Applying to a short list of DO schools. Is LECOM worth it to apply to for the tuition?

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Planning on applying to PCOM, NYIT for sure but I'm not sure about LECOM.

I heard bad things about the dress code and environment there and there seems to be a general anti-LECOM sentiment here on SDN

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I heard bad things about the dress code and environment there and there seems to be a general anti-LECOM sentiment here on SDN
LECOM has the largest enrollment of any medical school in the United States, I have expressed my opinion of the school numerous times, mostly it has not been favorable, but lets face it, I cannot argue about the low cost of education at LECOM. You will get a medical degree, if you do decide to attend LECOM I would choose the Erie campus and take the regular lecture based didactic curriculum over PBL, unless you have a strong background in the biomedical sciences you will struggle in the PBL curriculum.

PCOM is one of the top DO Schools definitely the top 5 if not the best one, NYCOM is another fine institution, I like the fact that its associated with larger public university, those two would definitely rank above LECOM if you wanted my personal opinion.

A friend of mine who interviewed with me at AZCOM decided to attend LECOM Erie because of cost, when he attended the interview the admissions people spoke of the school's lower cost of education relative to other programs. I think this the school's main strength.

RurouniKarly

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
LECOM is the closest DO school to my undergraduate university, so I know several alumni who go there. The students who actually attend seem to like it just fine, and for the ones in the traditional lecture pathway, they almost uniformly tell me that they wish could go back and do PBL. Their experience seems to be that they chose the lecture pathway because they thought they needed the structure and wouldn't be able to handle PBL, but by the end of the first year they were regretting that decision because they realized they didn't need all that time in lecture and their PBL friends had more free time, better understanding of the material, and more time to study for boards. The campus is a little sparse, there are no fancy bells or whistles like high fidelity mannequins or replica patient exam rooms, but it is adequate for the purpose of teaching medical students to be doctors. The consensus is that the school is not flashy, but the education is good, the tuition is cheap, and there are many support mechanisms in place to ensure you do well academically and on the boards. There are also 3 different ways to go through the curriculum (lecture, PBL, and independent), so you have the opportunity to choose how you learn best.

Nobody I've talked to seems to care about the dress code. The dress code is really amped up on SDN, but in real life it's not as strictly enforced as it was 20 years ago, and the students themselves don't particularly care that they can't wear jeans.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm at LECOM-SH and while it's not perfect, I'm happy with the PBL curriculum and I don't mind the dress code.

PBL isn't for everyone but it's not as clear-cut as whether you have a strong background or not; I know people with years of research experience who struggle, and people with a humanities degree who have no problems.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me (I have an exam on Thursday so I may not write back quickly, but I will eventually).

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
The people I know that go there say they like it fine, as with all schools they say there are things they like and things they don't and at the end of the day they will make you a competent physician. The cheap tuition is probably it's biggest draw to applicants so with it so cheap I would at least apply and give it a shot, who knows you may end up liking it after an interview there.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I will say this. I interviewed at LECOM Brandenton. While the campus there was pretty, my heart dropped seeing how depressing it was.

Its the cheapest school to go to, but it really shows when you see the 1 building that comprises the entire "campus".

But hey, apparently LECOM Brandenton actually has the highest board scores in the country out of every DO school?! 572 or something like that if I remember lol.

Probably because students get a ton of time to study since there is no lecture.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I will say this. I interviewed at LECOM Brandenton. While the campus there was pretty, my heart dropped seeing how depressing it was.

Its the cheapest school to go to, but it really shows when you see the 1 building that comprises the entire "campus".

But hey, apparently LECOM Brandenton actually has the highest board scores in the country out of every DO school?! 572 or something like that if I remember lol.

Actually this is really bad idea, there was a student here who said he was having a lot of trouble with the PBL curriculum. PBL is great if you were a Science major in undergrad or have done an SMP, but if you did not you will struggle with PBL.

I would say this LECOM Erie's traditional curriculum is decent, and there tuition is hard to argue about despite their odd rules about students forced to dress a certain way while on campus. The rule seems to be harsher for male students versus female students.

Its not particularly a student friendly school compared to some other programs where your professors are more approachable people.

