Applying to Angelo State DPT for 15-16 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steveyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting a thread for ASU applicants, since there isn't much info on this program on SDN and other sites.

It seems like there is a lot going for this program/campus (low cost, small class size, high employment rates, Carr scholarships, rich student life) despite it being not well-known.

I submitted the Rams app on 8/31 and according to my phone call with Amber, I may have been one of the first few applicants and wondering who else has applied there this cycle and would like to share some insight.

I, personally, am curious to know as much about this program as possible so please feel free to ask questions and make comments on ASU's DPT program on this thread (applicants, current SPT's, alumni, etc.)

And if you have heard back from them regarding interviews, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well to keep track of their timeline! Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current student at Angelo State. Let me know if you have any specific questions or anything you would like me to discuss!

Just starting a thread for ASU applicants, since there isn't much info on this program on SDN and other sites.

It seems like there is a lot going for this program/campus (low cost, small class size, high employment rates, Carr scholarships, rich student life) despite it being not well-known.

I submitted the Rams app on 8/31 and according to my phone call with Amber, I may have been one of the first few applicants and wondering who else has applied there this cycle and would like to share some insight.

I, personally, am curious to know as much about this program as possible so please feel free to ask questions and make comments on ASU's DPT program on this thread (applicants, current SPT's, alumni, etc.)

And if you have heard back from them regarding interviews, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well to keep track of their timeline! Good luck everyone.

Did you interview at ASU? I have an interview there this week!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i just interviewed there on friday. great people there!

yeah i just interviewed there on friday. great people there!
Awesome! Hope it went well! I'm looking forward to it

What is the writing session about? Amber just sent out the itinerary last week and I haven't had a chance to get in touch with her about it. I assume we have to write an essay? Kind of like writing on the GRE?

Awesome! Hope it went well! I'm looking forward to it

What is the writing session about? Amber just sent out the itinerary last week and I haven't had a chance to get in touch with her about it. I assume we have to write an essay? Kind of like writing on the GRE?
I can't tell you the topic silly! It's nothing you can really prepare for. But if you know what physical therapy is, you should be fine!

I can't tell you the topic silly! It's nothing you can really prepare for. But if you know what physical therapy is, you should be fine!
Of course not! I should have been clearer...I was just curious if "writing session" referred to writing a short response to some sort of prompt. Not sure what else it would refer to but you never know!

Is ASU your top choice or where is your top choice?

Did ya'll apply for early admission? I am thinking about applying this month but IDK yet

Did ya'll apply for early admission? I am thinking about applying this month but IDK yet
Yup! They are bringing in 30 some students for early admission consideration. It sounds like they will be offering 10 spots in their program to the early admissions candidates. The other 16 will be allocated after regular admissions in February. Have you applied anywhere else yet?

Yup! They are bringing in 30 some students for early admission consideration. It sounds like they will be offering 10 spots in their program to the early admissions candidates. The other 16 will be allocated after regular admissions in February. Have you applied anywhere else yet?
This is true. They've interviewed 16 last Friday and will interview around the same this week I believe. They're ranking the candidates and will fill up close to 10 (plus or minus 2ish) very soon (like a week after the interview). So out of the 30-32 early applicants, around a third will get offers so a good number of applicants from regular admissions may get offers, too. The fast turnaround is making me excited and nervous at the same time. But good luck to all of you!

Of course not! I should have been clearer...I was just curious if "writing session" referred to writing a short response to some sort of prompt. Not sure what else it would refer to but you never know!

Is ASU your top choice or where is your top choice?
Yeah ASU is definitely up there at the top with a few other in-state schools (GA resident). The small program has some good things going for them and tuition there is actually less than the most affordable program in my home state!

Anyone hear back from ASU yet for an offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear back from ASU yet for an offer?

I received an offer a couple days ago, on the 18th, after my interview the 13th. They were planning to offer 5 seats after the interviews on the 6th, and another 5 from the interviews on thh 13th. Dr. Weise said they will likely offer up another 5 spots in the program sometime in December.

Have you heard anything back from ASU or any other schools that you have applied to?

I received an offer a couple days ago, on the 18th, after my interview the 13th. They were planning to offer 5 seats after the interviews on the 6th, and another 5 from the interviews on thh 13th. Dr. Weise said they will likely offer up another 5 spots in the program sometime in December.

