks for any input.

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
Your going to need to take out a loan just to apply to that many schools. That really seems like overkill. You enter in which schools you've applied to on your fafsa application. Each school then takes your fafsa information and figures out your aid package based on your EFC, their tuition, etc.

DHG

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Northwest. Waaaaaay northwest.
Status
Pharmacist
Just curious...

Why do you want to apply to THAT many? I could understand 5-10 if you were worried about getting in, or even to have choices of location if you get accepted to more than one... But 20? That's insane. You'd have to hire a full-time secretary to help you with the application process.

If it is because you are worried about getting in, I seriously doubt there'e that much more advantage to applying to 20 compared 5, if the 5 schools you choose are significantly different (PCAT vs Non PCAT, research vs non research, in-state vs private, etc).

I would advise against applying to that many schools. I don't think that would be a particularly good decision.

Pharm47

Just keep running...
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Portland
Status
Pharmacy Student
That is straight-up ridiculous. Why not throw in Med school too, add another couple thousand to your bill?

Here's some advice: Spend some time to figure out what you really want to do (pharmacy, law, medicine, street vendor, stripper, etc) before you waste your time and money, not to mention the time of the admissions committees reading your application.

Take a year off, volunteer in a pharmacy, or get a job in a law firm. Find your real interest - don't just pursue the "careers" that supposedly come with big payoffs.

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't know about law school, but in the case of pharmacy school you might already know whether you had been accepted or rejected to some of your schools before you had to turn in the FAFSA, which would help cut down the amount of school codes you have to enter.

I do second (third?) the other posters - 20 is way too many. You need to spend some time assessing what your interests in pharmacy are, as well as thinking about where you might want to live, if your stats match up well with the schools, etc. If you are applying to PharmCAS schools, I'm not even sure if they would let you do that many.

OP
R

RxPlacebo

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My first choice career is Pharmacy by far. However, due to the extreme competitiveness of Pharmacy admissions, I may not be able to get accepted. I want to increase my chances of getting accepted by applying to a lot of schools. I agree with you 20 schools is over kill but I will probably apply to 8-10. I've read a post on SDN where an individual applied to 40 schools and got accepted to only 1! So, ridiculous or not people are doing it..

As far as making a decision about my career, I already have, I want to be a pharmacist. I mentioned law school because, I am interested in law and you ALWAYS have to have a Plan B.

I noticed in the short time I've been a member that a lot of people on these boards are hostile, rude, and presumptious. Please be respectful, and don't jump to conclusions, I'm probably older and have more life experience than you think. I'm 27 and pursuing a M.S. at Johns Hopkins U. My original question was about Financial Aid and applying to a lot of schools. It's amazing how everyone decides they need to judge me and throw there 2 cents in regarding my choices. :thumbdown:

Pharm47

Just keep running...
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Portland
Status
Pharmacy Student
Halfway through my response, I decided to take my Mom's advice:

If you can't say something nice...

doublehh03

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2005
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
u'll know u will have a good chance somewhere by looking at the accepted students statistics that the school websites provide. if you're above the average for the GPA and PCAT (where it is required), then don't apply too to many.

my TA for microbiology last quarter said she's applyin to 30 schools and EVERYONE was shocked.

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
20 schools seem a little bit overboard.....but if you got the money, go for it........

RoyalBean

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2005
Madison, WI
Status
Pharmacist
I know everyone says turn in your FAFSA as early as possible, but I'd wait until after you decide where you are going and then fill out the FAFSA, I did that, and I ended up turning down government loans cause they gave me more than I needed (...$14,000 for living expenses?).

You probably can't do this with some schools that don't make decisions till May or June, but most schools give a decision earlier I think...

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
Why stop at twenty?

Double those chances by going for 40! :idea:

patmcd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Southern US
Status
Pharmacist
Its better to fill our your fafsa as early as possible and send it to all the schools you might end up at. If you end up not getting in to some or turning them down you haven't lost anything. But you've got your fafsa in early for the best shot at fed loans.

Gauden44

./.|.\.|./.|.\.|./.|.\.
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
If you really want to optimize your chances, apply to all of the pharmacy schools. It's like the lottery: Chances are, you'll have fun.

twester

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacist
When I think back to my application process, three applications was a lot more work than I expected. The PharmCAS was fairly straightforward. All but one of the supplemental applications were a bit of a pain. Multiple essays, filling out forms that duplicated most of the PharmCAS forms. Not to mention the supplemental applicaton fees.

I second the expressed opinion to fill out the FAFSA as soon as you can after the first of the year. I listed about five schools on mine.