The Bradenton students do really well on their Board examinations so that is something in their favor.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Actually this is really bad idea, there was a student here who said he was having a lot of trouble with the PBL curriculum. PBL is great if you were a Science major in undergrad or have done an SMP, but if you did not you will struggle with PBL.

I would say this LECOM Erie's traditional curriculum is decent, and there tuition is hard to argue about despite their odd rules about students forced to dress a certain way while on campus. The rule seems to be harsher for male students versus female students.

Its not particularly a student friendly school compared to some other programs where your professors are more approachable people.

The Bradenton students do really well on their Board examinations so that is something in their favor.
Arent most pre-meds people who majored in the sciences? I did, and everyone I know who applied to medical school did.

Still an average board score is an average board score. Its high.

I agree with you on that if PBL is not for you, then you should not go. The school is too depressing for me to spend 4 years there though.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Arent most pre-meds people who majored in the sciences? I did, and everyone I know who applied to medical school did.

Still an average board score is an average board score. Its high.

I agree with you on that if PBL is not for you, then you should not go. The school is too depressing for me to spend 4 years there though.
Not all pre-meds are Science majors, many majored in a lot of different things. You have people from a wide range of fields in medical school.

I never saw the Bradenton campus myself, I have friend who goes to the one in Erie, I saw that one a while back. Its pretty corporate looking, like a Cyberdyne office building. The security there is super tight. We have gated security at AZCOM but our security officers are nowhere near as paranoid as LECOM's.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Not all pre-meds are Science majors, many majored in a lot of different things. You have people from a wide range of fields in medical school.

I never saw the Bradenton campus myself, I have friend who goes to the one in Erie, I saw that one a while back. Its pretty corporate looking, like a Cyberdyne office building. The security there is super tight. We have gated security at AZCOM but our security officers are nowhere near as paranoid as LECOM's.
Yea well the LECOM B campus literally has a security guard in a control station as soon as you go in behind a glass wall. It literally looks like a miniature control station off of a James Bond movie.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yea well the LECOM B campus literally has a security guard in a control station as soon as you go in behind a glass wall. It literally looks like a miniature control station off of a James Bond movie.
I wonder why they have such tight security, is Brandenton a bad area?

BGMayagi

5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2014
New England
Status
Medical Student
I liked Lecom B, its a simple, no frills school that is all about getting you your degree and getting you to pass the Boards. If you think PBL will work for you, its not a bad program. The school is small but with PBL, you are going to be probably studying at home, in a library or even at a beach if you want. The dress code and what not will only be a thing for 8 hrs a week. Bradenton seems to be a nice area with alot of great cities and beaches around to keep you busy. I think the school will get you where you want to be, as long as your disciplined enough to do the reading with PBL. It shows. If you can do it, you'll thank yourself when you have to repay the loans.

Reactions: Dohnut
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Brandenton looks like a small retirement town, but no I cant say its a particularly bad area.
Sometimes I do not understand school policies, some schools are in some dangerous areas but have lax security, some schools are in areas that have not had a murder in decades but have Fort Knox like security. I wonder.

Reactions: Dohnut
Feb 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I've heard nothing but great things from attendees honestly. It's got a great tuition and they have good board scores.

As far as the dress code goes... You're a professional in training. I think dressing like one is a good thing. I'm also a vet so I like uniformity. Take that as you will.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Sometimes I do not understand school policies, some schools are in some dangerous areas but have lax security, some schools are in areas that have not had a murder in decades but have Fort Knox like security. I wonder.
I think its just LECOM being LECOM.

Gandyy

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Naw dude, I've been to WesternU at Pomona, as soon as the security guard saw me and my fiancé innocently set foot on campus, he threatened to call the cops to arrest us for trespassing, lol
seriously?

doapplicant2015

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
OP-go for it.

Most of the "anti-LECOM" is from non-students so take it for what its worth. As for "struggling" in PBL-if anyone is in medical school and is not "struggling" to some degree then they are probably not getting the education they should be getting. If you can (gasp) wear a tie to school and save yourself $120k over four years (one brand new $30k car/year for 4 years or 1/4 of a mortgage on a nice house in a nice area for reference) then you'll get a solid education and have a good time. Your call

Mavs88

5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2013
Status

Yeah there was a weird vibe for sure.

