Applying to all U.S. medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Poetry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
who's with me? We are bound to get at least one acceptance. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I feel sorry for your keyboard and your/your parents bank account. Good luck brahh.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you make a turd sandwich, and 30 people don't want to take a bite, the solution is not to ask 100 more people to try it

The dumbest suggestion ever. Many of the schools do not accept OOS applicants. So right there, you have wasted some big bucks. Furthermore, you are going to have too much work to do in completing supplementals. If you decide not to complete a supplemental, you've thrown away the money you spent for the primary. If you get a lot of interviews before getting even one acceptance, you'll feel obligated to go to all the interviews (the one you don't go on could be "the one"). That can be expensive and exhausting. The schools are very different, it is unlikely that you will be a good fit for more than 20 schools. Buy the MSAR, do the hard work, and whittle down your list. Donate a fraction of the money you save to SDN. :D

i know a guy who knows a guy who applied to 70+ and got into Northwestern

obviously no one caught the sarcasm...:oops:

We know you were being sarcastic, these responses were to the hypothetical pre-med who actually thought this was a good idea.

I honestly don't see a problem with applying to a ton of schools if you have the money/time. All it can do is help your chances of getting in somewhere. I do think though that spreading your time over that many applications might cause each of your applications to suffer a little bit. But if you can give each one the attention it deserves, and actually endure answering that many secondary prompts, go for it :D. Not for me though - I got sick of writing after secondary #21 or 22 and failed to send in the rest.

We know you were being sarcastic, these responses were to the hypothetical pre-med who actually thought this was a good idea.

I honestly don't see a problem with applying to a ton of schools if you have the money/time. All it can do is help your chances of getting in somewhere. I do think though that spreading your time over that many applications might cause each of your applications to suffer a little bit. But if you can give each one the attention it deserves, and actually endure answering that many secondary prompts, go for it :D. Not for me though - I got sick of writing after secondary #21 or 22 and failed to send in the rest.
Yea I definitely got burnt out after writing so many secondaries (it was 25 or so). At one school that I was considering pretty highly, I didn't submit it because it was the last to come and was too long. I can't imagine doing more than 30. 40 is insane already.

I wonder what the maximum is after which there will be practically no increase in likelihood of acceptance at least one school. I would guess it's around 40.

I wonder what the maximum is after which there will be practically no increase in likelihood of acceptance at least one school. I would guess it's around 40.

I think if someone applied to all the schools that required no secondary essay, they could probably apply to maybe 55-60 before burnout, if they were really strong-willed. If I remember correctly, there was a thread that listed all of the schools with no essays and I think there were about 25 on there. Those aren't too bad. I still wouldn't apply to that many. Inputting my pre-req grades, re-listing my amcas extracurriculars, and those other annoying things that appeared on nearly every secondary application started to get dreadful by the end too.