Have you heard anything back from ASU or any other schools that you have applied to?
Yeah I'm wait listed at GRU and it seems like I have been wait listed at ASU. Denied from North Georgia. Got 1 more interview lined up so fingers crossed.

But congrats! Was the program what you expected? And the writing wasn't too bad right?

Thanks!

The program was definitely what I expected! And I got really good vibes from the faculty/staff and students. I honestly think the program has a lot to offer and has a lot going for it, and that it is a bit of a hidden gem. Dr. Weise said they will likely go to PTCAS next year (hard to manage the volume of applications!) so the secret will soon be out!

The writing wasn't bad at all and basically the type of thing I had expected. What was your overall impression of ASU?

And good luck! Something will definitely work out for you! The DPT is a tough program to get into! You will have to let me know if you end up getting into and going to ASU!

Thanks!

The program was definitely what I expected! And I got really good vibes from the faculty/staff and students. I honestly think the program has a lot to offer and has a lot going for it, and that it is a bit of a hidden gem. Dr. Weise said they will likely go to PTCAS next year (hard to manage the volume of applications!) so the secret will soon be out!

The writing wasn't bad at all and basically the type of thing I had expected. What was your overall impression of ASU?

And good luck! Something will definitely work out for you! The DPT is a tough program to get into! You will have to let me know if you end up getting into and going to ASU!

Well aside from the nightmare travel experience (connecting flight cancelled and had to drive from Dallas to get to SA at 4am!) and running off of no sleep on interview day, I really enjoyed it at ASU! The campus was very modest compared to my undergrad, but I was super impressed by the faculty, especially the diversity in educational background and that Texan hospitality/warmth (starting with Amber ever since the first email) and that means a lot to me. Aside from some of the obvious, their appeal factor is also definitely the exposure to some cool research. And thanks! I'm waiting and hoping to hear some better news in the Spring!

How about you? Were you planning on attending ASU?? :D

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your travel troubles!
I can relate! I did my undergrad of the U of MN in the Twin Cities (second largest public university in the U.S.)! However I grew up in a very rural area of South Dakota so even though Minneapolis/St. Paul has been my home for a number of years now, I still consider a town of 100,000 to be a big town. But the town and community really surprised me! I loved everything about the program but was dreading living in San Angelo prior to visiting, but I think it is a lovely little town and I love the rivers and lakes! (And the warmer temps!). And honestly, I will be spending so much time studying that it won't really matter! And once we get into doing clinicals we can travel elsewhere. And yes the research is awesome! I work in a Gait and Motion Analysis lab so I am looking forward to doing some research in their motion analysis lab!

And yes, I am definitely going to ASU! Faxed in my offer as soon as I saw the email! :) It is definitely one of the best feelings! I just have this care-free feeling, and feeling as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

Good luck with the apps! I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

I can relate! I did my undergrad of the U of MN in the Twin Cities (second largest public university in the U.S.)! However I grew up in a very rural area of South Dakota so even though Minneapolis/St. Paul has been my home for a number of years now, I still consider a town of 100,000 to be a big town. But the town and community really surprised me! I loved everything about the program but was dreading living in San Angelo prior to visiting, but I think it is a lovely little town and I love the rivers and lakes! (And the warmer temps!). And honestly, I will be spending so much time studying that it won't really matter! And once we get into doing clinicals we can travel elsewhere. And yes the research is awesome! I work in a Gait and Motion Analysis lab so I am looking forward to doing some research in their motion analysis lab!

And yes, I am definitely going to ASU! Faxed in my offer as soon as I saw the email! :) It is definitely one of the best feelings! I just have this care-free feeling, and feeling as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

Congrats! And go rams :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user

oh btw, how much time did ASU give you to decide on putting down your deposit? Just wanted to see roughly when they may contact a few more people with offers, which will most likely take place shortly after the deposit deadline. thanks!

oh btw, how much time did ASU give you to decide on putting down your deposit? Just wanted to see roughly when they may contact a few more people with offers, which will most likely take place shortly after the deposit deadline. thanks!
I had until December 11th to decide, and they also let people request extensions if they had other interviews lined up. Honestly I would give Amber a call and just mention that you had interviewed during early admissions and were wondering if/when they would be sending out more offers to early admissions applicants. Also, you could ask to see if she can give you an idea of where you fall in the rankings. They are pretty good about that and I am sure they will have everyone from early admissions ranked. And it might not hurt either to ask how many people have accepted, declined, or have not yet responded, to help really give you an idea of your chances.

