Applying to a West coast school if you’re from the East?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ach05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any obstacles I’ll have in applying and going to a west coast school if I’m from the east coast? I don’t really mind working in the west coast if I have to after graduating for a year or two but is it a tough process to start working in the east coast eventually? I’m considering applying to UNLV since the COA is relatively cheap. I’m from NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there are any obstacles I’ll have in applying and going to a west coast school if I’m from the east coast? I don’t really mind working in the west coast if I have to after graduating for a year or two but is it a tough process to start working in the east coast eventually? I’m considering applying to UNLV since the COA is relatively cheap. I’m from NY.
No, besides travel and moving all your stuff. I believe NY is weird in that you must “intern” for a year in the state before working or something, but I’m not entirely sure about that.

I go to UNLV and have classmates from New York, New Jersey, Florida. So going East Coast to West isn’t a big deal.

No, besides travel and moving all your stuff. I believe NY is weird in that you must “intern” for a year in the state before working or something, but I’m not entirely sure about that.

I go to UNLV and have classmates from New York, New Jersey, Florida. So going East Coast to West isn’t a big deal.
In terms of residency, can you get residency after one year if you’re OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of residency, can you get residency after one year if you’re OOS?
Yes, absolutely. I am from CA and I am paying in state tuition and have been for a year. Will continue for my 3rd and 4th years. You will have to pay OOS for the first year though, which is expensive. But worth it since you save something like $120K

Depends on which West Coast schools. There are some schools that try to only select from other West Coast states (WICHE States).