Applying to both MD and DO schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is getting so exciting picking schools!!! I am not sure which I would choose if accepted to both MD and DO schools. I like both but like the DO philosophy as well... Anyhoo - here is my dilemma. I have my DO schools picked but not my MD.

I am more confident in my applying to a DO school with my stats but still want to try a few MD schools. I have 3.3 GPA and 3.2 BMCP... MCATs are on the way... great EC's, volunteering, shadowing and LORs... I am Mexican -American, but I don't know if I want to use that in my application, but just to give you all my information...

I know if I get an interview somewhere I can nail it. I love interviews and believe I am truly myself and can effortlessly let my passion shine through. However, yes there are some that will be like "You have no chance, don't bother with MD."

I am NOT looking for criticism because I have heard it ALL BEFORE!!! What I was hoping to get info on was what schools would you all apply to (MD ones) if you were in my GPA situation?

I am applying to my in-state schools, of which one I am getting a letter from a professor who happens to be on the board of admissions there - but what others?

So far:

UofM (went here a year for undergrad and really didn't like it - so i most likely will skip this instate school)

MSU (is now my undergrad)

WSU (my dream school!)

Thinking Rosalind, Case, Drexel.... anyway I never thought it would be so hard to pick my MD schools but I need some good direction!!!

PLEASE HELP!

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're from Mich, how about some of the Ohio schools? Case is a good idea, also MCO, OSU, and Cinci, maybe? Good luck.

u have a decent GPA, and if your MCAT is 28+, I would say you should have no problem getting into an MD school as a mexican american. shoot for top tier even.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with xCD420. Not that you'll get into a top tier school, but it's worth applying to one or two, and a bunch of middle tier as well. And definitely use your Mexican-American status on your ap -- it's a great opportunity for you to get into good schools, and it would be silly not to use all of the advantages available to you. I think if you're willing to send out a bunch of applications you have a good chance of getting into a pretty good school, and almost definitely into an MD school somewhere. Of course this depends on your MCAT being 28+...really 30+ would probably almost guarantee you a spot, if you use your URM status to your advantage.

Good luck!

xCD420 said:
u have a decent GPA, and if your MCAT is 28+, I would say you should have no problem getting into an MD school as a mexican american. shoot for top tier even.

Wow, I wasn't expecting these responses! Maybe I am being too tough on myself...

Anyway, I am trying to stay in primary care and not researching schools. Living in the Michigan Area, are there any suggestions as to schools in Ohio, Illinois, or other schools?

What top tier schools were you referring to? The ones on US NEWS?

dont say you're not interesetd in research in your interveiws. if your not interested in research, that's fine, however, best not to bring that up. If the interviewer asks you about research, you can indicate that you are interested in primary care, but also make sure to say something like you are looking forward to research opportunities in med school as a possible way to make you a better thinker, a better physician, whatever. research is a big push nowadays. schools don't expect you to be a PhD, however, many top schools expect one to be enthusiastic about research as a way to be a better physician -- every good physician is a good critical thinker and research is one way to hone this skill. i said i was not really interested in reserach at my interview at Case and i think i will never get off the waitlist now. I should have lied and said something like, "oh I am absolutely looking forward to the research that is integrated into the curriculum at CWRU."

I would try applying to Boston University. I'm a bit biased as I went there for undergrad, but BU has a reputation of being very focused on diversity. We have a huge international student population and BU is always looking to attract minorities. You might qualify for some scholarships.

The only negative thing about BU is it's $$$$.

Please don't write off UMichigan, without looking at it as a med school. It is one of the best in the country, and might give your application a close look.

I'm guessing the atmosphere at the med school is a little different than the undergrad.

Jezzielin said:
Anyway, I am trying to stay in primary care ...

You really shouldn't lock yourself down to a specialty before you even start. From what I've heard, most people change their minds about what specialty suits them best at least once during the med school process. You really should pick a school that you will thrive at but that also doesn't shut off future options.

liverotcod said:
Please don't write off UMichigan, without looking at it as a med school. It is one of the best in the country, and might give your application a close look.

I'm guessing the atmosphere at the med school is a little different than the undergrad.

Yeah one of my GSIs there was a medical student and she was a wonderful person who really didn't represent that of which I didn't like in undergrad... I will def consider it! Thanks!

Does anyone else have some more advice for me? Schools to apply to - or maybe even avoid?? :confused:

One more thing!!! To some of the people applying to "reach" schools... how much of a reach are they for you?