I had until December 11th to decide, and they also let people request extensions if they had other interviews lined up. Honestly I would give Amber a call and just mention that you had interviewed during early admissions and were wondering if/when they would be sending out more offers to early admissions applicants. Also, you could ask to see if she can give you an idea of where you fall in the rankings. They are pretty good about that and I am sure they will have everyone from early admissions ranked. And it might not hurt either to ask how many people have accepted, declined, or have not yet responded, to help really give you an idea of your chances.
yeah, Amber is usually really good about that. and I've asked her a million questions already, so I was just checking with you, too. I've already asked her about where I'm at and she says I'm mid-pack and in "good standing." Don't really know what that means but apparently my computed score is well above the avg of the Stage II candidates, so I hope to hear good news... hopefully sooner than later since the waiting game blows....

Anyway, 12/11. Good to know. Thanks. I'll probably wait another week before I contact Amber. I contact her every other week or so and I'll be patient this time and let her do her thing.

yeah, Amber is usually really good about that. and I've asked her a million questions already, so I was just checking with you, too. I've already asked her about where I'm at and she says I'm mid-pack and in "good standing." Don't really know what that means but apparently my computed score is well above the avg of the Stage II candidates, so I hope to hear good news... hopefully sooner than later since the waiting game blows....

Anyway, 12/11. Good to know. Thanks. I'll probably wait another week before I contact Amber. I contact her every other week or so and I'll be patient this time and let her do her thing.
The waiting game does blow! I hope you hear some good news soon too!

Is anyone interviewing or have interviewed this month for the class starting in June? I think every candidate should hear back with final decisions in the next few weeks.

I interviewed 2/12 and was just notified that I'm 1st on the alternate list....... so close!!!! I'm really hoping there is someone that declines.

I interviewed 2/12 and was just notified that I'm 1st on the alternate list....... so close!!!! I'm really hoping there is someone that declines.
Wow that must be a horrible feeling and a great feeling at the same time. I spoke to amber and she said at least 2ish people move up per year so you're in good standing! I'm just a few spots after but thankful to be one of the ten on the alternate list.

If any accepted students are planning to enroll elsewhere, please let Amber know sooner than later! It would really help us folks on the alternate list plan ahead. Thanks!

Good luck! I am guessing that the people that they made offers to from the rounds of interviewing in February have not yet all replied with their decision so it is likely that you will get an offer! Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Wow that must be a horrible feeling and a great feeling at the same time. I spoke to amber and she said at least 2ish people move up per year so you're in good standing! I'm just a few spots after but thankful to be one of the ten on the alternate list.
Good luck steveyk! Hope you make it off the alternate list!

Last year I believe we had a couple people get in off the alternate list and we had someone get accepted just a couple of weeks before classes began. So good luck to both of you!

to the other waitlisted folks, any word?

Hey steveyk,

I was number one on the waitlist and was just offered and accepted a spot on Monday. jduck27 is my wife and she was just being helpful and posting for me, but I decided to make my own account. I'm very excited.

Good luck to you sir!

Hey steveyk,

I was number one on the waitlist and was just offered and accepted a spot on Monday. jduck27 is my wife and she was just being helpful and posting for me, but I decided to make my own account. I'm very excited.

Good luck to you sir!
Thanks, that's good news for both of us! Congrats!

i was taken off the waitlist and will be attending ASU 100%. PTL!

Cheers to low debt!

Last edited:
i was taken off the waitlist and am will be attending ASU 100%. PTL!

Cheers to low debt!
AWESOME!!!! Congrats! I had a feeling that there would still be a change in the class roster! And I think most programs do not start until Fall, so likely some candidates hear back from other schools around this time and change their mind and of course, life happens!
Glad to hear the good news! Looks like I will see you next month for orientation!

AWESOME!!!! Congrats! I had a feeling that there would still be a change in the class roster! And I think most programs do not start until Fall, so likely some candidates hear back from other schools around this time and change their mind and of course, life happens!
Glad to hear the good news! Looks like I will see you next month for orientation!
yes! looking forward to seeing you and the others. can't believe i'll be moving there in about a month... wow