JHTN

10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Save some money and go buy a book on pharmacy school admission stats or just go to the schools website. For instance if the average gpa of acceptanece is 3.5 and your is 3.1 or lower and your pcat is not within the range, then don't apply to that school. Apply to the ones that are within your range of grades and test scores and then maybe apply to 1 or 2 that is a bit higher but would have a chance.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status
rx - I really don't know the admission rate for pharmacy applications. But..if its like medicine, 20 is not too many. My daughter applied to 30 medical schools, got interviews at 11 & accepted at 9. Now...there are about 80-something US medical schools....the odds of her choosing JUST those 9 she was accepted at would have been slim indeed (no interviews from her home state, btw.) But...she did do some work to narrow them down. First, she didn't apply to any school which wouldn't accept an out of state student (WA for example - unless you live in Idaho, etc...) or who wouldn't accept less than 5% of the class as out of state. Also...she didn't apply to any school in which her stats didn't make her competitive with the stats of the previous classes. She also didn't apply to any school in which religion was a significant issue (a personal feeling on her part).

Yes - it was expensive...but you can choose what secondaries to do & where you interview. What is the application amt anyway? In medicine, it was $50 each - so 20 schools is $1000 - small change if you don't choose just the right ones & have to take another year (which doesn't include the stress of the wait).

As for FASFA, she didn't do that until she had her acceptances (it was the first of the year or a bit later), but again...don't know what it is in pharmacy.

Do what makes you feel comfortable - don't worry about everyone else! I'd agree with the poster about getting the book on the schools - find out its admission statistics for the last 3 years or so & narrow it down to what you decide is best for you. If you feel good about 20 - do 20. You've done this once before....so you know what it feels like - right?

Its always good to have a plan B - shows your maturity!

Good luck!

kiko

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I used to work in financial aid. You can't do a FAFSA until after January 1, and although you can use estimated income numbers, it really helps to have done your taxes first. So realistically you won't be able to file your FAFSA until February at earliest. At that point, you might have a better idea about your status at the various schools to which you applied (although there will be some schools that will be horrendous and won't get back to you for months). You can list up to 6 schools on your FAFSA, but if the school you ultimately want to go to isn't one of the six you listed the first time, you can just call the FAFSA people and have them replace one of the schools on your list.

And, if you're not geographically constrained, go for it with the 20 schools. It's better to have choices. Although, I do wonder if PharmCAS tells schools the other schools to which you applied and how the schools would take it. They might just decide that you really want to go to pharmacy school. The financial aid offices are able to see the other college to whom you sent your FAFSA information, but I don't think that most financial aid offices look at that stuff until you've been accepted.

starsweet

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
My sister applied to about 20 medical schools. So, if you really feel that your chances of getting in are that low, I would do the same for pharmacy school. However, it is MY personal opinion (and I know there will be others that inevitably will disagree with me) that getting in to med school is more competitive, so I feel that applying to 20 pharmacy schools is overkill unless you really feel your chances are low, then it's worth it.

Gizmo

?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
RxPlacebo, if you want to apply to 20 schools I think you should go ahead if you have the money. It's a great way to increase your odds of getting an interview. There is nothing wrong with that. Ultimately it is your future and nobody else is going to take the steps to secure a good future for you, so if it means applying to as many schools as you can afford, go for it!

This is how I chose my schools: I went through all of the PharmCas schools and wrote down the ones for which I had the prerequisites and the minimum GPA, etc. I applied to all of those. Then I went through the non-PharmCas schools that I was interested in and applied to all of those. Of course, I started this process at the end of the Spring semester before applying because it is alot to look at and a lot of paper work to prepare. I wanted to make sure that I would have everything taken care of asap, before the fall semester. Anyway, if I remember correctly, I applied to maybe 14 schools, and it only cost me about $1100. I don't think that's much, considering that it's an investment in my future. Also, I applied to so many because I'm 28 and wanted to increase my chances of getting in since I want to start a family someday soon.

Anyway, good luck with your applications, get started early, and apply to all of them if you want. It's your future.

Stephie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
California
Status
I applied to about 20 pharmacy schools this past cycle and don't regret it one bit. Sure it was a pain and cost a lot, but I researched how competitive pharmacy schools are and didn't want to risk waiting another year (I was 28 at the time). I applied to a schools all over the country and was glad I did because the ones I got accepted to are on the other side of the country from me.

Back to your original question- I filed my FAFSA after I had decided which school I was going to. I think this will probably work out for you also because the FAFSA can be filed pretty late (I think I filed mine in April).

Good Luck! :luck:

abt04

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
nothing wrong with 20 schools, im doing about 15. yea it seems like alot but pharmcas really saved you a lot of the work, its the secondaries that will annoy you. i think its a good idea whether or not you want to do either pharmacy or law because the schools will know if you took the pcats or the lsats and during interviews will ask you why you considered both careers. if you dont have a thoroughly prepared answer, they will think you are undecisive, it basically works against you.
but 20 schools, i say go for it. i knew a girl who applied to 30 and only got into 1 and hates it there, so really its all about chance. apply early too, it helps tremendously. Of course, try to apply to the ones that you know you have a chance, if they say avg is 3.5, its gonna be slim.. go for the ones that have avgs of 3.2 and so. good luck

GatorRxGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2005
Somewhere on the beach.
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey you can be the first person ever to apply to all 80 something schools! Why dream of being a pharmacist when you dream of being "that kid with the applications"? Then you can go work at pharmcas with all the application experience.