I'd say if you are thinking of applying to LECOM-B, get as much info and opinions as possible about their curriculum...it is drastically different.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Low tuition can not be sneezed at. Dress code and required attendance are different.

Are you OK with this type of environment?

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PBL is the main downside of LECOM, if you do not have a strong science background, I suggest going to a school with a more traditional curriculum. Sure money is important but you have to consider what you are getting, also LECOM has some pretty strict rules such as their dress code and attendance policies.

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PBL is the main downside of LECOM
You say this a lot. For a lot of applicants and students, PBL is the main draw of LECOM.

Admittedly it's not for everybody (but it's not as cut and dry as science background or lack thereof), and neither are the rules.

OP, if you're on the fence, I'd recommend applying. If you interview and hate it, nobody will make you choose to attend (true for everywhere you interview actually!). If you turn out to like it, and get accepted and matriculate, you may save over $100,000; if you don't like it, you're out probably under $500.

Jan 28, 2015
The Land
Status
I recently interviewed at LECOM Erie and I was really impressed. The weather wont bother me cause im used to it but I will add the dress code made every student seem allot more professional. I believe there going for a "dress for the part you want" kind of atmosphere and it really showed, I liked it. but honestly man you should apply to the schools you really want to go to, tuition is probably the least of my worries.

diniefofinie1

7+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2011
Status
I can't believe anyone would describe the Lecom-B campus as depressing, I think the building is beautiful and the campus itself is stunning

Reactions: Torilynn92
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I've heard nothing but great things from attendees honestly. It's got a great tuition and they have good board scores.

As far as the dress code goes... You're a professional in training. I think dressing like one is a good thing. I'm also a vet so I like uniformity. Take that as you will.
My main issue with LECOM B is not dress code, its the PBL curriculum, when you think of it you are only there a few hours a week so the issue of dress code is moot, schools like Nova have a lecture based curriculum and mandatory lecture attendance, on top of that students must adhere to a strict dress code there.

PBL is good for students with a strong background in biomedical sciences but those with liberal arts degrees will struggle and have a hard time, its better for people from liberal arts backgrounds to go to schools that offer more traditional curriculum.

Aug 10, 2013
Florida
I've spoken with three physicians at my hospital who went to LECOM-B. None of them had anything negative to say about the school. I really only spoke in depth with two of them and they basically said that in regards to the rules you just need to be mature and self motivated to succeed there. They seemed to enjoy the PBL curriculum and while there were still regular classes to go to (like Anatomy), they had much more free time but that doesn't mean you can slack off. Obviously three doesn't represent the entire student body but they seemed to have enjoyed their time there. I also recently spoke with a pharm student there and again nothing but great things about the school and the need to be self motivated. All three physicians are hospitalists in case you're wondering. Not particularly something I'm interested in so I hope when I apply and if I go there my options are not limited.

Jan 28, 2015
The Land
Status
If im not mistaken I believe all students no matter the PBL pathway lecture based pathway or any other pathway all take the core sciences in the first 12 weeks then they branch off to their respective pathways. But I do agree PBL must be difficult for people who dont have a strong science background. Not that its impossible but they would have to do allot more extra work to get on the same page as other students who already know the terminology and science behind it all.

Reactions: ortnakas
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If im not mistaken I believe all students no matter the PBL pathway lecture based pathway or any other pathway all take the core sciences in the first 12 weeks then they branch off to their respective pathways. But I do agree PBL must be difficult for people who dont have a strong science background. Not that its impossible but they would have to do allot more extra work to get on the same page as other students who already know the terminology and science behind it all.
I have a friend who attends the school in Erie, they have a lecture based curriculum there, if you are willing to deal with the other issues of attending LECOM, the school is quite strict and very corporate in my view, I guess saving money on tuition would be worth it. I weighed the pros and cons, I decided on AZCOM despite its high price of tuition.

Reactions: Whats up Doc!

Henry101

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Also, LECOM is the only DO school that is directly affiliated with its own medical center (LECOM Health/Millcreek Community Hospital) with a variety of different residency/fellowship programs (Although, I don't know how many of them will survive the ACGME transition). I've heard that many of LECOM-E's PBL facilitator physicians are from LECOM Health and, as a result, you get to interact/meet with these physicians for (potentially) 4 years.

