Applying to a school while matriculated in another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I reapply while enrolled in a MD school?

• No, you're an idiot

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Yes you can

Votes: 9 17.0%

• Total voters

confusedaya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
before everyone starts pegging me as evil or an idiot, please here the story out.

I am about to matriculate at a school. However, after living in the area for a few weeks now and meeting some of my classmates, I have decided it is not a good fit and I would like to go elsewhere.

I have an active AMCAS application for the current cycle and I'm sitting on a top of secondary applications that I can fill out if I choose to.

Will the school I'm about to start at know that I'm applying to others while matriculated? Will the schools I'm applying to know I've matriculated? I know they know that I was accepted, but that's not as big a deal to me.

Members don't see this ad.

do_not_want.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious!!!!?!???!??
There are people out there busting their behinds to get 1 acceptance. You should be happy and work hard in the school. You should have withdrawn after the interview.
Also, what makes you think that another school will accept you while you are in another school. If this school is THAT bad, then try to transfer

I'm going to naively reply to you seriously as if you weren't the troll that you probably are

If you really applied to schools, and really matriculated at a school, you would have known that you are locked into that school. No other US medical school will accept you after matriculation, and it is virtually impossible to transfer unless you have an extremely compelling reason (not a good fit is not even close to hacking it)

Its a bit normal to feel overwhelmed when facing medical school before matriculation. However, you really can't judge how the next 4 years will be based on a few classmates and the city.

Transfers are possible.

Talk to you dean ASAP if your really thinking about applying to other schools, the best way for them to find out is not from someone else. If you can clearly articulate a reason for the "Fit" They may in fact help you out. Schools would rather have someone on their wait list who loves to be there, then someone who is going to be miserable and possibly have academic troubles from their unhappiness.

Its a bit normal to feel overwhelmed when facing medical school before matriculation. However, you really can't judge how the next 4 years will be based on a few classmates and the city.

Transfers are possible.

Talk to you dean ASAP if your really thinking about applying to other schools, the best way for them to find out is not from someone else. If you can clearly articulate a reason for the "Fit" They may in fact help you out. Schools would rather have someone on their wait list who loves to be there, then someone who is going to be miserable and possibly have academic troubles from their unhappiness.

^^^^. If you're having a tough time at your school there should be people in the administration that can hear out your problems and see if they can help you adapt to life at your school (Student support staff, etc). If that doesn't work out, they should constructively advise you on how to go about with a transfer.

Are you serious!!!!?!???!??
There are people out there busting their behinds to get 1 acceptance. You should be happy and work hard in the school. You should have withdrawn after the interview.
Also, what makes you think that another school will accept you while you are in another school. If this school is THAT bad, then try to transfer

this argument is so moot. Sure there are a lot of people that would love to be in his position; that really doesn't change one's mental state. If he's unhappy it's irrelevant how many others would die to be in his position.

OP: I hope you're wrong and you learn to enjoy your school after some time. Other schools won't likely touch you if you are matriculated in another one. I hope everything works out, and good luck.

Transfers are possible.

Transfers are possible but very rare

http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.search_policy

Few schools will consider transfers, and of those, only a handful of spots are available. A lot of the schools require "extreme personal hardship" like having a spouse that is at their current school. It's easy for a school to kick you out to get a person who would be happy at their school, but it's difficult for the individual who wants to transfer out to find a suitable school willing to take them in

It's easy for a school to kick you out to get a person who would be happy at their school

I'm under the impression that med schools will work with you to help you deal with any problems your having more than, say, searching behind your back to find a replacement for you

It DOES happen.

You may need a more valid reason, but it's definitely happened--people have applied and been accepted.

I'm under the impression that med schools will work with you to help you deal with any problems your having more than, say, searching behind your back to find a replacement for you

What I was saying was that it's easier for a school to release a person than it is for the released person to find a school that is willing to take them in response to:

Schools would rather have someone on their wait list who loves to be there, then someone who is going to be miserable and possibly have academic troubles from their unhappiness.

And this thread turned into a thread about the viability of transferring schools. What the OP is trying to do (apply to medical schools as a current medical student), is something I have never heard of being successfully done. Here is the AAMC recommendation to medical school

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm said:
No school make an acceptance offer, either verbal or written, to any individual who has enrolled in, or begun an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school. Enrollment is defined as being officially matriculated as a member of the school's first-year entering class.

Last edited:
this argument is so moot. Sure there are a lot of people that would love to be in his position; that really doesn't change one's mental state. If he's unhappy it's irrelevant how many others would die to be in his position.

OP: I hope you're wrong and you learn to enjoy your school after some time. Other schools won't likely touch you if you are matriculated in another one. I hope everything works out, and good luck.

It should change the OPs mental state. He/she should feel grateful that the school choose him/her and not the 50+ people on the wait list. Classes have not even started yet.
So stop judging the book by it's cover.
Research schools that you apply to next time (if you choose to reapply)

Give the place a chance. School hasn't even started yet, so all you have to go on are your first impressions of the locale and a few people you've met. That doesn't tell you much about what your life is really going to be like as a student at this school.

I really like my school, and the town is fairly pleasant. But, truth be told, I could have been living on the North Pole this past year, and it wouldn't have made much difference. I spent so much time in class or studying (either in the library or my apartment) that the surroundings barely registered. As for your classmates, there will always be some people you don't care for. So ignore them--you have better things to do.

As for applying somewhere else, you are screwed. Period. So just accept your situation and make the most of it. As others have said, you're lucky to be in med school at all, when 55% of applicants are rejected everywhere they apply.

Transfers are possible but very rare

http://services.aamc.org/tsp_reports/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.search_policy

Few schools will consider transfers, and of those, only a handful of spots are available. A lot of the schools require "extreme personal hardship" like having a spouse that is at their current school. It's easy for a school to kick you out to get a person who would be happy at their school, but it's difficult for the individual who wants to transfer out to find a suitable school willing to take them in

Dude thanks so much for that link. I can't believe my school (Gtown) has the highest drop-out rate!!