That really is the nicest I have to say...

skeksis

I'm ok.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
VA
Status
Pharmacist
I have to ask, since I only applied to two schools... Hypothetically, if you apply to 20 schools and actually got offers to interview from all of them (or even half of them), will you actually go to all those interviews, wherever they may be?

kvl1027

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Status
Pharmacist
I think there is only one real problem, or least could be a problem. Most schools are looking for applicants that want to attend their school. If you apply to too many schools it shows that you dont really care where you go, you just want to get in. I'm sure it does increase your odds some, but it might hurt a little too. I think 10 schools would be enough. Just work harder on making yourself more competitive, as far as your PCAT/GPA and you should have no problem getting in.
I mean I know schools are looking first at having the top notch students, but I think if it was between you and another student that were equal as far as credentials are concerned, they might pick the student that shows more of and interest in attending their specific University....just something to think about. Good Luck.

tt_vo503

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
Status
I myself was worried like you, and applied to 8 schools total. Man was the application process hell....I recently got accepted to my first school and still waiting for others to call me for interviews. No rejections yet from the others.:) I think having been over the process and with my first successful interview, I realize your essay and your history really do make a difference. For myself, I did my undergrad at Oregon health and Sciences university (the top medical research school in the nation) with only three undergrad programs, and i was in one of them. I used that advantage and made sure it really shined on my essay and my resume. Sure enough, at the interview, that was all the interviewers asked about basically. Oh...and what were my criterias for choosing their institution. Of-course if i were to bomb that interview, I probably wouldn't have gotten in. When people say to run your interviews they do mean it. Those two questions above took up the whole interview and more, I made the interview into a conversation with lots of laughters, and the atmosphere completely changed. For your case, since you are getting a MS at John hopkins, make sure that shows in your essay and resume. And be prepared to explain why you did that and why you are choosing pharmacy now. I am sure 10 school apps will do it for you, spend more time on making your application spotless, and practicing your interviews. Plus do research on the schools that you are invited to interviews to. It is right that you applying to more schools is better, but in my case I wouldn't think soo. I say spend more time on making your apps better, because with 20 apps..those apps will be mediocre and not stellar. Ohh it also would be an advantage to apply early, and apply to schools that have rolling admissions, this also increases your chances alot. As for the FAFSA, pick the ones you think you have the highest chances of getting in, If you end up getting into one that you didn't put on it, you can always come back and correct it.

Good luck on your future endevors, and enjoy life before you get in pharmacy school, don't clutter it up with 20 apps to do. Certainly not worth it..

Ashphrodite

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2006
Tennessee
Status
Pharmacy Student
u'll know u will have a good chance somewhere by looking at the accepted students statistics that the school websites provide. if you're above the average for the GPA and PCAT (where it is required), then don't apply too to many.

my TA for microbiology last quarter said she's applyin to 30 schools and EVERYONE was shocked.
30?! I applied to 5 and I thought I was going overboard...and 5 alone was still a fortune after pharmcas and supplementals! I had to catch my breath after reading that post. haha. And yes, applying to 20 schools will probably increase your chances of getting interviews, but make sure you research what makes the school special because chances are, most applicants are there because they genuinely want to go to the school and will be bringing their A game. Good luck!

evilolive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I initially applied to 8 top schools but thought that because I had no safety schools tacked on another 5 for a grand total of 13. I have gotten into one school and have only been rejected by 1 so far - I don't think it's necessary to repeat what I did unless you really feel that you need to cast a wide net. Your prestigious graduate work at Johns Hopkins will help you out, but all things equal, I don't think you have much to worry about.

crazychica10

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
To increase you chances of getting in, apply as early as possible. I only appiled to one school and was fortunate enough to get in. Good luck!

beccala33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I think there is only one real problem, or least could be a problem. Most schools are looking for applicants that want to attend their school. If you apply to too many schools it shows that you dont really care where you go, you just want to get in. I'm sure it does increase your odds some, but it might hurt a little too. I think 10 schools would be enough. Just work harder on making yourself more competitive, as far as your PCAT/GPA and you should have no problem getting in.
I mean I know schools are looking first at having the top notch students, but I think if it was between you and another student that were equal as far as credentials are concerned, they might pick the student that shows more of and interest in attending their specific University....just something to think about. Good Luck.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I love my school and am so glad that I researched it and found a school that is a good fit for me. Many schools want to know that you are intersted in them for specific reasons... can you give reasons (other than wanting to get in somewhere) that you want to go to all 20 of those schools? Also something to think about: during my interview with Wingate, the interviewer asked me where else I had applied... how would it have looked if I had had to rattle off 19 other schools?

foraminal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
I like the shot gun approach. Gotta have the $$$ for it. How do they know the # of school you apply to? Does pharmcas let the school know?

Try ED next year only to the school that you know u're competitive.
Pro: You know your faith by Halloween's Day.
Con: You can only apply to one pharmcas school. If you are rejected, you can apply to other pharmcas schools after Halloween. Might be too late (rolling admission), you make the call.