LECOM is also planning on opening another PBL campus in Elmira, New York so, by the time we start OMSIII, there will be a variety of more hospital sites to choose from for clinical rotations because all LECOM campuses share rotation sites.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
The Land
Status

Also, LECOM is the only DO school that is directly affiliated with its own medical center (LECOM Health/Millcreek Community Hospital) with a variety of different residency/fellowship programs (Although, I don't know how many of them will survive the ACGME transition). I've heard that many of LECOM-E's PBL facilitator physicians are from LECOM Health and, as a result, you get to interact/meet with these physicians for (potentially) 4 years.

LECOM is also planning on opening another PBL campus in Elmira, New York so, by the time we start OMSIII, there will be a variety of more hospital sites to choose from for clinical rotations because all LECOM campuses share rotation sites.
Wow thats awesome I had no idea they were adding another campus!

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Wait, now LECOM has four schools??

ortnakas

DO PGY-2
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There's talk of an additional satellite campus being added in Elmira, but it has not happened yet. I'm not sure of the timeline. We already have a big clinical site there.

Promethean

Syncretist
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Western PA
Status
Medical Student
I LOVE LECOM. I find the faculty to be incredibly helpful and caring and the facilities to be clean, pleasant, and safe. I am impressed that they have gone out of their way to offer several different pathways, so that people who learn differently have options to choose from. People who don't want mandatory attendance can select one of the other pathways where lectures are minimized.

Please, don't apply just for cheap tuition and then join the ranks of the loud minority who whine about the rules... when they knew what the rules would be coming in.

If you already know that you don't want to wear a tie to class and that you can't handle not being allowed to eat and drink anywhere you want, please just go somewhere else. Please don't come here and be miserable. It isn't worth it to you to be unhappy, and it isn't kind to those of us who love it here if you come and then complain about it.

Torilynn92

5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2012
Florida
Status
I LOVE LECOM. I find the faculty to be incredibly helpful and caring and the facilities to be clean, pleasant, and safe. I am impressed that they have gone out of their way to offer several different pathways, so that people who learn differently have options to choose from. People who don't want mandatory attendance can select one of the other pathways where lectures are minimized.

Please, don't apply just for cheap tuition and then join the ranks of the loud minority who whine about the rules... when they knew what the rules would be coming in.

If you already know that you don't want to wear a tie to class and that you can't handle not being allowed to eat and drink anywhere you want, please just go somewhere else. Please don't come here and be miserable. It isn't worth it to you to be unhappy, and it isn't kind to those of us who love it here if you come and then complain about it.
<<applause>
I can't take it when people complain about dress codes at schools, as if that really matters to the quality of education.. I'm interviewing at several dresscode schools and I totally understand why they require them. They want their students to look like business professionals and to take their job (being a student) seriously. I'm sure it's a pain to get dressed up every morning, but it's certainly not enough of a con to bash the school for it. Also - I have misophonia, hate listening to people chew in class, so the no-food thing is a plus in my books. :laugh:

Reactions: Promethean

Promethean

Syncretist
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Western PA
Status
Medical Student
People have a lot of things to say about the security at LECOM, and some of the concerns might have some merit... but the upside:

I regularly leave my wallet, my car keys, my cell phone, my laptop, my bookbag... anything I don't want to carry around with me, I just get up and walk away from it, and when I come back, it is still there. In the library, in the lecture hall, in study rooms. Our lockers are very small, so I don't bother to use mine for anything but my stinky anatomy clothes. When I do leave things in the locker room, I just set them out in the open, beside my locker. Everyone else does the same.

I have no fear that a fellow student would rip me off. We have all gone through so much to get here, and no one would want to jeopardize that now over something so trivial. But one of the benefits of crazy tight security is that I know that it really is a closed environment. There won't be anyone who isn't supposed to be there wandering around.

At hospitals where I have worked, people had money and other valuables stolen from their lockers, from their desks, from their med carts. So many random people had access, even to "restricted" areas, like the OR and the OR locker rooms, that there was no way to know who had taken what. For all that LECOM's security may be a bit over the top, they have successfully made an environment where I don't spare a second thought about my valuables. My stuff is safer on my desk in the lecture hall than it would be on my desk in my apartment.